Do I want an 8k? If I do, which one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People in Europe might be interested.
Screenshot_20220416-091244_Chrome.jpg

Too much OT to actually sharpen anything but just picked up the SP12000 from Amazon. Should be fun.

you will probably be very happy with it. its at least 2-3-4x as fast as any jnat in existance and much, much, sharper too. and no one complains about the jnats.

Jnats are a zen thing that can't be realized with manufactured stones. Sure the manufactured ones work more better, are more predictable and are more readily available but you can't sit by the waterfall, in a state of inner bliss, while rubbing on a fake rock.

Would you got for these before a J-Nat? That's the new question that's been on my mind.

because they are consistent. you know what you get. and all of them are the same. and all of them are faster than jnats. even the 12k ones.

i have jnats too. that i use maybe 1x a year. because they are simply to slow. and its a gamble when you get them. a very expensive gamble.
with my synths there is jo gambling. almost at least. some of the high grit ones i think i was the first to actually test and review online. but most of them have been around for 10-15 years. and you know what you get here.

because they are consistent. you know what you get. and all of them are the same. and all of them are faster than jnats. even the 12k ones.

i have jnats too. that i use maybe 1x a year. because they are simply to slow. and its a gamble when you get them. a very expensive gamble.
with my synths there is jo gambling. almost at least. some of the high grit ones i think i was the first to actually test and review online. but most of them have been around for 10-15 years. and you know what you get here.

I'm at a stage in life where I'm less interested in romance and more interested in results. ;)

i have never been in the stage of life where i felt i was more interested in romance than results so for me its was performance 100% then when i had that down. i felt i could at least try jnats. i mean i could be missing out on something. but to be honest i dont think i was. they are simply not high enough performance. by far. ymmv though. who knows.

do i want to spend 5 minutes on a suita or 1 minute on a 6k? or a 12k? same **** either way in the end.

you know what. i started out with a 1k chosera and a UF spyderco.

then i expanded to a 2k glass
4k glass
8k/12 same time

but in retrospect i think i could get by with just the 3k glass. 500 glass. and any high grit 10-12k. preferably the 12k pro. and also a truly good razor stone for my razors like the gok 20k.

thats all you need really. and some people dont need a 12k. so they can get an 8k. or 6k as their high grit.

now i think i have 40 stones and have probably had 20 more. but whats fun and whats really needed thats 2 different things. i mean no one really needs more than a 1k. lets be honest. but hey what a ****** place it would be if we all had only 1k's.. dont you think? i think so at least.

dont hold back!!

you know what. i started out with a 1k chosera and a UF spyderco.

then i expanded to a 2k glass
4k glass
8k/12 same time

but in retrospect i think i could get by with just the 3k glass. 500 glass. and any high grit 10-12k. preferably the 12k pro. and also a truly good razor stone for my razors like the gok 20k.

thats all you need really. and some people dont need a 12k. so they can get an 8k. or 6k as their high grit.

now i think i have 40 stones and have probably had 20 more. but whats fun and whats really needed thats 2 different things. i mean no one really needs more than a 1k. lets be honest. but hey what a ****** place it would be if we all had only 1k's.. dont you think? i think so at least.

dont hold back!!

I remember hearing Shawn Houston (@Deadboxhero) comment on finding a three stone combo that works for you and it made a lot of sense. Everything else is just playing around, which I'm all up for but yeah, a good three stone set is all most folks really need.

I remember hearing Shawn Houston (@Deadboxhero) comment on finding a three stone combo that works for you and it made a lot of sense. Everything else is just playing around, which I'm all up for but yeah, a good three stone set is all most folks really need.

but in retrospect i think i could get by with just the 3k glass. 500 glass. and any high grit 10-12k.
I completely agree with this basic idea.

The selection of stones is always user-dependent and personal. But in fact a set of 2-4 stones is all you need realistically.

Tried the SP12k on three carbons, Misono Swedish, Masahiro VC (Takefu's V2 series) and Suien VC (Aogami #2), directly after NP800. Very happy to say this is no polisher! It eases the NP scratch pattern without leaving a glossy high polish with no bite I'm certainly not looking for. Very fast, precise, hard as you may expect from a Shapton. I didn't notice much feedback so far, but that may come with me getting used to it. At least no damped feeling as with a Chosera 5k where there is no feedback at all. I'm really surprised by its speed. It didn't take longer than an intermediate stone would, and although I wasn't particularly careful in deburring on the NP800, it was done in no time.

Tried the SP12k on three carbons, Misono Swedish, Masahiro VC (Takefu's V2 series) and Suien VC (Aogami #2), directly after NP800. Very happy to say this is no polisher! It eases the NP scratch pattern without leaving a glossy high polish with no bite I'm certainly not looking for. Very fast, precise, hard as you may expect from a Shapton. I didn't notice much feedback so far, but that may come with me getting used to it. At least no damped feeling as with a Chosera 5k where there is no feedback at all. I'm really surprised by its speed. It didn't take longer than an intermediate stone would, and although I wasn't particularly careful in deburring on the NP800, it was done in no time.
Sounds like a promising candidate for a hybrid edge. I'll have to try that soon.

Just to weigh in here I'm really happy with my Shapton Kuromaku series 8k. Single bevel, double bevel, stainless, carbon, everything. Not that expensive but doesn't seem to wear much either so probably gonna end up in my estate's junk box in the end :D

Next day. Using a NP2k in between, just for deburring. Had noticed the edges weren't that stable, and usually, after the NP800, quite some stuff comes off the edge. Where was it gone? So, same procedure, same knives, NP800, a few strokes on the NP2k, followed by SP12k. You won't hear me about the lack of feedback again. The stone is crazy hard, but lets me feel whether some burr is left. Some buttery feeling.
And I now noticed the auditory element. The blades start singing once the edge is all right.

Next day. Using a NP2k in between, just for deburring. Had noticed the edges weren't that stable, and usually, after the NP800, quite some stuff comes off the edge. Where was it gone? So, same procedure, same knives, NP800, a few strokes on the NP2k, followed by SP12k. You won't hear me about the lack of feedback again. The stone is crazy hard, but lets me feel whether some burr is left. Some buttery feeling.
And I now noticed the auditory element. The blades start singing once the edge is all right.

I'm curious if you're using it to actually refine or additional deburring only?

I'm curious if you're using it to actually refine or additional deburring only?
It must have been the deburring that had failed the first day. I can't see much refinement in the scratch pattern, and that wasn't my goal so far.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the big problem is people are over polishing the living hell out of their edges resulting in less bite and grab at the edge which makes it slide on pepper and tomato skin really easy.

What also happens when you use too many stones is your convexity starts to stack resulting in an edge that's a lot more rounded over.

The objective should be an edge that is very crisp and burr free that has enough polish for making clean cuts in the flesh with enough bite to grab on the skin of things.

Yeah I think the big problem is people are over polishing the living hell out of their edges resulting in less bite and grab at the edge which makes it slide on pepper and tomato skin really easy.

What also happens when you use too many stones is your convexity starts to stack resulting in an edge that's a lot more rounded over.

The objective should be an edge that is very crisp and burr free that has enough polish for making clean cuts in the flesh with enough bite to grab on the skin of things.

I'm playing with an 8k edge right now just to see what I think. It's a thin slicey knife in AS and so far it is performing very well. But, I was very conscious of limiting my time on the stone. Just a little more than touch-up style approach on each side. The very first thing I did was cut a tomato and was pleasantly surprised when it sliced right through.

But the same knife off my SG4k half slid off a tomato before. I chalk that up to time on the stone and the approach. No doubt I over-polished the edge on the 4k before.

The learning continues. :)

Gesshin 4K gives a edge on carbon gyuto's that's hard to beat as cutting ability goes. It's pretty aggressive for 4K stone.

So far just used SP 12K on single bevel knives.
I'll play with it some more on high hardness # gyuto's. Have SP 5K really like that & 2K for quick touch up stones.

none of the shaptons pros polish for jack ****. if you want polish get the superstones. the shaptons just cut. thats it. its gets finer and finer, but there is never any type of polishing going on. except maybe for the gray glass 6 and 8k.

but other than that, shaptons don't polish. its just pure performance. and i'm highly surprised all you ****ers just found out about these stones just now. can you show me the stone i need to crawl under and stay there? i am willing to take a week off. for the experience alone.

Back