Recipe Requested Dried chiles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riba

Reaction score
Somehow I ended up with a dried chiles delivery.

Having no experience with using dried chiles (not an overly common ingredient over here) , do you have any pointers/recipes to get me started?

I received:
Dried chile Guajillo - 100 Gram
Chipotle - dried and smoked- 100 Gr
Dried chile Ancho - 100gr
Dried chile Cascabel - 100 Gr

You can re-hydrate the chillies and cut them up into slices or strips as usual. Or put them into a spice grinder and turn them into chilli powder. I find that, especially for curries, dried chillies work just about as well as fresh ones; they tend to retain their flavour fairly well, despite the drying.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/salsa-de-muchos-chiles-recipe-1970449use drained canned tomatoes and let it age in the fridge for a few days, the flavor gets better. You can add cilantro to whatever size batch you're using for a meal rather than adding it straight away. tomatoes and garlic char nicely in a broiler. You can add another chipotle in for a morita and omit arbol or add any other hot dried chili. You can make a larger version of this since it does hold so well. Goes great will lots of things - roast chicken, beans and rice, etc.

Ancho and guajillo you can make an adobo for maybe a lamb barbacoa or a pork shoulder.

I beg to differ, I go through loads if drid chilli as plenty chinese recipes call for dried chilli, you can also use them to flavor oil/fat at low heat prior to frying. Or get a good Mexican cookbook, only drawback is that you'll likely find you need many more different dried chillies.

Those are used to make red Chile sauce usually used to stew beef chunks in

Thanks a heap for the pointers! Looks like I have to order a bigger batch :D
Guess I'm gonna start with the salsa, Chile Colorado and chili con carne.
Appreciate the inspiration!

Definitely looks like a good blend for Chili con carne or carne adovada, birria, mole if you can’t get chilhuacle, etc.
Never understood chili con carne. Being from Texas chili only has carne, no beans and no tomatoes etc. Look for the recipe for a bowl of red, that’s what real original chili is all about.

We use Chipotle pepper in ketchup for oven roasted potatoes. We large dice potatoes with olive oil and chili powder and bake them in the oven 425 for around 15 minutes. Then use the Chipotle ketchup for dipping. I guess you would call it a light dusting of chili powder on the potatoes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back