do you "collect" things other than knives and stones?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by inferno, Apr 6, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 19, 2019 #61
    I am going to abuse my mod powers and dare to say that I do not collect ... anything ... not even knives.

On a second thought I have about 40 wood blocks for handle making and eome 25 kg of steel for blades, so maybe my first statement is not quite correct ...

2. Apr 23, 2019 #62

K813zra

K813zra

K813zra

I am not sure I collect anything in the purest sense. Though I keep ending up with more and more chickens roaming the yard...

3. Apr 23, 2019 #63

Barashka

Barashka

Barashka

If only knives had a habit of multiplying like chickens ...

4. Apr 24, 2019 #64

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

Supporting Member

But if you're not spaying and neutering them are you actually collecting?

5. Apr 24, 2019 #65

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    Capons... Tasty, tasty capons...

6. Apr 24, 2019 #66

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

SeattleBen

Supporting Member

One of the places I worked at had a stage quit when they were given a box of birds to clean. We showed them one and said go ahead get gutting and plucking and that was the end of that. Though to be fair if I was given that box and told go I'm not sure how far I'd get.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. Apr 24, 2019 #67

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    I learned how to be a chicken plucker the hard way, at an advanced age (one of my roosters murdered his rival right in front of me, couldn't let him go to waste). Poor Dino, he had excellent taste but chewed like he was made out of vulcanised rubber.

Chickens are not that bad- Ducks are awful to pluck, and a 60 lb. live weight turkey will give you repetitive stress injuries.

8. Apr 24, 2019 #68

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

9. Apr 24, 2019 #69

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Having eviscerated countless thousands of birds, I can safely say that a spinning plucker is the best way to go for large quantities. However, an appropriate scalding temp/length helps a lot, whether its one bird or three hundred. I've found a rubberized, grippy and/or textured glove can be quite useful for hand-plucking, especially for large ones like turkeys.

But to the point of the thread, I don't collect anything else. Never was much of a collector until I found this hobby. Sometimes wish I never had.

10. Apr 25, 2019 #70

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

11. Apr 25, 2019 #71

playero

playero

playero

Supporting Member

Autos down to 7 and moving on, roosters down to 60 and moving, watches down to 26, soda bottles down to 10, cameras down to 5, cigar boxes down to 6, wine don’t count have other things but don’t want to remember

12. Apr 26, 2019 #72

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

bills & debt, non stop and the volume just increases by the minute

13. Apr 26, 2019 #73

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

I guess I could be considered a book collector, although not in the rare or valuable category. I just have a lot of books, and then acquired twice as many when I met my S.O. who is also a reader. I finally... finally, have a house with an actual library as a separate room. Floor to ceiling book cases, fireplace, comfy chair. A few thousand books. It's going to be tough to down-size when we sell this house but it's been fun while it lasted.

At one point I had way too many musical instruments, mostly guitars. I sold off all the electric guitars a few years ago, down to just two acoustics and some other instruments. Music is my other main hobby now besides cooking.

14. Apr 26, 2019 #74

refcast

refcast

refcast

That used to be me until I donated the books by the dozens of boxfulls. They were mostly really interesting thrift store and used library books. Really good used book places where I was around.

15. Apr 27, 2019 #75

K813zra

K813zra

K813zra

They are not reproducing as I collect and sell/eat the eggs. I buy more of them every season, which is how I end up with more. We eat the roosters btw and only keep hens. I mean we did a hatch once but hatching our own isn't worth the trouble of keeping around a rooster.

16. May 8, 2019 #76

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

I collect so much stuff I am now considered a hoarder.

17. May 8, 2019 #77

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

If I buy books 30% faster than I can read them, and end up having several hundred books that won't fit in my bookcase, is that considered collecting books? I buy them to read, not just to have them. Oh yeah, and I also have a collection of whisky. I used to collect beer, and had over 200 different bottles, but I stopped buying and started drinking, so now I'm down to less than 25.

It just dawned on me today that I inadvertently have collected outwear and footwear. I have more than 20 coats and jackets, and around the same amount of shoes and boots. Just ordered another jacket yesterday, a Japanese horsehide leather one from Iron Heart. I just can't control myself.

[​IMG]

18. May 8, 2019 #78

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

I like it.

19. May 8, 2019 #79

A cute angle

A cute angle

A cute angle

Human powered hand crank anything old butter churns queen stone apple peelers hand crank whetstone hand pumps hand crank washing machine tractors also lol

20. May 8, 2019 #80

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Who are you, Cormac McCarthy?

21. May 8, 2019 #81

Lars

Lars

Lars

Founding Member

Yes

22. May 8, 2019 #82

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

I'm pretty sure that if I bought a horsehide jacket, my girls would skin me alive and use my hide as a horse rug

23. May 9, 2019 #83

lumo

lumo

lumo

Bicycles...road bike, gravel grinder, single speed, city bike won't fret too much if she's stolen, beach cruiser, cape cod canal fishing bike, mixte/ loaner bike, rain bike...steel is real!

Fishing gear...van staal, stella, CTS, Century, ODM, Black Hole, Afterhours, Super Strike, BM, Habbs, endless home made flies, pencils and plugs, fresh water, saltwater surf rods...striped bass, bluefish and tuna gear with a little trout and smallie stuff.

Talk about needing to thin the herd!

24. May 10, 2019 #84

inferno

inferno

inferno

steel is real lumo. you have understood this correctly.

Last year i built up a pretty bad ass colnago master. new production. red metallic/chrome, frame/fork. all black parts. no budget parts.

I also have 2 lynskey ti framed bikes. they ride good too but the nago is so smooth. the lunskeys are close though. I prefer tubes that have anorexia though. for looks.

I'm gonna build new lighter wheels for the colnago (28/32 F/R, and thats about as far as i'm willing to go pretty much w/ dt comps 2,0-1,8-2,0, brass nipples). just recieved rims and tires from crc for it. waitin on 240 hubs and a few other things like a 54t ratchet. gonna clock in at 1700 or maybe 1650 or so. its still 2-300g lighter than my cheap shimano ones. and stronger, and better, and more bling.

strong/light/cheap pick 2. so they say.

i say cool/good/bling. pick 2.

25. May 10, 2019 #85

A cute angle

A cute angle

A cute angle

I had one and the tyre went flat

26. May 10, 2019 #86

A cute angle

A cute angle

A cute angle

hand crank for the missus

27. May 10, 2019 #87

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

Hey, I have a Lynskey! Love that thing, I have the sportive. I also have a Bike Friday I can fold up and take on a train so I guess I collect bikes.

Really though, I like all kinds of cooking stuff but it has to be used. My latest additions are four different mortar and pestle sets. One Italian, one Thai, one Mexican and one African(last two were gifts). Thinking of getting a Japanese one too.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  28. May 10, 2019 #88

inferno

inferno

inferno

I love lynskeys. they used to be called litespeed in the 90ies. last year i got a helix tubed pro cross frame. with 6al4v tubes. the best **** they make there. built it up as a "rough road" commuter with handbuilt wheels (by me) and no sh1t parts. and then gave it to my father. i set it up with a 25mm up front and 28 out back. conti gp4k. it was so badass i could not believe it when accelerating. like a fukn rocket ship. i mean it went from lax speed to max speed in one rev on the crank. like no other bike i have ever ridden.

there is a hill on my way to work. and it usually takes me about 100m to max out my chainring from when it strarts to go downhill. but with this frame it took like 20 meters. then i spun out. go figure. i'm running 1x.
    Now i kinda regret i gave that bike to dad. but done is done. and now i have a steel colnago master instead. with Ernestos autograph on it. as a sticker (no real autograph). I think the colnago is slightly more comfy but tyhe pro cross was better accelerating. with the wheels it had on it.

I'm building a 32spoke rear soon for the nago and we'll see is its gonna match the pro cross. I think it will, and surpass it too. all these BS low spoke machine wheels. fuik that sh1t.

29. May 10, 2019 #89

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

I love when I'm riding the bike friday, which is a long distance folding touring bike with 20" 36 spoke wheels (the watanabe of wheel sets, if you will), I'll see these guys who lap prospect park in $14,000 carbon bikes with crazy 16 spoke Zipp wheel sets, I get to yell "hey, lose some weight on that thing, get a front wheel like mine!". Don't actually make a whole lot of new friends doing that though...

30. May 10, 2019 #90

inferno

inferno

inferno

I know goddamn well some of you guys are looking at me now and are and saying: that guy inferno is a fukn bike-aholic. and this is not true. not at all. its just silly.
    exhibit no1 is that is simply gave away one of my latest and best bikes to my dad. and it was good too. it was good enough for me. i built it for me. you see.
    completely harmless hobby. and innocent. and PC. very PC.