DIY Audio or OCD to the next level

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just swapped the previous fibreoptical network card for a newer one with even lower latency....a bit of a faff and I need to adress a heat issue (these things are made for icy server rooms with forced air cooling...but with an external fan (for now) temperature is stable after replacing the thermal paste.

Well worth the upgrade!

Picture shows card without the heatsink
20220601_105613.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts, but my old faithful telecaster have been in need of a refret for a long while.. I pulled the frets and will replace them with Dunlop 6105's. I'm going to make a bone nut too. It's my first DIY refret, so I hope it will turn out ok.
View attachment 182117
So Lars, how are the frets attached? Pressure fit or some type of adhesive?

So Lars, how are the frets attached? Pressure fit or some type of adhesive?
They just arrived today as well as the nut blank, so I haven't put them in yet.
I figure I will tap them in with a nylon hammer. Would like some glue in the slots too, but am not big on super glue. Regular wood glue would be my number one choice, but I will need to figure out a way to clamp them down overnight as it dries, so they don't pop out.

Do you plan on honing/polishing the frets? Suppose a stone for a knife will work beautifully, last time we bought a guitar the shop owner did that for us, I never knew it was an option until then.

Do you plan on honing/polishing the frets? Suppose a stone for a knife will work beautifully, last time we bought a guitar the shop owner did that for us, I never knew it was an option until then.
Yep, that's the plan. You first level the frets so they are the same height. After that you “crown” them by filing each side of the frets so the apex of each fret is centered and the guitar will play in tune all over the fretboard. Then you can go to town and polish the frets as much as you like and it does feel really nice on the fingers if you make an effort.

meanhwile, I managed to try enough times to find the right syntax in Linux command line to put the NIC adapter in ultra low latency mode...perseverance pays off!

20220602_202640.jpg

Audiophile?
No, Lars likes to give audiophiles a hard time. Even though I made an effort to show interest in his fret endeavor which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Lars uses a class D amplifier that sounds like an out of tune violin😬 when listening to music. But that’s okay because everyone should be able to listen to music anyway they like🙄.

Audiophile:" I have a 900 dollar kitchen knife"....
High end retailer:" come on in I have some wire to show you" ✌️
Wire is one thing I don’t buy into myself and I make my own knives. But thanks anyway😉.

No, Lars likes to give audiophiles a hard time. Even though I made an effort to show interest in his fret endeavor which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Lars uses a class D amplifier that sounds like an out of tune violin😬 when listening to music. But that’s okay because everyone should be able to listen to music anyway they like🙄.
Nice #shitpost, Greg. Very classy 🥱

eh, the class D amp I picked up for my wife's system easily stands up to my Bryston 4BST. It was nice to realize I did not need to be looking at 5 digits to get great amplification. The Bryston will probably be sold next year and replaced with another class D amp, and the extra $$$ will go towards new speakers.

let's save the discussion about class D for a separate thread for those who want, my take on class D is that is is not without reason that it was named class D and not class A... some class D amps sound decent, until you hear a decent amp...and then you know and it cannot be unheard. No you do not have to go to $$$ amps for that, a vintage Bocama that can be found for 200$ or so for example will easily outperform a fancy class D costing three times more.
I too find the hybrid insults-jokes a bit tiring at times and surely out of place, we're in a forum about pretty expensive knives that do not cut that much better than the good old Sabatiers or whatever it is most kitchens have.

Talk about that wire, show me....we made our own at some point....

Wait just a minute. That’s NOT ME who wrote that. How did you attach that to my name? Seriously, that’s definitely nothing I’ve ever said.

Navigating this blog doesn't seem to be my strongsuit... Not sure how that happened above?
Okay, fair enough. I didn’t see your post until after I wrote my comment above. I’m definitely not a wire guy but I do know what I hear and to this day I have not heard a class D amp that sounds right in the upper frequencies. What I have said is that they are extremely detailed, and that is a plus that they have. I own a very well made amplifier that uses the 1200as2 modules. It has fancy wire inside, fancy rca and speaker connectors but it just wears my ears out after a short listening session and I just can’t connect to the music while listening to it. We all hear differently so maybe some people don’t notice what I do but I do know I’m not the only one, since many people say the same thing.

let's save the discussion about class D for a separate thread for those who want, my take on class D is that is is not without reason that it was named class D and not class A... some class D amps sound decent, until you hear a decent amp...and then you know and it cannot be unheard. No you do not have to go to $$$ amps for that, a vintage Bocama that can be found for 200$ or so for example will easily outperform a fancy class D costing three times more.
I too find the hybrid insults-jokes a bit tiring at times and surely out of place, we're in a forum about pretty expensive knives that do not cut that much better than the good old Sabatiers or whatever it is most kitchens have.

Talk about that wire, show me....we made our own at some point....
I totally agree and I’m sorry for my part in the discussion. I did have to respond though since I was quoted as saying something I definitely didn’t say. I’m not even sure how that’s possible but I would appreciate it if the quote could be removed. This is the internet and I don’t want to be associated with someone else’s thoughts.

Please remove this post. Although my name is attached to it it’s definitely not me who wrote it.thanks

It’s all good Lars. Did I tell you that I grew up with two of my best friends who are named Sven and Lars? They are brothers and both of their parents moved here from Norway. I know this isn’t relative to this post, or this thread, kind of like your post. Anyway, your guitar looks very nice and I hope you’re happy with the results.

Over the last few weeks I coated the paper I used (300g) to make the prototype horn with some PVA concoction, and I am baffled (pun intended) by how much impact that has on speed of sound and punch.

The new fiberoptic network card is broken in and will not leave it's spot on the motherboard.

The last change was the addition of yet another exotic bypass cap on the 12V CPU rail, totally weird how much impact on sound things can make on that rail...

Are you making a horn speaker made out of coated paper? Sorry if I’m not understanding what you’re doing. From my experience the fastest speakers are made from paper and the bigger the driver the more important the weight of the paper is. My 12” servo subs are made out of paper which is fairly light compared to other woofers I’ve seen and heard. Are you discussing the drivers themselves or the horn material that the driver attaches to?

Back