Difference cutting a carrot with a nakiri, santoku and small gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid question, but how exactly do you articulate the difference in how a nakiri, santoku and small gyuto cut, for example, a carrot? I was thinking the way you'd articulate it is the nakiri makes push cutting easy because of its straight edge and it's designed for vegetables. The santoku has a slightly less straight edge and is comparable but slightly worse given its more generalist design. The gyuto can do it too though the edge is curved, and the tip makes a small gyuto easier to work with for onions. Thinking this through explains why people here probably advise to get a gyuto as a general purpose knife, add a nakiri if you like how that cuts vegetables, and have much less use for a santoku?

Sound effects aside, I think the "cutting the carrot" thing is a bad example to try and differentiate use of the three types. Unless your carrots are big like small cabbages or potatoes at least, all three knives have more than enough real estate for you to chose cutting more with the tip, belly, or heel, and enough height too at all points. Of course tip is rarely used since a carrot is so dense and hard, but it does work anyhow.

And a Santoku's tip is like a rounder bunka; most of them - and Bunkas - are quite good for fine work on schallots, garlic and onions - being taller at the tip than a Gyuto actually helps using your knuckle as a guide for the knife as you cut fine slices, or tip work on stuff for dicing. Not that a Gyuto doesn't work as well - I just don't see how a Santoku wouldn't.

Help me out, I’m trying to justify buying all three in case it isn’t obvious.
I dont know how to describe the difference per say but this is how I use mine.
Chop/push cut only like celery, carrot, cucumber, small tomato I will grab my Nakiri. I do a lot of Veggie so its probably my most used knife
If I am adding onions, shallots, garlic etc. oh and potatoes I grab my Bunka (not a santoku fan) because of the tip work and for some reason my Kurosaki Bunka loves potatoes.
If I have ton of prep work or long pull cuts like celery or cucumber lengthwise I grab my 240 Gyuto.
If I could only have one Gyuto, 2 I love my Nakiri but for small quick prep my Bunka is priceless

For small prep my Santokus are priceless. I love Santokus/Bunkas.

Of course that's because I like having more than one knife. All said I prefer a 200-210mm Gyuto for small preps too, but when I revert to Santokus, I remember why this shape is so pleasant to work with.

I prefer cutting carrots with tipped knives. If you push in a guillotine motion with the curve you can reduce cracking by quite a bit versus approaching with the heel, since you're using the thinnest and shortest part of the blade.

Help me out, I’m trying to justify buying all three in case it isn’t obvious.
Could try a bunka? They're a good middle ground between a Santoku and a Nakiri. Often flatter than a Santoku but still has the tip unlike a Nakiri.

A lot of Bunkas are rounded, a lot of Santokus are flat. It's really about determining which tip you like best, and going for a profile that suits you. Even some 180mm Gyutos are almost Santokus in profile and tip, and some Santokus have such either a long, or slightly higher, tip that they sort of look like or will feel like a Gyuto with a somewhat fatter tip.

Short knife with some forward balance: nakiri. A short knife with a little more tip maneuverability: santoku. A short knife with much more maneuverability: small gyuto or petty.

Short knife with some forward balance: nakiri. A short knife with a little more tip maneuverability: santoku. A short knife with much more maneuverability: small gyuto or petty.

I like it; I’ll add that a Santoku’s tradeoff is also a taller blade than Gyuto/Petty, and the ability to add proteins to the prep compared to the Nakiri. But of course that’s me pointing out aspects that put Santokus in the best light.

The sad truth is that a Santoku is only nice when it can be selected instead of a Gyuto. In the beginning of this knife madness I was forced to use only my Victo Santoku for 6 weeks because of a shipping error combined with a dumb vendor. When I finally received the Gyuto I almost started cutting things when it was still packed. I craved that tip and maneuvrability.

I like it; I’ll add that a Santoku’s tradeoff is also a taller blade than Gyuto/Petty, and the ability to add proteins to the prep compared to the Nakiri. But of course that’s me pointing out aspects that put Santokus in the best light.

The sad truth is that a Santoku is only nice when it can be selected instead of a Gyuto. In the beginning of this knife madness I was forced to use only my Victo Santoku for 6 weeks because of a shipping error combined with a dumb vendor. When I finally received the Gyuto I almost started cutting things when it was still packed. I craved that tip and maneuvrability.
I think my most used knife is a Zakuri Tosa style, which is sort of a petty-santoku now.

rOwgtDW.jpg

I usually use my cleavers and nakiri if I want more height and forward balance, but an agile maneuverable petty with a flattish edge and low tip is very pleasant to use in my tiny kitchen. But that's just me.

Get them all.

Santouku for carrots on monday and wednesday. Nakiri for carrots on Tuesday and Thursday. Gyuto for Carrots on Friday and Sunday. You'll need another knife for Saturday Carrots. Maybe a chinese cleaver.
This is the kind of moral support I was looking for!

Short knife with some forward balance: nakiri. A short knife with a little more tip maneuverability: santoku.
What I'm still trying to articulate, though, is when people want a nakiri over a santoku, bunka or anything else.

It will depends on more than one style of knife, and on more than being just that type. A Nakiri can be way taller, heavier than most Santoku. Some are neither so tall nor hefty but still have that flat profile. Perhaps it’s a short 160mm one, or a longer one. Perhaps it’s their style of cutting, or produces they have to prep often. Perhaps its just for fun, perhaps in their hand it just feels right. Perhaps they don’t own a Santoku nor Bunka and couldn’t care less because they don’t see anything in it. Who knows? You do... or perhaps you don’t because you didn’t try it.

But is this a santoku that's shaped more like a gyuto and more curved like one?
I don't think it's curved like a conventional gyuto.
What I'm still trying to articulate, though, is when people want a nakiri over a santoku, bunka or anything else.
Nakiri can give more weight and rigidity up front without having to add thickness. When doing repeated thrust cuts on materials where limited cutting force is needed, the added height at the tip may be pleasant to use. It is also a little easier to use as a scoop.

You may want to consider what’s the strength of various different shapes rather than how they differ on an individual vegetable.

I think of a Nakiri as being optimized for green vegetables. I don’t think it’s a fabulous shape for carrots. If I want to chiffonade kale for caldo verde a nakiri is my go to knife. Anything to do with cabbage too.

If I’m holding small vegetables between my fingers (ie, garlic, shallots) and doing tunnel cuts a 180 gyuto is my choice, or a tall 165 petty. I suppose you could use a burka for this, I’ve never owned one.

If I leave a knife at my gf house, or hand a knife to a guest in my house I find a Santoku is best suited for that.

Theres a fair bit of usefulness to a petty, a beater and a honesuki in my kitchen too. I even have a paring knife.

Everything else I use a full size gyuto.

Last edited:
I just spit all over the screen.

Anyone know the difference driving on the street between a sedan, broom, truck and compact car? Asking for a friend of an acquaintances accountant.
Sorry not me. I don’t have a driver’s license.

Back