Differences between those two knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawa

Reaction score
Hi,

I've talked myself into buying a new knife.
Looking for a santoku/bunka, in white steel, 170-180mm. I want a knife with a blackish clad, purely because i like the looks of it, don't know the propper name for that.
Availabibity (easy to order for me and on stock) also played a role.

I've narrowed it down to two knives.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/santoku/santoku_nashiji-2352-detail
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/santoku/santoku_yoshikane-detail
I'm interessted in a choil shot, because that would tip the scale on wich one to buy. To be honest, I dont know what im looking for per se, but i'd make up my mind about which seems more interessting to me when i see some choilshots. Im new to knives and havent tried many, so I guess i just want to experience one or the other.
Choil shots are hard to find. Googling the knives by the info on the sites leeds to many different series, sometimes different steel, sometimes different appearance. No help there.

Who has used one of those knives? How would you describe it? If I can't find a geometry shot maybe some stories or experiences can help me out.

You can shoot cc a email directly and ask about their general differences in grind imo. I believe, the yoshi has the thinner grind of them, while the hinoura might have a slightly better release (edit; cc have the better answers, mine are based on what I handled a couple of years ago)

Last edited:
I'd expect @RDalman is on the money. Found some choil shots here -> The Hinoura choil is here and here's the Yoshikane here

Also check out the 185 version (Yoshi). A little longer and a lot taller for just a little more.

Your results are exactly my point in the OP. The hinouri is white1 vs white2 and different handle. Can I just assume here the grind is the same for 'my' hinoura, or might it be different series so different grind?
The yoshi looks the same, apart from the handle. Doesn't that matter, or might it be a different knife?

Thx for the 185 version suggestion 👍 will consider it

Back