Do any Japanese makers produce coreless damascus blades?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these are pretty badass.
http://www.iiza.jp/products/1310/nakiri170.html

1310_nakiri.jpg

Zanmai
Saji
Ryujin
Kamo - to order
iiza - by Ryusen and from this year by Takamura
All above are in stock at Japanese Knife Company
I know you asked for Japanese makers but have a look at the Nesmuk Exclusive Series from Germany - with 400, 800 upto 10,000 layer Niobium Steel are TOTALLY AWESOME also in stock

Saji had a coreless blade i believe.

Zanmai
Saji
Ryujin
Kamo - to order
iiza - by Ryusen and from this year by Takamura
All above are in stock at Japanese Knife Company
I know you asked for Japanese makers but have a look at the Nesmuk Exclusive Series from Germany - with 400, 800 upto 10,000 layer Niobium Steel are TOTALLY AWESOME also in stock
Having handled a few Nesmuks, not impressed at all, especially for the price.

I am really surprised, I’ve been using a Janus for almost a year and it keeps an amazing edge for a long time and comes up beautifully on a 6000 grit stone.

I thought this might be a cool project. Convert 340g of Kato dammy paperweight (???) into a something useful like a couple of knives.
thumbnail-1.png
thumbnail.png

I know zero about metalworking, but I'd be watching this with interest.
Price went above what I thought I wanted to spend to make it happen. Plus I have no idea what steels were used to make the dammy blob so it's difficult to know what HT and quench would be optimal. Would have been a cool project though.

Specifically looking for info on this. Looks like it is made by 鬼才刀匠, but I can't find info on it in English. Wondering if it's worthwhile to consider ordering it especially the one that looks kind of like River Jump style.

I know this Hong Kong seller quite well, I've ordered few knives from him in the past and he does supply some very unique knives. These blades specifically are made by a Japanese damascus artist named Shouichi Hashimoto (橋本庄市); according to the seller, these damascus are a combination of white I & blue I steel; very special blades indeed but really depends on you whether it is worth ordering.

Oh and by the way, "鬼才刀匠" means "Talented Blacksmith" in Mandarin :LOL::LOL:

Specifically looking for info on this. Looks like it is made by 鬼才刀匠, but I can't find info on it in English. Wondering if it's worthwhile to consider ordering it especially the one that looks kind of like River Jump style.

This is Hashimoto Shoichi he is a legend in Japan for co-creating the Lance of Longinus along side Master Swordsmith Sadanao Mikami. He is an artist of Damascus and offers both core and core-less Damascus knives. HK has been heavy trying to push his knives, but they are super expensive because he is more known as an "artist" rather than a blade smith.

Here's his website. I actually have one of his knives (with core) if you need specs.

http://www.layer-i.com

This is Hashimoto Shoichi he is a legend in Japan for co-creating the Lance of Longinus along side Master Swordsmith Sadanao Mikami. He is an artist of Damascus and offers both core and core-less Damascus knives. HK has been heavy trying to push his knives, but they are super expensive because he is more known as an "artist" rather than a blade smith.

Here's his website. I actually have one of his knives (with core) if you need specs.

http://www.layer-i.com
Ummm does anyone else see genitals in the fourth pic?

Don't see them. But if anyone is interested in the coreless blue1/white1 gyuto's @the_homebutcher just got one of the ladder one's for $1050. No handle.
I can't find it. Have you got the link of the product?

You need to DM him he doesn't post those. I spoke to him today and he has it.
How do you find his knives? Him being an artist I am scared of performance being overlooked over design.

I have seen a Honyaki gyuto made by Hashimoto Shoichi, and he has a beatiful banding showing, it was a white#2.
Also I have seen the pictures of his gyutos with damascus cladding and damascus core (core being white2 and blue2). Honyaki and damascus both listed for 250.000JPY each.

How do you find his knives? Him being an artist I am scared of performance being overlooked over design.

HK (JP) is his main distributor depending on where you live he will most likely forward your request to Syuokon (China) or Home Butcher (USA). He produces only a few knives as most of his time he is assisting Master Mikami-san on projects.

As far as his work, his Damascus is stupid nice. But his craftsmanship could use work. For instance the first knife I tested of his had great cutting performance, but rough edges on the coil and spine (something a non-knife maker would know is important). The latest batch has been a lot better. Still haven't cut with it yet though.

Back