DMT extra extra coarse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well I was finally able to get a D8xx and I was wondering about how long this would last? I know that the amount of usage depends on longevity. I normally sharpen twice a month (maybe once or so more depending on if someone from work asks me to put an edge on one of there) From what I gather it should last a good bit of time. Thanks again all.

Using it to flatten stones when sharpening twice a month, I would estimate about 618 years.:wink:

Haha. Nice. Although during those two or so times a month I might be sharpening up to 5 knives at a shot so taking that into consideration maybe about 309? :)
Using it to flatten stones when sharpening twice a month, I would estimate about 618 years.:wink:

Have you considered the Atoma?

They last me about a year. I sharpen knives 1-2 times a week. Note, Some of the stones I flatten are very hard and abrasive, it a J-nat kind of thing :)

I was in the market for XXC and went for Atoma instead. Have heardl good things about it.

M

So can any 1 who has used both the Atoma and the DMT XXC comment on the pros/cons/longevity of each?

Atoma vs DMT

Longevity - Close

Sticktion - Atoma

Speed for flattening - Atoma

Speed for sharpening - Unknown (never sharpened on Atoma)

Scratches - Atoma makes much smaller gouges

Cost - DMT

Replacement Cost - Flip a coin (Atoma does offer replacement pads)

Weight - Atoma is lighter

It's worth mentioning that, all else being equal, it is cheaper for those outside the US to buy the Atoma 140 from one of the Japan-based retailers like TFJ, BWJ or MMjp.

It's worth mentioning that, all else being equal, it is cheaper for those outside the US to buy the Atoma 140 from one of the Japan-based retailers like TFJ, BWJ or MMjp.

There's a man after my own heart!!!

I should mention though that I use my Atoma much less often since I started using these little Diaface files more and more - I just use them to smooth down any high spots on the sides and edges - it's faster and less wear on the stone, I think.

2010moonwhite70.jpg

I originally got them for cleaning stones and erasing the scratches from the #140 but found that they do a fair job of flattening too. And they last ages. They don't rust and the diamonds don't fall off either. I also have the #400 and the #1500 but I don't use them much, if at all. I would only buy the white #600 again.

Back