Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
My gyuto has some stains on it....it doesn't look nice like a patina would....they actually look like water spots you see on silverware you don't wipe properly.

I generally take pretty good care of not leaving the knife wet for long but not really sure where these came from. Having a hard time getting these out, any suggestions? I've tried Barkeepers friend to no help.

Also, a friend gave me a little rubbery eraser thingy for removing some rust. I used it to clean up and remove the patina on one of my carbon knives. Didn't look exactly like rust but alittle too yellow and made me concerned... What is this little thing called? BTW I tried it on a small spot on my konosuke and now instead of a round stain, there is a 1 square inch "scratch"....good job by me....

I'm wondering if this "scratch" is the original colour my knife was but I can't remember.

These are all only visible at certain angles. (coincidentally the angle that I see when I look down at my knife as I'm using it)

Funny...I thought these were tools. My knives have a lot of "soul". I think its weird people work on keeping their knives pristine. My knives are clean but all, including my stainless have some type of patina.

I like my patinas. These just look dirty and they bug me! They look exactly like watermarks and after the hard time I give waiters about keeping glasses and cutlery watermark free I feel a need to get these off

this happens to the semi-stainless steels (at least every one i have ever tried)... you can try to polish them out, but no matter what you do, they will come back at some point

there is no negative effect from this... just doesnt look as pretty

I like my patinas. These just look dirty and they bug me! They look exactly like watermarks and after the hard time I give waiters about keeping glasses and cutlery watermark free I feel a need to get these off

For the stains, try some toothpaste on a paper towel. You can also try NevrDull polishing wadding and if that doesn't work, white polishing compound.

The abraded patch you put on with the "eraser" will take a bit of work with a Micro-Mesh pad.

Rick

Don't fight the patina! It is your friend!

I grew up with carbon knives, and I don't like when carbon knives are only ever shown in shiny pristine condition. They are like that for about a week, and then patina riddled for the next 50 years.

this happens to the semi-stainless steels (at least every one i have ever tried)... you can try to polish them out, but no matter what you do, they will come back at some point

there is no negative effect from this... just doesnt look as pretty

Ok no problem at least I know it is normal for semi-stainless. To be honest I think I would rather have the white#2 konosuke since I think patina looks good but these "water spots" are pretty ugly. Oh well, I'll just let it go.

I have the same thing on my Ichi TKC...they do stain less, but the stain does look like water spots. Personally I think trying to polish out or remove stains or patina open up the pores, resulting in more stain.

My Devin Thomas ITK Western Gyuto also has a small stain.

My TKC has quite a bit of these stains going on, give it some time and they will blend together.

I have experienced this with my HD. The first "spot" literally drove me crazy, and it seems, there is no removing them. Now months later, the entire blade is covered with hazy spots, so it looks almost evenly worn, and it no longer bothers me.

I'm not sure why, but its not the same as carbon patina, which can be quickly removed with some lite rubbing; this stuff seems to be deep in the steel.

Not sure if it's the same but my Hattori FH has loads of little tiny brown dots on it and it's stainless. They won't come off at all

I just gave up trying to get rid of the stains on my TKC and soaked the whole thing in mustard for about an hour...smells like a carbon knife now and it's dark gray

On my kono HD, on the edge it looks like chips in the blade when you look straight onto it, so i got the magnifying glass out to make sure and it looks like little spots of rust along the edge in about 3 locations which im concerned about, i dont quite understand why this would happen im going to sharpen it today to remove it but does anyone know what would cause this? I dont leave it wet i always wipe my blade after use and make sure it throughly dry before putting it away.

I also have the discoloration on the blade but that i was expecting.

in a saya, i normally rinse it with hot water, clean completely dry it and i let it sit out to make sure its dry while i clean up and then wipe it down again and place it in the saya and then in my knife bag. If it helps im in fl and we have lots of humidity down here idk if thats could be the cause. but its only on the tip part of the edge no where else.

I just touched it up on the 6k and removed it all looks fine now but im not sure why that happened.

The last wipe down prolly left a smidge of moisture. The inside of the saya might be harboring some moisture as well.

It sounded like maybe you had it in a magnetic sheath thingy. Those things will rust a blade bad if given half a chance. I've got nothing more to add here. :D

It sounded like maybe you had it in a magnetic sheath thingy. Those things will rust a blade bad if given half a chance.

Sheaf thingies in general? Or Magnetic sheath thingies in particular? If the latter, I'm curious as to why that would be?

Sheaf thingies in general? Or Magnetic sheath thingies in particular? If the latter, I'm curious as to why that would be?

The flexible magnetic ones that flip open and have exposed magnets on the inside are the ones I'm talking about, I can't remember who makes them though, they're very popular nonetheless .

Oh, I thought you meant the ones like Blazen does. I was confused and very curious. Thought it might be some weird metallurgical thing.

Try some Flitz metal polish. It cleared up the water stain I had on a DT ITK Suji and made it look new again. Its a very gentle polish and will blend in with the surrounding metal fine.

those magnetic sayas also weight like 10 pounds each. they belong in the garbage imo

is it a good idea to oil a semi stainless like the kono HD?

Back