Dry Age at Home

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by orangehero, Mar 17, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 25, 2019 #31

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Some people stick a battery-operated (small) fan into the fridge. I'm not sure how well that will work; the low temperature isn't great for batteries. It might be OK if the batteries are replaceable; you can charge one set while another one operates the fan, but I'd be prepared for daily battery changes.

As an alternative, get a small computer fan and put that inside the fridge; these things are very cheap and draw little current, so you can run really thin wires through the door seal without creating too much of a temperature leak. (Feeding the wires in from the top seal is probably best.) Any run-of-the-mill power brick at the right voltage can be used to power the fan.

2. Mar 25, 2019 #32

Bill13

Bill13

Bill13

Supporting Member

Yes the fan will help and is not a bad idea regardless of temp outside of the fridge, but it will not help remove the humidity/moisture building up within the fridge, for that you need the compressor to run. You need the warmer moist air to be blown across the chilled coils where the moisture drops out.: https://refrigeranthq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CR-BG-Central-Air-Browser-Illo-1024x656.jpg

Same way that when you run the dehumidifier for you windshield in your car the AC compressor has to run, dropping your MPG.

3. Mar 25, 2019 #33

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Agree, that make sense.

4. Apr 25, 2019 #34

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

So, this is how it emerged from the fridge after 36 days:
    IMG_2773.jpg
    There was a 28% weight reduction, which is what you'd more or less expect after that amount of time.

No mould or bacterial growth, and no off smell. Just a clean beef smell, without any gamey notes. The outside surface was hard and dry, like hard leather, without any sliminess. Here it is after slicing:
    IMG_2775.JPG
    Here is the final result, with salad with a balsamic vinegar reduction, sprouts, garlic confit, and roast potato:
    IMG_2785.jpg
    Taste was really nice. Typical dry-aged beef: concentrated beef flavour, very tender, and only the faintest hint of gamey taste. No funky or off flavours.

I don't know whether I will die yet, because I ate it only half an hour ago. I guess I'll find out soon. If you don't hear from me again, assume that the experiment went wrong.

Carl Kotte and ACHiPo like this.
  5. Apr 25, 2019 #35

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

Looks absolutely perfect! I need to google the garlic confit. Looks interesting.
    Ken

6. Apr 25, 2019 #36

That’s roughly the same result I’ve had in the past. Same color, and taste profile. One friend in particular didn’t care for the taste, but he’s not a fan of dry aged at all.

These bags work, and they’re much simpler than a dedicated fridge.

7. Apr 29, 2019 #37

podzap

podzap

podzap

8. Apr 29, 2019 #38

orangehero

orangehero

orangehero

It seems the umai bags can only accomplish dehydration of the meat, but not development of the funk of traditionally processed dry aged beef.

9. Apr 29, 2019 #39

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Yes, that is probably right. There will be a little bit of “funk” because the meat isn’t sterile when it goes into the bag, but not as much as you often see with tradional dry ageing.

10. Apr 30, 2019 #40

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

I think maybe it’s because the aging isn’t long enough. “Funk” usually develops quite rapidly after day 50.

Thanks for doing this experiment man. Think I’ll invest in a dry aging bag myself and try it out ;)

11. Apr 30, 2019 #41

mikaelsan

mikaelsan

mikaelsan

thats nice man, i've been trying some offbrand german bags, done two pieces of meat so far, only lost about 0.5% hydration pr day :( still came out as a good improvement though.

12. May 1, 2019 #42

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

How much trimming did you do after slicing the steaks?

13. May 1, 2019 #43

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

About 2–3 mm, I'd say. Just enough to remove the hard and dry surface.

14. May 1, 2019 #44

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

That is an acceptable loss. Sounds good.

Can you do anything with those dry boys or do you just toss them to the dogs?

15. May 2, 2019 #45

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

I was wondering that, too. Last time, I threw the scraps away.

I did some searches, and there are people who say that he scraps aren't worth keeping. Others claim that they are dangerous and you should never eat them. Yet others say that they often leave the crust on; apparently, it softens during cooking and gives a stronger "dry cure" taste.

Some people use the cut-offs to make stock, but there are reports that it doesn't work so well. No bones and a lot of fat doesn't make for good stock. There are also suggestions for grinding up the cutoffs and mixing them with normal minced beef for hamburgers. That one could actually work well, I think.

Next time, I'll try a steak with the crust on to see how it turns out. I'm pretty sure that, at least when aged in the bag, the crust isn't going to do any harm. It's just that I might decide that I don't like it.

16. Jun 6, 2019 #46

ChefCosta

ChefCosta

ChefCosta

Supporting Member

My setup is a Small fridge with a Humidistat connected to a humidifier and a Dehumidifier. I also have 2 USB fans, a germicidal UV lamp a data logging thermohygrometer. I run at 36F and 60% humidity and have had excellent results so far. To get all of those cables through the gasket on the fridge I cut a slit in the gasket rubber between where it connects to door and the magnet that seals to the door frame. I slid a cut off neoprenne beer coozy into the slit to act as a conduit and sealed the outside to the gasket with silicone. I feed all the wires through the inside of the neoprene conduit and the neoprene compresses around them forming a pretty tight seal.

17. Jun 9, 2019 #47

Bill13

Bill13

Bill13

Supporting Member

I would love to see a photo of your setup.

18. Jun 9, 2019 #48

ChefCosta

ChefCosta

ChefCosta

Supporting Member

Just sent a few photos your way!

19. Jun 10, 2019 #49

orangehero

orangehero

orangehero

Why wouldn't you share them here with everyone?

M1k3 likes this.
  20. Jun 10, 2019 #50

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Yes. The rest of us are to be kept in the dark? ;)

21. Jun 20, 2019 #51

loopback

loopback

loopback

Attached Files:

CEH1 likes this.
  22. Jun 20, 2019 #52

orangehero

orangehero

orangehero

If you are handy with electronics it's possible to make one at a fraction of the price. That is what I am in the process of doing, all in less than $100 with full humidity and temp control.

megapuff5 and M1k3 like this.
  23. Jun 20, 2019 #53

gstriftos

gstriftos

gstriftos

I think a lot people here, including me, would appreciate to see what you are making!

M1k3 likes this.
  24. Jun 21, 2019 #54

Chips

Chips

Chips

Here's a simple 45 day dry-aged prime grade ribeye from a roast from Costco. After aging, I trim and vac-seal them and save for later sous-vide prep, which I did with this steak actually two days ago, and was just reheating for serving. Originally cooked at 132 for 90 minutes. This one was re-heated at the same temp for about 15 minutes.

e2hPhL8MRLyV2u0IZyPJTw.jpg

fNy30k4TSziK0EHSz0gBVA.jpg

Pan sauce is built on previously made demi glaće. I usually pan sear the steak in a mixture of melted butter and cheap olive oil, a few cloves of garlic and fresh thyme. Take the garlic out before even adding the steak, trying to prevent burning/bitterness. The steak browns nicely in the flavorful fat, aided by the carefully patting dry before laying it in the pan, forms a beautiful brown crust quickly.

bE3RV+smQdWLdD%wJWhmzQ.jpg

My mistakes show, I should have turned the garlic about 45 seconds earlier and pulled it before getting to this level of brownness. It was a tad bitter. Together with the mushrooms, they rejoined the pan sauce right at the end to tighten up the sauce.

1xpPb5KMQ3+4ICzkSIEqwQ.jpg

louwtLFbTGGT3sPJOWuzuw.jpg

The fond incorporated with a whisk. Hasn't yet developed a beautiful color. That comes with the addition of the demi and/or stock.

I4jTp16CTXqmrILaC8Ajgw.jpg

I probably wouldn't bother with a pan sauce like this without homemade demi glaće. I get broken pan sauces occasionally, but I don't mind if the flavor's on point.

fullsizeoutput_260e.jpeg

The twiggy parts of the thyme get removed, the garlic is already out, mushrooms in, sautéed until they give up their moisture and condense their flavor intensity. Then they join the pan seared garlic and set aside. I remove the majority of the fat from the pan, deglaze with some chicken broth, a splash of dry sherry and whisk to incorporate the fond. Towards the end, a splash of half & half or heavy cream goes in as well as a knob of my frozen demi glaće whisked to incorporate and taste, season with S&P and rounded out at the last second with sherry vinegar to balance the rich fattiness of the sauce. I didn't have any fresh parsley which would have boosted the color but oh-well.

fullsizeoutput_2610.jpeg

Attached Files:

orangehero likes this.
  25. Jun 22, 2019 #55

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

Hey, no pics of a slice????? :(

26. Jun 22, 2019 #56

Chips

Chips

Chips

I thought about it while engulfing the whole thing... Lol.

Evenly pink throughout. I used to do most of my steaks at 128-129, but I find I prefer the way the fat and connective tissue becomes softer at slightly higher temps, without having to cook them for hours on end.

M1k3 likes this.
  27. Jul 8, 2019 #57

Keat

Keat

Keat

I've used the UMAi bags before, and agree it is pretty easy. Also, you can wrap the bags in a panty hose to ensure the bag is always in contact with the meat.

Prime ribeyes from Costco are my favorite, maybe 30-45 days.

I'll try to find photos to share.

28. Jul 8, 2019 #58

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

Hey guys.
    If u want to skip the dryage bags.
    You Can always use butter.

Get it up to around 28c and sink ur
    Element Down in the butter.
    Coat it like u would do with a wax candle.

29. Jul 8, 2019 #59

Keat

Keat

Keat

The butter coating method is intriguing. Do you have as much "bark" that needs to be trimmed with that method or does the butter help with that?

30. Jul 8, 2019 #60

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

Thorndahl88

The butter helps with that, so there is less bark with the end result or close to nothing.