Different stone or grit, that is the question...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently I own SP320, 1K, 5K.

Also will soon receive the Atoma 140, but that will be mostly flattening/dressing.

I don't have any particularities for or against them stones. I must admit my favorite in terms of feedback is the 320, and that somehow neither the 1K nor the 5K I find particularly pleasing, although they can be used and will continue to be used.

Problem is this is all I know.

Say I'm ready to buy three other stones. It's not really a matter of buying "better" but different. I need to know if said difference I find works better for me.

For example SP2K seems to be a favorite, while my SP1K seems to be considered so and so. SP2K is definitely in my top choices. It could be Shapton Glass too, many people seem to like the coarser ones for many ops.

I'd prefer these to be more budget oriented, but I'm still eyeing things like Naniwa Green Brick and Rika 5K because I hear good things.

So let's say budget is max 75 CAD for coarse, max 120$ CAD for med, max 150$ CAD for polishing.

Please have at it, tell me what would be different enough, pleasing enough, that compared to my experience I should definitively want to try.

Thank you very much.

I just love the shapton pro 1500k. Great for edge or wide bevel sharpening and I like the feedback. I do not like the 1k, have not tried a 2k. FWIW

Yes @M1k3 if I remember correctly seems to love the 1.5K. It's in the top pics already, didn't mention it because I don't see much of it available anywhere. Great input thanks!

Yes @M1k3 if I remember correctly seems to love the 1.5K. It's in the top pics already, didn't mention it because I don't see much of it available anywhere. Great input thanks!
The 2k actually. Haven't tried the 1.5k, yet. I believe Steampunk reviewed it though in his stone comparison thread.

Godammit nice of you to mention the steampunk threads too!

Like your very post in there about SG500 being a favorite.
Yes it is. It's almost ideal, to me, for it's grit. Soft enough to release more grit with slightly higher pressure, not hulk pressure though. Hard enough to lightly load/polish with light pressure. I'll definitely get the double thick one when I wear it out.

But stones I'd look at would be Rika like @Carl Kotte mentioned and Cerax. Hishiboshi's, Super Stone for polishing, just not the 220, look at 1k+ grits... Glass 4k+ stones. Kitayama 8k? King 8k? Sigma speckled Ceramic 6k?

Should have looked back with Paul of course!

OK I can have either the 1500 or 2000 from Shapton Pro.

Someone has (tried) both and has input about their difference?

If you are looking for something that will be very different from what you have, the Rika 5000 is a no brainer. Its a unique stone (in terms of feel) that will clearly be different then the stones you have. The SP2000 is a good stone, but it won't be "noticeably" different than what you currently have.

The Rika is indeed the one and only polishing stone in the top list yet.

Although I trust M1k3 and he said Shapton Glass 4K +... that counts. And then the suggested Naniwa 8 and 10K.

My problem is 5K I already have and while grit systems differ it’s more or less of the same thing. I have to trust that it’s worth it’s weight even at similar grits against most of its competition.

But yeah that was exactly what I asked for. Thanks!!!

To show a bit of my seriousness...

That’s from a guy who thinks that - or doesn’t care much whether or not - his brick and pond have been rinsed enough to let dry at the end of a leisure day.

IMG_4986[1].JPG

:p :p

Polisher is set then - it'll be the Rika. I guess I should go through there before going to higher polishers. I feel I don't understand this stone all that much, although my last sharpening was also an attempt to experience the difference it could bring as well as the problems it may cause.

There's also the few synthetic natural stones that JKI and JNS carry also.

Synthetic natural stone, that sounds paradoxical. I'll guess those are the kind of cheaper priced "naturals" I saw at a couple of places, and if I remember correctly, are more or less of a collage of bits of otherwise unusable true naturals?

The mid grit I'm still pondering on the SP1500 / 2000 vs Naniwa Pro 800. I'm thinking going with a different brand altogether there too, but so much nice things were said about the Shaptons.

In the coarse grit the Shapton Glass 500 retains the best of my attention.

Coarse Grit: Morihei Hi 500,
Mid Grit: King Hyper 1K/Shapton Pro 2K
Finishing Stone: Kitayama 8K or go BIG with Shapton Pro 12K( even though you don't need this for a kitchen knife, unless for razor & woodworking )

Polisher is set then - it'll be the Rika. I guess I should go through there before going to higher polishers. I feel I don't understand this stone all that much, although my last sharpening was also an attempt to experience the difference it could bring as well as the problems it may cause.

Synthetic natural stone, that sounds paradoxical. I'll guess those are the kind of cheaper priced "naturals" I saw at a couple of places, and if I remember correctly, are more or less of a collage of bits of otherwise unusable true naturals?
They're mixed grit synthetic. Meant to mimic either aesthetics and/or sharpening of natural stones.

Assumptions are my worst enemy. But then truly one question is in my mind: why would one want to have different grits mixed together? Or a natural stone? Leading me to a path we all know so well: ecstatic doom in a joyful money pit.

No... I... won't... arrrrrrghhh... WHY???

I was all ready to click that little purchase button. Will go back to scanning a little more. At once read the rest of Steampunk thread for the very least. I will however click that purchase button. This order isn't going to change.

The NP800 is set. Advised by one person I trust very much, supported by @bahamaroot here whom I can't help to trust. The Rika is also set, thanks to almost universal approval - hard not to trust when "universal" means "people on this forum". I have to try this one and get to understand why. And the SG500 is set. Wanted to try one of these from the start. Didn't know what I was up against. M1k3 yet again earned my total trust and vouched for the SG500 - there it goes.

Thanks to all of your input. Some other suggestions were computed forward a future list of "heck I have to try this".

And against my best intentions before this thread goes to oblivion, I want to know more about the love of J-Nats. Any first consideration to send me forward damnation and get rid of me in a same go will be appreciated.

Regarding the natural synthetics, the idea is they'll create a consistent, not necessarily the best, contrast between the core and cladding. On the sharpening aspect, the mixed grit leaves an edge that is mix of coarse/bite and polish.

Natural stones I haven't touched...

I know you’ve decided on Rika already, but here is another vote for it. Great stone.

For pre-1K consider Naniwa Pro 400. Its more of 600 grit like stone. I think Paul carries it.

I know you’ve decided on Rika already, but here is another vote for it. Great stone.

For pre-1K consider Naniwa Pro 400. Its more of 600 grit like stone. I think Paul carries it.

Why do you advise the latter - what do you like about it? Any comparative experience with the SG500?

Regarding the natural synthetics, the idea is they'll create a consistent, not necessarily the best, contrast between the core and cladding. On the sharpening aspect, the mixed grit leaves an edge that is mix of coarse/bite and polish.

Natural stones I haven't touched...

Oh that's it then? I didn't feel any pull towards going for more information and spending a thousand dollars in J-Nats...

Phew!... 😅

Thanks @M1k3

Another question I might have is, considering I'll have an Atoma soon, should I still look into something like a Nagura? Or use the atoma, or a stone eraser, or just another stone?

Also... Naniwa stone holder... do I need one?

I keep getting mixed reviews of this... rubber stinks, rods rust, etc...

I also read the rubber on each end is too high to allow using a stone that's become very thin out of use... anyone has ever tried to cut into the rubber to get a bit more clearance?

Latest posts

Back