Do you steam food often?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I do not. But I should. It’s been summer HOT here all week. Turning on a stove in the house is not going to happen. I elected to use my MIL’s greatest gift To us - the Tatung. It’s a steamer. It stops itself when the water is boiled away. I put it in the garage and steamed cauliflower and a Chinese comfort dish loosely translated to “meat cookie”. Pork and preserved radish pickles. So good over rice.

im going to improve my steam game.

anyone steaming those delicate Japanese eggs? In Cantonese-Chinese we call it “Sui Daan “. Water Eggs. It’s not as delicate as the Japanese version. Any tips?

what else?

thanks cooks and Chefs.

My wife loves steamed potatoes. It is on a separate level for her than the typical steamed broccoli, cauliflower, corn, string beans, etc. I frankly struggle with it, as the potatoes cry our for things like olive oil or butter, salt, etc.

I steam a lot! And I really like it. 💃🏿😁Veggies and fish mostly. It would be cool to make the repertoire bigger though.

I steam occasionally, asparagus for example, dumplings,...

I am not sure though that steaming is "better" in hot weather than using an oven or any other form of heat...

Singaporean canto here,so steaming is super common in my family.

"Meat cookies" with salted fish, especially "mui heong" ones. Chicken with dates,shiitake and lupcheong. Steamed tofu then topped with a meat sauce. Fresh grouper or seabass and finished with soy sauce,or even teochew style with tomatoes,pickled greens,sourplum and ginger. Glutinous rice. Siew mai and other dimsums as well.

Can't comment on the heat. Its 24/7 summer here haha

Back