Do you have beater knife/s ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my favourite ready for anything knife is my Hinoura Hyakuren. A middleweight in ironclad white2. The wide bevels are ground flat (actually slightly concave). Reasonanly tough, easy to sharpen (or just strop) and the cladding is not too reactive. Doesn't do anything brilliantly but does most things well and always seems ready to do anything.

I think my favourite ready for anything knife is my Hinoura Hyakuren. A middleweight in ironclad white2. The wide bevels are ground flat (actually slightly concave). Reasonanly tough, easy to sharpen (or just strop) and the cladding is not too reactive. Doesn't do anything brilliantly but does most things well and always seems ready to do anything.
I want a ajikataya pretty bad.

Cuts great, and I often reach for it over the fancier ones. If it had a thinner tip, I’d probably reach for it even more, but then again, part of the reason it’s so great is that you never have to worry about ****ing up the tip.

Key for effective beater or line knife, IMHO...
alot of "most used" knives are for exactly this reason ;)

My 'beaters' are just knives i wont hesitate to use excessively and dont really think about taking care of at all when in use and dont mind taking to the stones and working on.

1. Togashi Blue 1 Honyaki, Custom ordered waited 18 months to get. Received with among the worst thickest grind ive ever owned. Spent 15 hours thinning and "making it mine" now its my ultimate beater and its a fantastic knife and i love it.
2. I also really love a Mizuno Blue 1 shinogi i bought off the bst in rough shape ... broken tip & chipped heel ... best performing knife i own for the fine cutting days.
3. Sukenari YXR - impressively tough steel, love the way it flies through product.
4. Shiro kamo R2 - Stainless and just a monster on the board.
5. Musashi Kogetsu monosteel white 1

Chicago Cutlery 5.5 paring ... I split a 1/2 inch wood board with it once. Usually, though, I use it to separate frozen fish etc. It has served me surprisingly well for all it's been through.

(this is probably not the reply most people are looking for :p )

My 210mm Glestain Indented Gyutou or wifes cleaver

Last edited:
6 year old 8" global. 2013, the best year for globals (/sarcasm)

8" Henckles Pro S. Was my first decent knife, bought it on an Amazon sale for under 50 bucks. I use that thing for everything from hard foods to busting cans, and somehow it still cuts.

Have an old (25 years) Zwilling/Wüsthof/Dreizack (you name it) generic German chef’s knife. I will keep it forever as it was gifted to me by my mother as my first kitchen knife. I use it for the nasty jobs...

Lobsters by the hundreds
How do you cut a lobster with a knife ? My knife slipe on it.
BTW my beater are second hand chiped knives that I sharpen often. Once the chip is wear of I give them to freinds.

Those old Forschners will not die, a little TLC once a year or so is all they need. These are circa 1970 ish.

_II564mkRoD_KTfyWh3Z7g3Z0TShwtFA6XmWEMSqEhGu70ldjGrps4VgOuD97H1BIF3pd7NKH1Xjl6BgXLwpnAmOqMeP4SxcCCXUdwDFn6EBSrEyxfOLf-9wR21Ck5_29VJOjA8_0e4q81Rv1E0VTiiK1ey9JhnpWBra-8RBfN8q39mOj6jf6pqUpymimQMTq9moSKrEOUBeS6ipHvMRrwNj7u4xh0TILOeRf-MFeMjPZTgmNtrDGw7e88bb5cwuSq0iWzbdJTbQwxJe75JfVnJlopAObVB-DlRazRFPqYLkjd0rFBDFvuMcOZ6q_o1w4c5LC69ozMnDeTEZPhbonPHBQVmY_S72UTyZc5okFTpWDvOoEY5wYw63hqbrPuf2JUoWliWTQWm7vH4KQ_CbZAobn3xFuBJ91smlud8yVBMRvCbph4wmX1ki018kEDfOZ0pa19ixilA7iIQj2cqi0J-MBbL7508KzmPPJhLwGkJYai8Sm2cxp4dO7lnDciGw2gCWzRrEgabE6hdIZWdvP0aeIWkfikuehH8iVMiDm4XPyfccqry7E5NJGtHagoQTdlU_9ZLtJkYOGJ9_wH8Nm4wJFPs2MJEWugTxu_uojrnTLJsrKrSVE4wVADcbs7PiT88XBFjg-yoz2xzKR-wRlZUoTZK54Js=w1024-h683-no

I think my 9 inch K-sab might be stealing the 'beater' title from my FKH. I had one years ago and don't remember liking it this much. Sure is soft though!

Shi ba zi Chinese cleaver for when I need to cut chicken bones, cartilage and frozen meat. The weight makes it incredibly easy to use in those scenarios

A whole block of old vintage 1990's Henckel 4 Stars sit in my kitchen for everyone to use. My knives are just for me. So yes we have some beaters.

Mac Professional chef 240 is my beater. My first good knife since about 22 years ago and still going strong. Actually bought six Mac knives then and still have two in regular use. Other one is the 120 pro petty.

Not sure what happened to the 4 others though?

Agree with Jeff you need beaters & Ferrari in the work force. Even as a home cook now need my beaters. Petty Tosagata White, Gyuto Blue Moon BL. #2, Cleaver CCK Kau Kong Chopper. Just cut up a frozen slab of wild caught salmon with the KK chopper & a mallet. Don't want it to be thawed at all when I put the serving sizes in the freezer.

I have Opinel Carbone No. 9 and No. 12 knives in my block. The smaller one is for the odd cutting task, such as opening parcels, cutting the plastic wrapping of things, slicing up cardboard, and similar jobs. The larger one I use for cutting things that I really don't want to use a high-grade knife for, such as cutting tough jerky or biltong.

I don't mind using these knives for rough jobs because they are really cheap and, if I do damage an edge, they are super-easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
Back