Do you like kidneys?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
I need an offal pep talk. How do you like to cook and eat kidneys?

You need to soak them in brine or milk for a couple of hours which pulls out some of the impurities, toxins, and remaining blood. Then drain them out of the liquid trim off any green-looking parts aka the bile very bitter you do not want to eat that. After that you pat dry and saute with some butter until rare not overdone will taste the very concentrated iron flavor and overcooked.

Chef Wang Gang on Youtube has some good tips on pork kidney prep. I recommend giving it a look.

I love kidneys. In Germany, a popular dish used to be Kalbsnierenbraten (veal kidney roast). Basically a rolled veal roast with veal kidneys running through the centre. It's quite an old-school dish that was not that popular for many years. But offal is coming back into vogue in Europe. It's all part of the "recycle, re-use, and don't waste anything" trend.
0715-a1ff3d87.jpg 58177-kalbsnierenbratn.jpg
I haven't cooked one in ages—need to work on that problem :)

On the topic of offal, a highly-praised book seems to be Nose to Tail, by Fergus Henderson. Has anyone here used it?

Last edited:
On the topic of offal, a highly-praised book seems to be Nose to Tail, by Fergus Henderson. Has anyone here used it?

I just bought it recently and like it a lot. It's not just about offal though, there are lots of other recipes as well. I'm thinking about making his recipe for deviled lamb kidneys tonight.

When preparing to depart a Jamaican airport in 2002, I stopped for breakfast in the airport cafeteria before boarding. While every traveler was getting sad looking pre-packaged cold-cut sandwiches, I was watching the airport staff for what they were eating, because it looked and smelled delicious. It was beef kidneys in a red sauce, served with cornbread. Absolutely fantastic, and an unexpected treat on my way out of a beautiful country.

stir fried with green onion and ginger. the dish cost $20, but my wife and BIL love it. me, i cant get past the snappy texture/.

Back