Do your part for the post-coronavirus world economy.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoteRotie

Reaction score
So prior to the Coronavirus outbreak, much of the world economy (and certainly here in the US) has been driven by the consumer.

In order to reduce the severity of the economic downturn post-virus, I believe it's going to be important for consumer spending to come back.

Therefore, I believe those of us who can have a *duty* to buy a new knife once the vendors are open for business again.

At least that's the argument I'm going to try out on my wife ;)

I'm thinking a stainless clad 150mm shirogami (or aogami) petty might be nice. Can't have too many Gyutos either. What's your coronavirus (economic) defense knife?

Ahhhhh .... the 9 ... one of the few posts o

Well you are not the only one then. I decide to message him straight after few misses and got my name on the list...so fingers Cross.. Sure you live long enough, just keep cooking those delicious meals :)

So prior to the Coronavirus outbreak, much of the world economy (and certainly here in the US) has been driven by the consumer.

In order to reduce the severity of the economic downturn post-virus, I believe it's going to be important for consumer spending to come back.

Therefore, I believe those of us who can have a *duty* to buy a new knife once the vendors are open for business again.

At least that's the argument I'm going to try out on my wife ;)

I'm thinking a stainless clad 150mm shirogami (or aogami) petty might be nice. Can't have too many Gyutos either. What's your coronavirus (economic) defense knife?

actually most of "the economy" is not infact driven by the economy, its driven by top level finance like goldman sachs and the BIS and other sh1thole institutions. they have been creating bubble after bubble for the last 100 years.
with borrowed money, leveraged 10 or 100x, fantasy money, thats the sh1ts thats crashing. this is not the economy for you and me. that economy goes nowhere. because its the real economy. and we all still need to wipe our asses right :)

regarding smaller 0-10 employees companies. imo if you can't afford keeping the company closed for a month or 2 with all expenses rolling then you have mismanaged your company.
maybe extracted too much in salary or bought sports car or whatever when you instead should have kept that money in the companys bankaccount.

its like your personal economy. can you survive without a salary for 2 months?? no? then maybe something is wrong here. i survived on savings for 6 months in 2009. living in one of the most expensive countries in the entire world. i think its time for people to stop living way above their income. its about time.

actually most of "the economy" is not infact driven by the economy, its driven by top level finance like goldman sachs and the BIS and other sh1thole institutions. they have been creating bubble after bubble for the last 100 years.
with borrowed money, leveraged 10 or 100x, fantasy money, thats the sh1ts thats crashing. this is not the economy for you and me. that economy goes nowhere. because its the real economy. and we all still need to wipe our asses right :)

regarding smaller 0-10 employees companies. imo if you can't afford keeping the company closed for a month or 2 with all expenses rolling then you have mismanaged your company.
maybe extracted too much in salary or bought sports car or whatever when you instead should have kept that money in the companys bankaccount.

its like your personal economy. can you survive without a salary for 2 months?? no? then maybe something is wrong here. i survived on savings for 6 months in 2009. living in one of the most expensive countries in the entire world. i think its time for people to stop living way above their income. its about time.
there is a lot of truth in this. people will be looking differently at the service sector for a long time if not forever. people will be looking at thier spending hard. Im well positioned in this because i have a severe debt aversion and im conservative by nature. conservative in the proper ways, not the political ones.

I didn't mean to suggest you have to wait, if your favorite retailer is open for business. I think JKI is closed even for internet orders, but correct me if I'm wrong. Even if the small retailers can ride through the crisis I'm sure it's going to be painful for them and many people, and if you can help out local businesses and favorite retailers I'm sure it will be appreciated.

No need to donate money to Goldman Sachs or Blackrock :)

You do realize that accumulating 2 months worth of all business expenses likely requires banking over 2 years' worth of profit, don't you? In the US, with a 35% Fed income tax plus State and local gov't taxes, there is a good chance it would take 3 years.

wow only 35% taxes. have you been in scandinavia recently? total tax pressure here is about 75-80%

i see many restaurant owners and similar small biz owners here riding around in benzes, new 500s, amgs, and up, m3s, m5s, 7 series, and porsches other luxury cars. and now they cant pay the rent? i wonder why the **** that is? anyone willing to take a guess here?

my father told me one thing when i was 15 or so: dont buy **** you can't afford!
my brother told me this when i was 20: inferno you have take control over your ****ing life. you have to have a buffer of money for at least 2 month no matter what.

and to be honest this is just common sense. now isn't it. the very most common, most basic to boot.

wow only 35% taxes. have you been in scandinavia recently? total tax pressure here is about 75-80%

i see many restaurant owners and similar small biz owners here riding around in benzes, new 500s, amgs, and up, m3s, m5s, 7 series, and porsches other luxury cars. and now they cant pay the rent? i wonder why the **** that is? anyone willing to take a guess here?
35% is the Federal. Then there are State taxes and local gov't taxes. So figure 45% minimum. So do the match on how long a company needs to save up 2 months of operating costs if they have an 8% profit rate, please. And bear in mind 8% is a lot more than restaurants and retail places typically pull in.

35% is the Federal. Then there are State taxes and local gov't taxes. So figure 45% minimum. So do the match on how long a company needs to save up 2 months of operating costs if they have an 8% profit rate, please. And bear in mind 8% is a lot more than restaurants and retail places typically pull in.

if i would operate on a 8% margin i would seek out some other line of business to operate in. it doesn't make sense at all. financially.

m1k3 but total taxation pressure is more than just tax to gdp.

for instance i pay about 33% in tax on my income, where 25% or so goes local and the rest state.
but my employer also pays about half of that before i even see my money.

so lets say i see 3k euro a month or so. before taxes. then my employer had to pay about 1-1,5k in taxes, and i pay 1k.

then if i buy something here its 25% on everything except newspapers i think then its 6%. and some necessities have "point taxes" that they tax extra hard. like gas/diesel, then its like 50% otr more i wouldn't know since i dont have a car. alcohol is high % especially in norway. tobacco, i think its 505 here too at least. and then there is all kinds of weird taxes on almost everything. so in the end it ends up to 70-80% or so.

and its not like we are getting this back from the society. like its supposed to be. all the taxes are supposed to go to society to pay for "everything" it just aint so i'm afraid. we are supposed to pay to ourselves in the end. but no.
all the money seems to disappear along the way.

Back