Eamon Burke knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlepesons,

I was chatting with Tim Johnson (formerly known as Taz575) about this effort. He'd like to help and has offered to do all the sayas as a batch. He's got basswood on hand, enough to make them all, or we could ship materials to him. I wanted to present this to you all and see if you think it's as good an idea as I do. Tim does good work and would ensure they are all comparable to one another. He also has access to the paper micarta that was spec'd for the handles.

Thoughts?

Tim did a handle for me on a Tojiro Western deba, and I am very pleased with the result. I've seen pictures of his sayas, and they appear to be very similar to those Eamon made. My vote is for Tim to handle sayas for any who opt for it.

Eamon's original thread said that he had all the saya materials, so maybe we'll be able to get the blades and the handle/saya materials from him.

Rick

I know iceman91 wanted leather...does anyone object to Taz doing the rest?

I was going to bring him some to rehandle if neccessary, at my expense. Tim's awesome and will definitely do the right thing. I think it's a great idea Rick and Zwiefel. He's done sayas, rehandles and a rehab or 2 for me . He doesn't waist time and his work is great. If we can't get the materials back from Eamon, I'd kick in some $$ on behalf of the forum guys who are out knives for Tim's work on saya's and handles. I own a Catchside petty, but I have nothing in on this other than a desire to help. Tim is a great option.

I know iceman91 wanted leather...does anyone object to Taz doing the rest?

Just FYI, I would definitely take a leather saya/sheath over a wooden one, but either is fine really. And the wood block I sent was Koa from Burl Source.

k.

Mr drinky I think does?

Let's keep in mind KKF's Terms of Use here folks.

We do not allow the showing of, talking about, or offering of wares/services from non-hobbyists/vendors. Those authorized are to keep discussions of their products/services withon their appropriate sub-forums.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Sorry Dave I thought that it would be ok as I'm not selling anything but offering for free. None the less sorry for "braking the law....braking the law....." Judas Priest Rocks!!!

I prefer leather but if they are all going to Tim anyways I'm perfectly happy with a wood saya. I'm not picky at all on this I just want to see my knife! Haha

Mike

That is amazing if Tim will do that, I don't know him but I trust your judgement. I have no wish to break the forum rules. I'm much appreciative of them for the larger part.
It could get fairly complicated to see these take shape with out posting pictures, and not all helpers will be paid up Vendors or Hobby sales.

With Dave's permission I would suggest a system where people working on different projects share pictures to a folder of my photobucket. I can see who has done what and what stage everything is at. I can then post some of the pictures in the thread, with no names mentioned for who has done the work. It is just under general subcontract of me. So only I post pictures in the thread in the case of the few things we may need to see from non-vendors. I hope that would be acceptable, been a long day. Top work chaps. Here's hoping we don't get left hanging for too long.

Would it be possible for someone with the right access have a look for the List with 15 names and copy and paste it to this thread? I believe it would be in the Pre-buy thread on the Burke Cutlery archives.

I just saw this, haven't read any of it yet though. I've been in a rural town framing a house for a while, and thus have had no internet, and barely any phone service.

I am almost crosseyed with confusion as to why you are all being so helpful--of every overdue responsibility I have, nobody else has offered to help fix it.

I wanted to say that one thing I'll be doing is having a huge sale of the stuff I am not using anymore, and use the money to make some headway/amends on this long overdue order. Ok, I'll go read 10 pages now.

Would it be possible for someone with the right access have a look for the List with 15 names and copy and paste it to this thread? I believe it would be in the Pre-buy thread on the Burke Cutlery archives.

That's gone forever. :(

I just saw this, haven't read any of it yet though. I've been in a rural town framing a house for a while, and thus have had no internet, and barely any phone service.

I am almost crosseyed with confusion as to why you are all being so helpful--of every overdue responsibility I have, nobody else has offered to help fix it.

I wanted to say that one thing I'll be doing is having a huge sale of the stuff I am not using anymore, and use the money to make some headway/amends on this long overdue order. Ok, I'll go read 10 pages now.

Eamon, you're going to also want to read this and this too.

does anyone know an approximate date that Eamon's subforum was deleted? I might be able to find copies on archive.org.

Well, I went out into my workshop and realized that in a just a few weeks, I have managed to forget the code to the padlock on it entirely. I don't know how many of you have ever had a business that went under, but there is apparently a period of denial where you are absolutely deluded that you will be able to do things, or take care of one thing or another without realizing how over it is. This thread made me realize that.

OK here's what I'm going to do. I still have everyone's addresses and whatnot. I do not have any money to ship anything.

In order to make this right, I am going to offer this: If I have something of yours, or something owed, you will get it back, and as a consolation for my shortcomings, you can have whatever is in this thread for the cost of shipping. I do mean it. Some of this stuff is a rare find(wood blocks, etc), some is just helpful for completing or starting a little project. If you are having a person work on your knife/whatever, and want it shipped to them feel free to include whatever else. If you insist on paying for anything, I will redistribute that money to those who didn't get anything, and if any money is left over, it will go to Will.
Here we go--

Send any requests to johndoughy @ gmail dot com. It's my personal email, because I not a vendor here anymore, just a civilian. I don't want to have to mess with my PMs getting full.

Don't be shy, anything that doesn't get taken will go for sale and the money will do the same thing I said before.

I have done a rehandle of my own and done a great many straight razor restores with full sets of scales etc. so I know my way around woodworking. I'm in to help if needed.

As far as i'm concerned ive dropped your debt Eamon, we all make mistakes, I have made plenty and been lucky and had help along the way.

Its great to hear from you. I'm pretty exhausted to think straight just at the minute. But don't run with this, I'm not sure where it would stand with forum rules, also we have a simpler solution logistically.
We have a couple of volunteers to pick stuff up. The extra wood and belts will come in handy i'm sure later and may help to cover some shipping by passing them on to people helping. Heath may well take some belts and wood in return for posting some bits on to get us started getting the work finished. For now just make a list of the extra stuff if you would and pm it to Zweifel, our list chief, it can come into the plan later.
Do We have the utility knives and handle materials? That is the crux of this thread. Also if you can help complete the list of 15 for the knives that would be very helpful.
Zweilfel has been working on a spread sheet to work out whats what, and come the time who we have to work on what. So if you can help him fill in any blanks..
For the part of this thread, I'm going to cover the utility knives and I feel I can take some responsibility for that, and I know what was intended with them. I know there is allot of other stuff to deal with, which would include what to do with the extra belts and stuff, that cant happen in my sub-forum. Hoss has a thread in general chat to cover Saya jobs, handlings and stuff like that. And we can make use of Z and his amazing ability to make these live access spreadsheets to keep track.
Cheers, hope thats clear, off to bed now.:doublethumbsup:

I do have the knives of course, and the materials people sent to me.

I think this is the best thing to do here. I am simply not going to be able to use this stuff anymore, and it would be better for me if I could leave people having actually got something nice, regardless of how forgiving/generous they are feeling. The offer stands for any of this stuff. It just so happens that everyone who bought a knife is someone I think is exceptional as a person, so I would be happy to see them have any and all of it.

WILL you have a heart of GOLD. Strong Karma.

Eamon, Our members still believe in you.

The KNuts that have an investment in this project will smile years from now when holding the Will Catch/ Burke.

Remember " This too will soon Pass"

I do follow.
My concerns are turning the thread into a closing down sale, this thread is not the place for that. And i'm pretty sure it would be in breach of some forum rules.
I think selling the extra wood and belts and stuff is a great idea, put it in the for sale section. The money can go into the postage kitty for later on as stuff is being posted from person to person to complete.
As it stands we have someone willing to pick up a load of stuff and probably another as well. As we are not sure exactly who we are posting it too yet to begin work that would be the best solution, especially as your in the middle of moving etc.

....My concerns are turning the thread into a closing down sale, this thread is not the place for that. And i'm pretty sure it would be in breach of some forum rules.

I agree.

Eamon, all of your posts with pictures of your supplies and what not that you posted here have been deleted. This thread is not the place for that.

Hey Eamon, I'm glad to see you back on the forums. I'm sending you another email, please respond.

Are these hidden tangs? If they are I would be happy to take on as many as three-four for wa's. If these are western and you might want a wa I would be happy to do conversions as well. I can supply the materials too (as long as we keep it pretty simple)

Ok this is tedious. The stuff was not for sale, it was free. That is not a breach of anyone's rules, for me to give stuff to someone for free as a personal gesture.

Did I read correctly that someone would be willing to take care of shipping this stuff off? The truth is I don't have time to fiddle around with this forum anymore. I just invested an afternoon taking inventory and pictures and posting it, as a consolation gesture, and it got deleted because somehow that offends the rules. My lack of time is the reason this order didn't get done, and I just wasted more of it. I can not, and will not, make the same mistake twice.

Again, the stuff was, and remains, free for anyone who owns something that is in my possession.

Thanks Eamon, we will get someone to take care of the knives and materials that need shipping. I know this process is frustrating for all involved, we are appreciative of your help.

Hoss

We need volunteers to help with the shipping. Do we have any members close that are willing to help with this?

Hoss

Eamon, if you're still in the DFW area, I can make a trip to pick stuff up.

I think there was someone named Heath that was willing to pick stuff up as well.

Heath is four hours away, he is willing, if we can find someone closer that would be better.

Hoss

Ok this is tedious. The stuff was not for sale, it was free. That is not a breach of anyone's rules, for me to give stuff to someone for free as a personal gesture.

Did I read correctly that someone would be willing to take care of shipping this stuff off? The truth is I don't have time to fiddle around with this forum anymore. I just invested an afternoon taking inventory and pictures and posting it, as a consolation gesture, and it got deleted because somehow that offends the rules. My lack of time is the reason this order didn't get done, and I just wasted more of it. I can not, and will not, make the same mistake twice.

Again, the stuff was, and remains, free for anyone who owns something that is in my possession.

I'm sorry for your personal plight Eamon, but you seem awfully detached from this problem that you created. You have been given a gift and offered a helping hand and that is the best reply you could come up with? It's like you're not trying to help yourself and you're not trying to help other people help you. And some of them are people you owe. If it were me I'd be show a little humility :dontknow:

Eamon, you posted this giveaway stuff in a vendor's sub forum, that's why it was deleted. This thread is about getting your customers their owed merchandise, funds, property - not for you to give away stuff as a "consolation".

If you want to giveaway stuff we have a Giveaway subforum just for that very thing.http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/60-Giveaways-Pay-It-Forward-Win-a-Knife

Dave, it was not an open giveaway. I do not have money to return to people. I'm beyond broke. I was offering what I have in lieu of money that I do not have, that way people who lost money on it can still get something they want for the portion of what they paid that was going to me, which was supposed to be about $40 per knife, and they ended up costing me $30. It was not a giveaway to be nice, it was intended to make a fair deal for the people who lost money or time because of my personal life.

I'm not detached from this, this thing keeps me awake about 3 out of 5 nights a week. I really just want it to be over, but am extremely limited on means to get much of anything done about anything. Believe it or not, I have been trying to get together the money to fix the tools I used to make these things, and then have ANY time set aside to do the work. That has taken me 5 months and I've gotten very little progress--despite the fact that it has been priority #1 in my life after paying survival expenses for my family. I was just trying to offer what I have to give.

Back