Didn’t know Ashi still made honyaki knives. Any other knives that have supposedly stopped being made

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daizone

Reaction score
I didn’t know Ashi still made honyakis. Are there these knives that some knife makers have supposedly stopped or make very seldom (or possible old stock)? Just saw the gesshin one sell out in about 2 minutes. Congrats to the buyer!

I obviously don't know but guessing that order may have been placed by Jon some time ago.

Last edited:
This was ordered in 2013

I will be getting more, but it’s not a fast process. I just had a talk with him yesterday about this and have a good idea of what is or is not possible based on their current workload and what he needs to do to make these knives. I still have a bunch on order from 2013 and on too.

This was ordered in 2013

I will be getting more, but it’s not a fast process. I just had a talk with him yesterday about this and have a good idea of what is or is not possible based on their current workload and what he needs to do to make these knives. I still have a bunch on order from 2013 and on too.
Jon, now that Ashi is semi-retired, is he still personally making the current honyaki knives? Or has he passed on that responsibility to someone else? Something like Shiraki and Nakagawa?

Jon, now that Ashi is semi-retired, is he still personally making the current honyaki knives? Or has he passed on that responsibility to someone else? Something like Shiraki and Nakagawa?

Who said that ashi-San is partially retired?

to answer your question, yes, he is still make them himself

I didn’t know Ashi still made honyakis. Are there these knives that some knife makers have supposedly stopped or make very seldom (or possible old stock)? Just saw the gesshin one sell out in about 2 minutes. Congrats to the buyer!

Hattori still makes KD30s

210/240/270 gyutos
santoku
135/150 petty

only these 6

Who said that ashi-San is partially retired?
Didn’t he become really sick recently and was out of action for a while? Word from my source was he was going to semi-retire after.

Didn’t he become really sick recently and was out of action for a while? Word from my source was he was going to semi-retire after.

He was a little sick some time ago but he’s fine now. I really wish people would stop posting conjecture so abundantly on here. There are all kinds of things that can lead to these problems... here say, lost in translation issues, and even malicious disinformation

Back