DIY Audio or OCD to the next level

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s me!

I spent years there until JohnR decided to restrict me for standing up for HIS site. This was when Mike from Miverna was causing havoc and just about the same time JohnR kicked him off. Do you still spend time there? I do miss that place but I just can’t stand JohnR.

Greg,
I don‘t remember that drama, but I try to avoid drama (online at least.) These days I find What’s Best Forum most interesting, although I visit Audio Circle, Audio Karma, and Audio Aficianado pretty much daily. Audio Circle has largely devolved to a Danny Richey love fest. Audio Karma caters to the vintage hifi crowd, and AA is a bit of an ego trip for the dealer/founder. Oh, and Audio Shark can be good, but not a lot of traffic. I check in with the kiwis on Dark Lantern, but not a lot of content these days.
Evan

After a bit of a pause as I'm playing with bypass caps on the CPU today I installed an ultra low noise dual linear PSU for the internet router and my audio network switch, long on the to do list and finally got around to cross that off.

Wall warts are what they are named after, warts....

I am waiting for the delivery of the correct power plug for the internet router but the linear PSU gives a nice improvement in SQ with just the switch being taken care of.

Shortly I'll be visiting High End 2022 in Munich to hear some reference gear.
Looking forward to your show report!

Looking forward to your show report!

I stopped doing conference reports many years ago but I'll try make some notes even if to keep things organized.
Will try to do some video with the DSLR, note to self; find out how hat works.... :eek:

I stopped doing conference reports many years ago but I'll try make some notes even if to keep things organized.
Will try to do some video with the DSLR, note to self; find out how hat works.... :eek:
Pics and notes would be greatly appreciated. There are some fantastic components at the Munich show based on what I've seen. I've never made it to a show. Probably one reason I was so blown away with Emile's demo system at Taiko.

Pics and notes would be greatly appreciated. There are some fantastic components at the Munich show based on what I've seen. I've never made it to a show. Probably one reason I was so blown away with Emile's demo system at Taiko.

Will do my best but my 'I wanna hear' may get the better of me ;-)

The Taiko system is probably best auditioned where you did that, at a show the gear has not settled in (it somehow takes my server about 2 weeks to recover after travel). Aside of that, I do think it is in a league of its own!
I plan to have a chat with Emile as we may have a component he can put to good use (visiting the trade days).

Greg,
I don‘t remember that drama, but I try to avoid drama (online at least.) These days I find What’s Best Forum most interesting, although I visit Audio Circle, Audio Karma, and Audio Aficianado pretty much daily. Audio Circle has largely devolved to a Danny Richey love fest. Audio Karma caters to the vintage hifi crowd, and AA is a bit of an ego trip for the dealer/founder. Oh, and Audio Shark can be good, but not a lot of traffic. I check in with the kiwis on Dark Lantern, but not a lot of content these days.
Evan

Thanks for the information on other sites to check out. I still have a couple of friends that spend time on AC but I just can’t bring myself to hang out there anymore. I actually have Danny’s Super Vs although I had them built to look like the Super 7s. I always thought the Vs looked like penguins. Danny’s on YouTube now so apparently that took off for him. He definitely hasn’t changed with some of his “interesting”ideas but he does make good speakers.

Greg,
Evan
What do you think of Audiogon?

What do you think of Audiogon?

I know you’re not asking me but I spent many years there before getting involved in Audiocircle. I do still like it but it’s very commercial now after it was purchased several years ago by a corporate entity. It’s still okay for getting opinions about gear and some of the old timers are still around. I used to really enjoy it way back when it wasn’t so inundated with commercial interests.

I know you’re not asking me but I spent many years there before getting involved in Audiocircle. I do still like it but it’s very commercial now after it was purchased several years ago by a corporate entity. It’s still okay for getting opinions about gear and some of the old timers are still around. I used to really enjoy it way back when it wasn’t so inundated with commercial interests.
Thanks, I'll give audiocircle a try.

It’s changed a lot. I check the forum daily, but don’t spend much time there. Not sure why, but I prefer USAudioMart for used gear shopping.

I completely agree with this. Audio mart is the best place to buy used gear. IMO it’s also a great place to sell gear. And they don’t charge you to do it.

I also think in general the prices people ask for gear when selling is more realistic. It seems like some people selling on Agon ask way over market value for gear. Even though you can pay a fee and see what market value is on the same site.

I use Hifishark to stay up to speed with prices (history, skip Japanese prices they are ridiculous) keep in mind you see the ASK and it shows where an item pops up rather than tracking a gazillion of places.

I just installed the ultra OCXO in the Pink Faun I2S bridge, breaking in as we speak...only a few hundred hours to go before it's phase noise settles down to rididulously low (<-130db @ 10Hz)...sounds good already!

Last edited:
In true audiophile fashion..!
I do not know many folks who have the kit to measure at this level, but the manufacturer has it and their gear is pretty well regarded. Do you measure the grit size of a new stone you just bought?

For the most part measurements are meaningless once you’re at a certain level. Most new equipment measures way better than we as humans can possibly hear.

Having been blown away by the Taiko Audio Extreme server, I'm now a believer that bits ain't just bits--timing matters alot. I just checked out the Pink Faun. It is also built in The Netherlands, and the price is similar to the Taiko. I'm curious about the sonic comparison as well as long term viability of both companies. That's a lot of money to throw down on a smallish company that hopefully will be around for many years to come.

I just returned from High End Munich, and have listened to many a system amongst which some costing up to pretty much one million Euros (give or take some change)....the good news for my wallet is that there was nothing I really want.

Best sound of the show for me is a new Spanish brand presenting a Western Electric 12a horn based system by Admire Audio, with as second best sound Wolf von Langa's new Field coil (with an air motion tweeter and a passive radiator enclosure). Both systems started to really sing after being joined with the latest Tedeska cartridge and some stunning Vinyl (latest versions of the Tedeska cartridge, in copper and silver).
Runner up was the interestingly shaped horn (twisted cube shape) but the fact I do not remember the name means something.

I auditioned the Taiko, the PF 2.16ultra, an Innuos and some other digital bits and pieces....it's impossible to compare the front ends in a meaningful way since they were coupled to completely different setups (amps and speakers) in various rooms. If you are in doubt you'd need to visit a dealer carrying both or (even better) arrange a home demo using your own speakers (but give the gear at elast two weeks before passing judgement).

My conclusion about the Taiko was that I did not like the speakers but the capability is there, same with the Pink Faun.... These two servers are miles ahead in front of everything else digital currently out there, yet what I haven't heard in either was 'coloratura', something I blame on speakers used (if you want to know which just send me a PM).

Taiko showed new gear, a new version of their ATX module which I suspect will be used in the Extreme or a successor and were using XDMS....they showed a new passive cooler for the Xeon CPU, and two boards that I took for the router and perhaps a network card...to be revealed...

My take is that Taiko is ahead of the game developing great sounding stuff using a holistic approach from music player software, network gear and a server etc. Based on their sales numbers they should be around for the next decade and customer support is stellar. Pink Faun is a solid company too, yet I do not anticipate they are capable of the breadth of products Taiko is.

Another option is DIY. If you are able to DIY to some extent building a server that can keep up with these two is definitely possible and you'll save some $$, my conclusion after some listenting was that I do not have to sit and weep in the corner for my living room...BUT, total investment is also high, but at the same time less than a ready product. (PM if you want details)

Back