Dust in the shop

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Matus, Apr 8, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 8, 2019 #1
    My workshop is just about 2x3 m large and two of its 4 walls are just a deviders that do not seal it from the neighboring cellars.

Since I upgraded to a 2x72” the dust would be literally everywhere after just one hour of grinding. The tipping point was reached when one neighbor complained about ‘my dust’ in his cellar and I finally decided to do something about it.

The following video shows the steps I took to improve on this and it seems to work.

I would be curious to hear how you guys deal with dust in your workshops.

2. Apr 9, 2019 #2

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

NO ChoP!

Old Head

I have an Oasis wall mounted dust collector and fittings on each piece of equipment that I move the hose to, as needed. Works OK.

I also run an Oasis air cleaner while I am in the shop. Also, works OK. Filters get pricey.

After every shop day I spray everything down with my air compressor, and sweep. (Which creates a huge dust storm)

I run a high power box fan with a furnace filter bungeed to it overnight. This works like a charm, and the filters are much less expensive.

On my next visit to the shop I wipe all surfaces with glass cleaner and rags to collect settled dust.

I also have my entire shop tarped. I have a hole cut in with a fan for fresh air.

3. Apr 9, 2019 #3

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

Great! My temp grinding room I just built it in with plastic, and have a suction fan out through a window for the worst, but it's a mess like any other :)

There's no risk your top suction takes some sparks if grinding heavily? Maybe check that, because if you have wood dust collected and sparks gets blown into that, you'll have a stubborn fire quickly.

4. Apr 9, 2019 #4

mikaelsan

mikaelsan

mikaelsan

Brilliant, sorry for highjack but thought it would be funny: from Pro setup to absolut amature setup. Small grinder surrounded by a cardboard box to catch the worst of the dust hehe. Talking about wood start and metal sparks. It almost caught fire when going from handle to blade grinding, luckily I pulled it out of the wall and shed, put some water in it and cleaned it for dust :) learning " the hard way" IMG_20190409_102319.jpeg

5. Apr 9, 2019 #5
    That is something I will test first - the under pressure from this kind of extractor is rather low. But I will turn of lights and test. Should sparks tend to find their way in, than I may introduce some additional mechanical barrier or make a separate position for the suction somewhere from the side when grinding steel and just cover the top of the grinder with a plate. I can not really afford to start a fire - that would be VERY bad. So this is something I keep in mind.

6. Apr 9, 2019 #6
    Mika, I have managed to put a vacuum cleaner on fire with a 250W 1x30" when I was still using one while grinding a blade. From then on I used the vacuum cleaner only when grinding handles (wood). Wearing a respirator meant that I noticed the foul smell later. That is something to keep in mind too.

7. Apr 10, 2019 #7

milkbaby

milkbaby

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus Supporting Member

Always good to have a fire extinguisher... It's a bit crazy the number of knifemakers who have burnt their shops down.

8. Apr 10, 2019 #8
    I do have a 2kg one and consider getting a 6kg one - and also to arrange stuff in the neighboring unit (which is also ours) where the large extractor stands - so that if anything happens, than I can actually access it FAST. I just realized that putting some heat resistant material around the dustbin (which is just a plastic sack) could go a long way to contain eventual fire.

9. Apr 10, 2019 #9

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Tim Rowland

Supporting Member

In my shop I closed off my metal grinding area with thick plastic sheeting and have a 2hp dust collector and dust deputy hooked up to each machine. I don't run the dust collector while grinding steel, I just run that into a bucket with water and then hook the hose back up when shaping wood.
    Below it the room studded out before putting up the plastic sheeting.
    I will take an updated photo later with the steel sheet behind the grinder and plastic sheeting enclosing the room.
    I have been eyeing the new metal dust collection system from Grizzly so I can have a "healthier" grinding experience . shop3.jpg

10. May 1, 2019 #10

merlijny2k

merlijny2k

merlijny2k

So interesting to see all your setups. You don't smell the fire with a respirator indeed. I saw smoke from the machine when I changed belts. Switching wood to steel and not cleaned the piled up wooddust. Guess that's most often the culprit.