Does cutting paper towel dull knives? - How about tissue?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably OT, still:

I'm noticing a trend lately...it may be that I seem to pick hobbies/interests where the forums are almost exclusively frequented by males worrying over details in an OCD like manner, or it could be that males tend to develop OCD traits over details nobody ever dreamt of before....or both, or I am secretly suffering from OCD and have not discovered it yet...with three hits the latter is more likely, yikes

Knives, check
Espresso, check
Audio, check
I asked more out of curiosity rather than sheer "can I control this, can I fix this". It's interesting that paper has abrasives that can dull knives, no one ever thought to ask paper towels. But most everyone took it as a joke? It's hard for me to imagine this question being more ocd than the time and effort that goes into putting a polish on a honyaki with finger stones.

I asked more out of curiosity rather than sheer "can I control this, can I fix this". It's interesting that paper has abrasives that can dull knives, no one ever thought to ask paper towels. But most everyone took it as a joke? It's hard for me to imagine this question being more ocd than the time and effort that goes into putting a polish on a honyaki with finger stones.

I get what you are saying, my observation was not directed to you personally but much more in general stepping back and observing what sort of questions appear to be occupying the mind.
If anything I'm as much affected as anyone here by OCD-ish traits given my collection of hobbies with OCD tendencies!

This might get me banned, but here goes...

I recorded this movie not that long ago. Apparently Global G2 is the ultimate knife. Can cut paper for days. On the other hand, I've been having a hard time finding a paper shredder that can julienne carrots. Any recommendations are appreciated!

I think the point is that dulling from paper towels isn’t going to be significant enough for anyone to ever be worried about, so it seems ridiculous to stress about it. Polishing a honyaki is a huge pain, but then afterwards you have a gorgeously polished honyaki.

That said, by obsessing about stuff like this and starting this thread you have established your credentials as a tried and true KKF member!

probably OT, still:

I'm noticing a trend lately...it may be that I seem to pick hobbies/interests where the forums are almost exclusively frequented by males worrying over details in an OCD like manner, or it could be that males tend to develop OCD traits over details nobody ever dreamt of before....or both, or I am secretly suffering from OCD and have not discovered it yet...with three hits the latter is more likely, yikes

Knives, check
Espresso, check
Audio, check
This is completely on topic. The average KKF user is 99% male, 70% white, 25% Asian, and 100% full of it. I wish it were more diverse, but I think that blend can be a turn off to others starting out.

If it's watches, cameras or audio, I think it's worse.

No one is mean. We’re all kind to each other here.
648919F1-0D1D-46A2-A61A-99486F97EF2B.jpeg

I wonder if there’s an individual realizing the mean.
My mother was Japanese - native born and raised. My father was of European descent. I'm male, 100% full of it, so I must be close to the mean.

Reactions: ian
Back