Ealy, CLEAVER!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermes7792

Reaction score
200x90mm, O1 steel, with a full tang
Stubby black wood and buckeye burl handle, mosaic pin
Pretty heavy, about twice a cck1303, doesn't really bother me though.
This was his first cleaver, I'm very happy with it. Del is my favorite custom maker.:thumbsup:
:happymug::happymug::happymug:

Whoops gatta figure this image thing out.

Cool cleaver! :doublethumbsup:

DSC00561.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

Whoa Del be still my heart that is some cool hardware! That's a great piece. If that's number one I can't wait to see number ten!!!

I mean this in a good way: it looks cute :) Absolutely love the pattern in the handle. How's the geometry on this baby?

one only has to wander if he will ever make a 2nd one (most ppl do not)

If I start hunting again, I'll make one of these for myself.
As for making more, I would be happy to, it wasn't as bad as I thought, although It would take some serious enticement for me to make a damascus one ;)
Del

Two things:
1) this cleaver seems to have an angle in the plunge line (?) to the edge. It isn't straight down from the ferrule and 'machi' to the edge. There is an angle from the beginning of the tang at the top of the spine to the cutting edge. This seems wise. From someone who used a cleaver a lot thd last year or so I would say that this is a definite advantage.
2) why is O1 hard to forge a cleaver from? Enlighten us please.

All in all awesome work Del!

G-rat,
For those that have seen my previous work know I have an antipathy for straight lines in the choil area, I like a little curve there. Why so many makers feel the need to have a tight radias and then a straight line down to the edge puzzles me. So that is just part of my style.
Its not just O-1, its cleavers in general, I have to say that this was one massive piece of steel to work with. The handle wasn't much help in grinding the blade, like most other styles.
Cleavers are a whole different animal from any of the other style of knives I have made, but I am rarely deterred from a challenge. The only thing I would change for the next one is to use a slightly thinner stock in starting out.
As for my comment about one in damascus, the wider I go with damascus the more difficult it is to keep everything straight and even, a 3 inch piece is difficult but managable but going out to 4 inches makes things quite a bit more difficult, I am not saying that I won't do it, but cost is based partly on the difficulty factor.
Del

Well I love tge profile of this cleaver. If I had the money and didn't own gyutos I loved now I would be all over this blade. Some people might find it blocky but for a cleaver I think it is downright sexy. I also like the wide bevel. I own a Moritaka and a no name stainless San Mai cleaver. I like the wide bevels of the cheapo better than the Moritaka; the moritaka cuts like a dream off the stones for a little while but those wide bevels work well for a cleaver I think.

He told me he's made 1, and he's making me his second! I need to post some more pics of the amazing knives he's made me.

Yes I have, it is one of my favorite knives to date.(not that I don't like all of them, but if I had to pick one this would be it)
Del

nakiri1.jpg

I just noticed this cleaver, is it still for sale?

what do you mean still i believe del made it for the guy that started the thread.

however i think you might be able to talk del into making you one.

Back