Dumb work injuries

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
second that, but mainly for bigger and open wounds (after skin removal) and only if you leave them on long enough!
Other than that, superglue rocks!

doing 'something' with a knife other than cutting is a sure winner for me too...yet as a home cook and ergular desk jockey paper cuts are my biggest professional risk.

superglue isn’t bad, but surgical glue lasts longer especially on a flexing hand when you keep working. Tip: dermabond is by prescription but you can order the veterinary stuff off Amazon, just as good. Everyone looks at me weird for knowing it, having it, and using it until the first time they try it!

superglue isn’t bad, but surgical glue lasts longer especially on a flexing hand when you keep working. Tip: dermabond is by prescription but you can order the veterinary stuff off Amazon, just as good. Everyone looks at me weird for knowing it, having it, and using it until the first time they try it!

What brand have you tried? A few months ago I thought about buying some but I was paralyzed by the number of choices and package types.

Tip: dermabond is by prescription but you can order the veterinary stuff off Amazon, just as good. Everyone looks at me weird for knowing it, having it, and using it until the first time they try it!
orrrrrr…. You work in an OR, and it’s just around. 👀

Freshly made today. Wags cutting scallions and my HD kissed my knuckle and tore the skin apart. I placed it back tough. :)

What ended up happening??

I did the same thing on my index finger tonight.... I flew too close to the sun... I was fast-cutting really thin slices of onion. When I got to the thick part of the onion I started feeling unsafe - I had to lift the knife too high to have good stability against my knuckles. But I was distracted and rushed - I thought I should just finish the job.

I almost completely shaved off a 10x10mm flap of skin. It is held on by a very small amount of skin in one corner... I doubt it is vascularised. A lot of blood. I was in two minds... pull it off completely? Or put the flap back in place? I chose the latter and kept compression with a bandaid...

@demirtasem; I am curious... Did yours fall off? I dont have high hopes for mine.

What ended up happening??

I did the same thing on my index finger tonight.... I flew too close to the sun... I was fast-cutting really thin slices of onion. When I got to the thick part of the onion I started feeling unsafe - I had to lift the knife too high to have good stability against my knuckles. But I was distracted and rushed - I thought I should just finish the job.

I almost completely shaved off a 10x10mm flap of skin. It is held on by a very small amount of skin in one corner... I doubt it is vascularised. A lot of blood. I was in two minds... pull it off completely? Or put the flap back in place? I chose the latter and kept compression with a bandaid...

@demirtasem; I am curious... Did yours fall off? I dont have high hopes for mine.

I’m sorry, hope it heals soon.✋️ Mine actually didn’t fall off. But I didn’t use my left hand maybe 4-5 days. I even attached a popsicle stick to not move my finger. 😂 Eventually skin fell off while the new one was growing under.

Attachments

• 063448D6-8CC8-4ED8-B325-71A9289459FA.jpeg
    063448D6-8CC8-4ED8-B325-71A9289459FA.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 0EA0407C-1502-4FCC-8C26-277077664A9B.jpeg
    0EA0407C-1502-4FCC-8C26-277077664A9B.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 20
I’m sorry, hope it heals soon.✋️ Mine actually didn’t fall off. But I didn’t use my left hand maybe 4-5 days. I even attached a popsicle stick to not move my finger. 😂 Eventually skin fell off while the new one was growing under.

Hehe! Thanks! :)

Extra cautious with the splint there! Not a bad idea. If you rupture a tendon, you need to let it heal before putting tension on it. If a tendon in a finger breaks, it can snap up into your forearm. The surgery to fix that would be pretty nasty!

I copped it on the distal joint of my index finger. It doesn't look too bad after several hours and a clean up:

DSC01734.jpg

I think this incident will play out like yours! Not much tissue is supplying the flap. A small section of upper right corner (in the picture) was not completely severed. The skin looked thin at that point, it could just be epidermis - so I doubt it will get circulation. The gore is likely to keep it attached while the skin beneath heals. I suspect it will eventually fall off with the scab... Actually... That's a lie... I'll probably get impatient and pick at it...

When the box grater got me, it cut a U-shaped groove. The flap was well attached and vascularised on one side. It was able to heal. If I am lucky, the same will happen...fingers crossed... but not the left hand ;)

image.jpg

I was separating two frozen sausage patties. They were laid flat, and I was wedging a Mercer petty between them. My hand was flat on top. OR SO I THOUGHT. Suddenly, I have the tip in my palm. That was 13hrs ago. Headed to the ED now. My wife (Borat voice) says it’s infected. It’s bruised, and doesn’t hurt where maybe it should. Oops.

My wife (Borat voice) says it’s infected.

😂 funny reference.

Infected? It could be... thankfully the sausage patties were still frozen! That probably made the saga a little less bacteria prone. Hopefully they patch you up and get you out the door quickly!

Ouch!!! 😧

Keflex and two(?) stitches! Looks painful! I hope it heals quick!

Edit: For what it is worth.... I DO NOT recommend hydrocolloid dressings (for you). Given the enthusiasm for them a few posts ago, I thought I would try them. I think they have their place... perhaps small or really clean cuts. For large or 'fragile' wounds they can cause more damage than good. They are designed to be applied and left in place for several days. They adhere to the skin. If you are taking a long time to heal or producing a lot of fluid, removing the hydrocolloid dressing can reopen the wound. For my boo boo above, I found frequently replacing regular dressings to be a more gentle solution.

Last edited:
Yep. Just two. I work in an operating room suite, so I can just grab someone to remove them in 5-7 days. They just asked me to keep it dry for 24hrs, so no work for me in nine hours.

IMG_20220501_221307.jpg

Not from work, but pretty dumb. Little 3 month old wouldn't stop crying and my wife gets cranky hearing her cry, so I slipped her into a front carrier and kept prepping for a meal that I was cooking for a COVID+ friend. Kept crying and flailing around, carrot slipped, and the knife went straight for my finger.

Another instance, around 4 years ago. Was still fresh in culinary school when I landed a work trial with a decent fine dining restaurant. During the trial, they asked me to portion a 15kg block of butter. Tried to cut down while pushing the spine of my knife, palm slipped, and the tip sliced right through the lower palm. I didn't want to let the chef know that injured myself, so I grabbed some paper towel, throw on a pair of gloves, and kept pushing on for the rest of the dinner service. I didn't get the job lol.

Not from work, but pretty dumb. Little 3 month old wouldn't stop crying and my wife gets cranky hearing her cry, so I slipped her into a front carrier and kept prepping for a meal that I was cooking for a COVID+ friend. Kept crying and flailing around, carrot slipped, and the knife went straight for my finger.

Another instance, around 4 years ago. Was still fresh in culinary school when I landed a work trial with a decent fine dining restaurant. During the trial, they asked me to portion a 15kg block of butter. Tried to cut down while pushing the spine of my knife, palm slipped, and the tip sliced right through the lower palm. I didn't want to let the chef know that injured myself, so I grabbed some paper towel, throw on a pair of gloves, and kept pushing on for the rest of the dinner service. I didn't get the job lol.

Ah man, I can relate . My left index finger has PTSD.

Back