different cutting boards and how the knife slides on them

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you are cutting on too high a surface and when you get to the heel the amount of pressure increases due to this?

Otherwise maybe just blunt the heel a bit for experimentation.

it turns out that its something in the heel section of the cleaver that is causing the cleaver to stick to the wooden board i dont knowwhat it is but when every part of the cleaver except the heel touches the board it slides perfectly fine also i checked it with no pressure applied as @ian suggested but the heel section of the cleaver seems to dig in the wooden board causing it to stick
any suggestion are welcome !!!!

Take a look at this to see if this is what you're experiencing

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/rounded-the-heel-tip-on-yoshi-skd.56111/#post-856333

Maybe you are cutting on too high a surface and when you get to the heel the amount of pressure increases due to this?

Otherwise maybe just blunt the heel a bit for experimentation.
i am not sure how does the height of the surface affects but i have tried to glide the cleaver with 0 pressure applied as soon as the heel section contacts the wooden cutting board i encounter a dead stop

it seems simmilar altough my problem is in the heel area/section of the cleaver
I don’t think rounding the heel will help much. You need to actually lose some steel to make it subtly curve. I lowered the height of mine by maybe 0.5 mm to make it natural now. The redline shows where I lowered the height a little bit (last 4-5 cm). The cost is the last 4-5 cm are now a little thicker right behind the edge than other areas, but it's ok as I don't often use that part for cutting anyway.

View attachment 148518

I think I agree with Hz in that Yoshi SKD in general has a flatter profile, which makes it a bit less "gliding". That said, I just did a quick experiment with my Yoshi SKD, Blazen 240mm, and Wat Pro Nakiri -- put the edge flat on my Aomori Hiba cutting board (known to be very soft) and push them across the board and then simulating the rocking motion by pushing down the heel a bit. The now rounded Yoshi definitely glides better because the heel isn't digging in. On my Hasegawa (brown) board, much less "digging" feel because of the material.

Still, Yoshi's flatter profile and very thin edge drag just a bit when the edge is completely flat; this likely affects the push-cutters a bit more. Nonetheless, I think the rounded heel helps. Yoshi SKD sure is a great cutter.

i am not sure how does the height of the surface affects but i have tried to glide the cleaver with 0 pressure applied as soon as the heel section contacts the wooden cutting board i encounter a dead stop
Feel with your nail whether the bevels and the edge feel smooth in both ways. Perhaps is it time to give that cleaver a first, decent sharpening. You're still using the factory edge, aren't you?

Feel with your nail whether the bevels and the edge feel smooth in both ways. Perhaps is it time to give that cleaver a first, decent sharpening. You're still using the factory edge, aren't you?
yes i am still using the factory edge to me both bevels feel smooth

yes i am still using the factory edge to me both bevels feel smooth
Why do you think I was asking about how the edge felt in either direction?
I asked about the bevels and the edge and get only a partial answer: yes, the bevels do feel smooth. I don't know what kind of little game you're playing here.

Why do you think I was asking about how the edge felt in either direction?
I asked about the bevels and the edge and get only a partial answer: yes, the bevels do feel smooth. I don't know what kind of little game you're playing here.
not playing no games i guess i dont know what i am checking for please explain more in detail what am i supposed to check and how do i check
what do you mean by either direction ?
the edge (where i check for burrs) does feel smooth

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that!
Bacon fat and duck fat are a couple other decadent options for popping corn. Highly recommended!

edit: guess I should have finished the thread before posting as OldSaw beat me to the recommendation (at least for bacon fat). Of course this has nothing to do with the OP's question, so...SQUIRREL!:rolleyes:

Bacon fat and duck fat are a couple other decadent options for popping corn. Highly recommended!

edit: guess I should have finished the thread before posting as OldSaw beat me to the recommendation (at least for bacon fat). Of course this has nothing to do with the OP's question, so...SQUIRREL!:rolleyes:
Oooo… duck fat. I haven’t tried that yet.

I'm in the upper 14%

And it's *****y soap.
It used to taste like soap to me. HATED it. Had to send food back if there was undisclosed cilantro in it. Then I started to love it. No idea how long the change took, but it's weird as hell.

It used to taste like soap to me. HATED it. Had to send food back if there was undisclosed cilantro in it. Then I started to love it. No idea how long the change took, but it's weird as hell.

not liking coriander/cilantro does not correspond with having the tastes-like-soap-gene (OR6A2) – or vice versa.
it can, of course, but doesn't have to.

basically : if u don't like cilantro, you're just a picky child with underdeveloped taste. if you like it : you know what’s good in life :)

and its not uncommon that one’s initial dislike for coriander changes with time (just like with coffee, pickled herring, grappa …)

Last edited:
1) I much hated cilantro when I first had it as a teen in Mexican shrimp cocktail in Mérida; the red dipping sauce was loaded with it. I wondered aloud 'Who put effing soap in my camarones'. Eventually I allowed cilantro in smaller doses, and gradually learned to love it. Yes, love it. Now I eagerly take cilantro in high doses and use it regularly. Culinary heroin, cilantro is, but I hope less addicting. The fact that one may habituate to cilantro's bright and tangy pleasures, makes me believe that those disliking it from early on are not handicapped by a purely genetic peculiarity, but rather by such analogous and simple mental forces as those that spurred my early repugnancy towards American Bologna. Now that pasty gray abomination is still on my very short no-no list. (I doubt my brain has a dysfunctional baloney receptor. Also, I'm wondering if there are Mexicans orThai who wont eat cilantro.)

2) My CCK Chinese veg. cleaver similarly cuts into my cherry board at the knife heel when chopping and sometimes slicing. This was quite disconcerting at first. My CCK is a very flat knife with a particularly flat heel. I don't have any other knife that's that flat at the heel. I can compensate by putting less pressure on the heel when cutting, though I still get an occasional surprise dig. I imagine that slightly rounding the geometry towards the heel, over about 2 inches, to make it less than dead flat would be a more sensible strategy than increasing the bevel angle, but I don't use a cleaver enough to bother trying either. Maybe some day.

Last edited:
1) I much hated cilantro when I first had it as a teen in Mexican shrimp cocktail in Mérida; the red dipping sauce was loaded with it. I wondered aloud 'Who put effing soap in my camarones'. Eventually I allowed cilantro in smaller doses, and gradually learned to love it. Yes, love it. Now I eagerly take cilantro in high doses and use it regularly. Culinary heroin, cilantro is, but I hope less addicting. The fact that one may habituate to cilantro's bright and tangy pleasures, makes me believe that those disliking it from early on are not handicapped by a purely genetic peculiarity, but rather by such analogous and simple mental forces as those that spurred my early repugnancy towards American Bologna. Now that pasty gray abomination is still on my very short no-no list. (I doubt my brain has a dysfunctional baloney receptor. Also, I'm wondering if there are Mexicans orThai who wont eat cilantro.)

2) My CCK Chinese veg. cleaver similarly cuts into my cherry board at the knife heel when chopping and sometimes slicing. This was quite disconcerting at first. My CCK is a very flat knife with a particularly flat heel. I don't have any other knife that's that flat at the heel. I can compensate by putting less pressure on the heel when cutting, though I still get an occasional surprise dig. I imagine that slightly rounding the geometry towards the heel, over about 2 inches, to make it less than dead flat would be a more sensible strategy than increasing the bevel angle, but I don't use a cleaver enough to bother trying either. Maybe some day.
Yes! Thank you! You are the first person I've heard of who also had the genetic soap tasting which later turned to addiction! Very odd, but I'm glad!

i was around 18 when i first started noticing cilantro in food. maybe i hadn't had it much before that.
but my chinese friend's dad would cook for us. i remember one dish in particular that was like tomatoes, eggs, cilantro, and idk what else. man, the taste was powerful and very bad. it almost prevented me from enjoying the dish.

now i enjoy eating it. do i have the soap gene? no clue
i love it in salsa and on tacos. stuff like that.

again : having the 'soap gene' does not amount to disliking cilantro.

As long as you enjoy eating soap. 😂

Seriously though we are agreeing. I am assuming because cilantro used to taste like soap to me (not just bad, very specifically like soap) that I have the gene, but somewhere along the line it either stopped tasting like that or I somehow adapted to it.

And @sansho, I would guess you do not have the gene. It is very specifically like eating soap, not just very bad.

Back