do you "collect" things other than knives and stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if any of you "collect" certain things, what you collect and why. And how it looks and whats your favorite and so on :)

If there already is a thread about this you can move this post into that thread por favor.

---------------------

I dont actually know where "collecting" begins and ends? If you buy lots of "stuff A" and keep them just cause you want toand like to is that collecting?

If you buy lots of "stuff B" and actually use them all in some kind of way very often is that collecting or just buying and having many of a certain thing?? Who knows? Feels like a gray area here. Is there a certain number you have to have before its a collection? Is 2 a collection?

Humans are gatherer-hunters :)

Yeah well I dont know if I actually collect them but but I at least a have gathered quite large amount of perfumes/colognes/edTs. Whatever you might call them. Ok its not a very large amount but its more than 10.

------------------

Justification:

I guess it began a few years ago. When pretty much all my 4-5 or so scents ran out at the same time. I use quite a lot of them. Since my only form of transportation is by bicycle I like to do 3-4 sprays before heading out to work. I ride for about 30-45 minutes. I always shower just before I'm heading out and always as soon as I come home and always use new fresh clothes each day. So I dont smell like sweat no matter how i hard i try. Since it takes like 12-18h for this to occur. Or reusing clothes several days, like 2 in a row. Which I dont do either.

But still. You get warm and the scents boil off pretty fast. So I need good stuff. Stuff thats lasts (and not very many do to be honest). A few do though...

So I went to the local store and tested pretty much all they had and went home with 2 new ones. And then after a few weeks I felt I needed to have at least 5 different ones. Since there is 5 different days in a work-week right. :)

Then my job started sending me out of the country very often, and taxfree is nice! And the selection there is nice...
So what to do really?

I think my collection now as it stands is 50 different perfumes/EDT's. And I have doubles of a few. Why get doubles??
Well many of the ingredients in perfumes gets banned sooner or later by some health agency and then they have to destroy all existing stock and reformulate them to smell kinda similar with other lesser quality but "safe" ingredients. This happens all the time! The recepies are printed on the boxes and on the bottles. it looks like a cryptic code. its the code for the recepie.

And they always smell "worse" and last a lot shorter when this reformulation happens. So do yourself a favor. Dont go out buying a new replacement perfume when you finished your 10-15 year old favorite one, you will most likely be very disappointed by its "performance". Its not the same stuff anymore. Since its illegal now if it was even close to good back in the day.

-------------------

Well maybe I should list my top 3 ones and maybe my bottom 3 ones. I have made some impulse buys over the years. They smelled good in the store but I quickly got bored and/or quickly got disgusted with them. It happens..

My top 3 ones, best of all the ones I've tested (for me that is, ymmv) and I have probably tested 90% of whats out there commercially.

Yves Saint Laurent - La nuit de l 'homme (edP)

combo, i always use these in combo
Guerlain - L'instant (edP)with:
Yves Saint Laurent - la nuit de l'homme (edT) (older chemistry=62k101)

Christian Dior - Homme (edT) (the edP version is good too but it might be severely overpowering for unsuspecting civilians (and i mean it), its very very potent)

--------------

and my biggest disappointments.
Givenchy - Xeryus Rouge (liked it in the store, now it smells like dishwashing soap to me, can't wear it ever again)
Chanel - Bleu (edP) - smells really good but its too weak and short lasting. The edT is better supposedly. Its just disappointing performance for a perfume not an edT.
Christian Dior - Fahrenheit (edP) smells like leather and weird stuff. Can't really use it, I think people would be offended by it. Smelled good in the store, but not now somehow. I almost feel disgusted by it. It smells nothing similar to the edT or the older ones from 10 years ago. I had the edT when i was young and it was awesome, this one not so much. Avoid like the plague!

perf1.JPG
perf2.JPG

I collect seeds. I am an avid backyard gardener, but I'm telling you I have enough seeds to restart civilisation after thermonuclear devastation.

Do you freeze them or keep them warm?

Some frozen, some not. I have short-term stock and long-term stock. Easy to get stock and hard to get stock. I have several thousand seeds from my favorite chili variety Manzano Rojo (C. Pubescens).

Right now, I have over 100 pepper seedlings and 6 large propagator trays full of various herbs. Plus I just planted spinach and bok choy outside in 6 elevated beds yesterday. And I'm just gettin' warmed up!

Going to buy some more seeds later on today :)

I "collect" games, as much as people "collect" music or other "consumable" digital goods.

... however, I have a lot more then I can really ever play. In fact, haven't played that 95% of them ... just keep buying them, often because they are good games, I just don't have time for them ... hence, I think, this falls into the realm of collecting.

Even Steam says I'm a "game collector", that counts, right? :p

Edit: Justification is that I'm in the industry, so by buying good stuff I promote and encourage my own industry to make more good stuff. This works to an extent, but it probably is further than that now.

sG9IRU0.png

Edit 2, I guess in a more "physical" since I also collect waifu(s) (are you surprised?)
Justification: because I'm a recovering weeaboo .. though joking aside, it's a reminder of things I've enjoyed, not necessarily related to original shows (though Anime is definitely an influence).

Highly recommend https://otakumode.com/ for all your weeaboo needs.

WidXCcr.jpg

Also, in a more "normal" range of things, I collect masks from various cultures.
Justification: because they look cool, because it reminds me of places I've been, or want to go more. I often can't bring a mask from a place, so there are a bunch of standard coins, rocks, shot glasses etc as well.
kGxJVTi.jpg

Last edited:
Coins started 20 yrs. ago. Large silvers 1600's-1800's. Thalers, 8 Reales, Colonial large dollars 1795-1803. Large half dollars 1795-1836

If you’re into scents, I recommend luckyscent. They carry a lot of great niche perfumes/colognes.

Yes I like to collect bordering on hoard! One of my hobbies is gemcutting. Good rough Stones are rare so I’ve collected quite a number over the years, way more than I can cut.

I also have lots of stereo components. That’s more of not letting go of older stuff.

I did, however, finally empty out my storage unit!

Tools. Everything from floor standing wood and metal working shop tools and their related mechanics hand tools & bits/blades/cutting tools through specialty precision tooling, bullet moulds, reloading dies and presses.

What people call "weapons" are just a couple of sub classes of power and hand tools as far as I'm concerned, I collect those too.

Chemicals related to energetic materials (propellants, explosives, pyrotechnics) and related tooling, lab equipment and test instruments.

Licenses, permits, insurances and authorizations. Needed to legally posess and use a number of the other things I collect...

Tools. Everything from floor standing wood and metal working shop tools and their related mechanics hand tools & bits/blades/cutting tools through specialty precision tooling, bullet moulds, reloading dies and presses.

What people call "weapons" are just a couple of sub classes of power and hand tools as far as I'm concerned, I collect those too.

Chemicals related to energetic materials (propellants, explosives, pyrotechnics) and related tooling, lab equipment and test instruments.

Licenses, permits, insurances and authorizations. Needed to legally posess and use a number of the other things I collect...
Care to share some of your more advanced projects?

Care to share some of your more advanced projects?

Here are some videos.

A large display choreographed to music we did August of 2017 in Fargo ND.

A special effects shot we did for a video. Our part starts around 4:50 in.

(No dogs were harmed in the making of this video. A Chevy did get killed, but I refuse to appologize for my art!)

I suppose you could say I collect musical instruments, I've learned how to play six so far

I also collect antique pocket watches :))

I also collect records (LP's) and high end folding knives. Also used to collect valve amplifiers.

Skateboards. Longboards to be specific. I bought my first about 14 years ago, and they’ve been multiplying a little more quickly since around 2010.

Although I’m too time poor, and getting too old, to actually get out and go for a cruise on one, I still get great pleasure from reading, researching, and buying the odd board, set of wheels, trucks, etc, every so often.

I’m probably trying to reclaim my youth, or something equally lame. Anyway, I just think they’re freaking cool :cool:

Here are some videos.

A large display choreographed to music we did August of 2017 in Fargo ND.

A special effects shot we did for a video. Our part starts around 4:50 in.

(No dogs were harmed in the making of this video. A Chevy did get killed, but I refuse to appologize for my art!)

Awesome ! That was nice.

Just wanted to know if any of you "collect" certain things, what you collect and why. And how it looks and whats your favorite and so on :)

If there already is a thread about this you can move this post into that thread por favor.

---------------------

I dont actually know where "collecting" begins and ends? If you buy lots of "stuff A" and keep them just cause you want toand like to is that collecting?

If you buy lots of "stuff B" and actually use them all in some kind of way very often is that collecting or just buying and having many of a certain thing?? Who knows? Feels like a gray area here. Is there a certain number you have to have before its a collection? Is 2 a collection?

Humans are gatherer-hunters :)

Yeah well I dont know if I actually collect them but but I at least a have gathered quite large amount of perfumes/colognes/edTs. Whatever you might call them. Ok its not a very large amount but its more than 10.

------------------

Justification:

I guess it began a few years ago. When pretty much all my 4-5 or so scents ran out at the same time. I use quite a lot of them. Since my only form of transportation is by bicycle I like to do 3-4 sprays before heading out to work. I ride for about 30-45 minutes. I always shower just before I'm heading out and always as soon as I come home and always use new fresh clothes each day. So I dont smell like sweat no matter how i hard i try. Since it takes like 12-18h for this to occur. Or reusing clothes several days, like 2 in a row. Which I dont do either.

But still. You get warm and the scents boil off pretty fast. So I need good stuff. Stuff thats lasts (and not very many do to be honest). A few do though...

So I went to the local store and tested pretty much all they had and went home with 2 new ones. And then after a few weeks I felt I needed to have at least 5 different ones. Since there is 5 different days in a work-week right. :)

Then my job started sending me out of the country very often, and taxfree is nice! And the selection there is nice...
So what to do really?

I think my collection now as it stands is 50 different perfumes/EDT's. And I have doubles of a few. Why get doubles??
Well many of the ingredients in perfumes gets banned sooner or later by some health agency and then they have to destroy all existing stock and reformulate them to smell kinda similar with other lesser quality but "safe" ingredients. This happens all the time! The recepies are printed on the boxes and on the bottles. it looks like a cryptic code. its the code for the recepie.

And they always smell "worse" and last a lot shorter when this reformulation happens. So do yourself a favor. Dont go out buying a new replacement perfume when you finished your 10-15 year old favorite one, you will most likely be very disappointed by its "performance". Its not the same stuff anymore. Since its illegal now if it was even close to good back in the day.

-------------------

Well maybe I should list my top 3 ones and maybe my bottom 3 ones. I have made some impulse buys over the years. They smelled good in the store but I quickly got bored and/or quickly got disgusted with them. It happens..

My top 3 ones, best of all the ones I've tested (for me that is, ymmv) and I have probably tested 90% of whats out there commercially.

Yves Saint Laurent - La nuit de l 'homme (edP)

combo, i always use these in combo
Guerlain - L'instant (edP)with:
Yves Saint Laurent - la nuit de l'homme (edT) (older chemistry=62k101)

Christian Dior - Homme (edT) (the edP version is good too but it might be severely overpowering for unsuspecting civilians (and i mean it), its very very potent)

--------------

and my biggest disappointments.
Givenchy - Xeryus Rouge (liked it in the store, now it smells like dishwashing soap to me, can't wear it ever again)
Chanel - Bleu (edP) - smells really good but its too weak and short lasting. The edT is better supposedly. Its just disappointing performance for a perfume not an edT.
Christian Dior - Fahrenheit (edP) smells like leather and weird stuff. Can't really use it, I think people would be offended by it. Smelled good in the store, but not now somehow. I almost feel disgusted by it. It smells nothing similar to the edT or the older ones from 10 years ago. I had the edT when i was young and it was awesome, this one not so much. Avoid like the plague!

View attachment 51263 View attachment 51264
Geeze and I only have one bottle of Stetson Sierra for Men that I bought so many years ago.I hope I can find more.Takoda goes crazy over that stuff when I wear it.Takoda is my horse.;)

I’m in line with Keith. Coins. I trend towards half dollar commems and peace dollars. Tailed off the last year or two. Just haven’t had the interest.

Ex Girlfriends. And I seem to be pretty good at it. Or bad at it. Either way I'm sure it's them and not me. :)

Does cologne degrade? My personal favorites are Creed green Tweed and le labo bergamote 22

Back