Discord Server?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any interest in starting a Discord server for kitchen knives? I haven't logged on in months and have lost a lot of interest in this hobby. Part of it is I don't like logging on when using my phone. I would go to my computer if I wanted to say something or had to interact, but I guess I'm a lurker at heart.

A couple of months ago I couldn't use the KKF site on my phone without being bombarded by full-page ads and other sketchy stuff. Yeah, I'm old and set in my ways-- I'm not going to log on with my phone.

I finally joined a Discord server and I like it. We can pretty much do what we do here with no ads and could possibly even have a BST section.

Not trying to cause an insurrection, just a thought. Also, apologies if this idea has been brought up or there's already some sort of Discord set up in the spirit of KKF.

I think it would have its uses, although the active members here tend to be quick to respond and carry conversations willingly. The sheer amount of information that passes through KKF might be impossible to follow in a chat room setting tho.

I often find myself looking back through threads and rereading long posts. The forum format seems as a sort of database.

Knifewear has a discord, but there’s only a handful of active members. Some very knowledgeable people but no guarantee they respond.

I often find myself looking back through threads and rereading long posts. The forum format seems as a sort of database.
I was just going the the “How much would you pay for Jiro” thread today for funsies.

TF threads can be entertaining as well.

No. Forums encourage thoughtful conversations. If you want Discord-style stuff, there's Reddit.

No. Forums encourage thoughtful conversations. If you want Discord-style stuff, there's Reddit.

uh I mean discord isnt going to be like the forum, but it's not going to be like reddit either. very different kind of thing.

the primary demographic of discord is probably 30 years younger than this forum, and I dont think the few folks that are left here want to adapt to a new tech.

I would argue that forums actually dont encourage thoughtful conversations, small interactions do. so zoom calls and things like that with a small number of people, or real life interactions. forums are good at organizing as a reference of information. discord is more organized around hanging out, shooting the ****, that kind of general stuff _around_ a topic. reddit is good at being full of morons.

in fact reddit is so good at being full of morons, they have a system whereby the regular morons promote the biggest morons to the top 👍

One of the things that I really appreciate with this kind of forum compared to Facebook groups and Discord servers is that information is stored in a way that is easy to find years later with a simple google search. It's a real treasure trove of good information.

Facebook posts are often impossible to find again after just a month and a Discord is more or less a chat behind a login wall.. not really the place where you find a seven year old discussion in my experience.

When the discussion in my country went to Facebook and a Discord server, I skipped that fishbowl and became active here on KKF again. On the other hand, I'm probably one of the old geezers you talk about. :)

One of the things that I really appreciate with this kind of forum compared to Facebook groups and Discord servers is that information is stored in a way that is easy to find years later with a simple google search. It's a real treasure trove of good information.

Facebook posts are often impossible to find again after just a month and a Discord is more or less a chat behind a login wall.. not really the place where you find a seven year old discussion in my experience.

When the discussion in my country went to Facebook and a Discord server, I skipped that fishbowl and became active here on KKF again. On the other hand, I'm probably one of the old geezers you talk about. :)

it would be easier to find stuff on discord if their search function got any real attention from their dev team.

it's clearly not a priority, it doesn't work well, it isn't optioned enough, etc.

KKF gets advanced search for free with the forum software & is indexed on google, allowing you to use that engine's power. discord could be closer, but right now you're right, there's no comparison

I'm on discord quite a bit for other purposes. KKF doesn't seem like the best match for discord, but I could see some people using it if they want more real time banter. The search function and accessibility from the wider internet is one of the great things about KKF. I also think it is what brings in a lot of the new members. You don't get that in discord.

I'm in Discord for other interests and it seems to work significantly better for a common interest that needs real time organization. I'd probably hop into the KKF server if it ever existed, but how I interact with the people and information here seems far better suited for the existing forum format than how freeform Discord is.

The r/chefknives discord server does have some interesting conversation, but it's largely ad-hoc and not intended for long term recording of information. Forums like this, the subreddit wiki, etc. do much better at that task.

If anything, I'd say Discord is useful for the social aspect first and technical discussion second. It does happen, it's just largely incidental since the most active users are already familiar with the findings and opinions of one another.

Back