DIY Audio or OCD to the next level

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

gregfisk

Reaction score
I too have been a fan of NOS and R2R topologies. My last 3 dacs have been this and my current Lampizator Atlantic Plus dac with the upgraded clocks is really something special IMO.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lampi does nice things! I think he goes back to the heydays of CD player modding and took what he learned there to create new things,
I'm growing more fond of the adagio by the minute, effortless dynamics without compression are NICE (especially at 105dB/W)!

gregfisk

Reaction score
Lampi does nice things! I think he goes back to the heydays of CD player modding and took what he learned there to create new things,
I'm growing more fond of the adagio by the minute, effortless dynamics without compression are NICE (especially at 105dB/W)!
That’s the beauty of horns and OB speakers in general. Everything is just there with you in the room and no box to hold it all back.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
the next few days will be our mini audio fest, planning to do a comparison with the original Bionor filter and midrange/tweeter horn , playing with a freaked out active (tube) filter and going crazy testing more bypass capacitors....O and perhas a beer, or two, three.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
since we got to eat too I did some shopping...perhaps we can electrocute it to medium rare?

IMG-20220802-WA0008.jpg

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely ridiculous hot, yet the amps keep putting out heat...
couple of tube amps and an active filter so we can test various mid range/tweeters :)
First day was pretty informative, started using a new tweeter and ended up with sonical bliss in the early hours of today.

Today the original Bionor filter and midrange will be compared with the Trionor setup.
20220803_171123.jpg
20220803_171141.jpg

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
the verdict so far is that the original Bionor filter and mid/high horn is best, the fullrange plus supertweeter approach comes close behind..

second thought, the tweeter plus fullrange speakers is best...

Last edited:

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we ran quite afew comparisons, in depth...using three amps and active and passive filtering.
A Decca Kelly ribbon, Stentorian, JBL 075, JBLxxx (forgot the nr), goto horn tweeter, Klangfilm KL302 with original filter.

final verdict is that the setup as is, with a different tweeter is best.

20220804_211350.jpg
20220804_164136.jpg
20220804_123414.jpg

Last edited:

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
after the dust created by the audio fest settled a bit I finally got around to decommission the Khozmo shunt volume regulator (using TX2575 naked z foil) and I'm baffled by the difference. The Adagio uses a clever system regulating the output volume by changing the reference voltage in the R2R ladder, I can vouch for the benefit!

Now I start wondering what difference using the Khozmo attanuator makes when it replaces the Alps motor pot the Adagio is using...using 'digital' volume control is worse than a standard potentiometer, as it affects bit depth/resolution.

Last edited: