Early use of Chromium in steel discovered

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

GoldCoastMitch

Reaction score

SeattleBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I've always had a pretty soft spot for Gizmodo.

martinezz

Reaction score
Great stuff. Imagine how small percentage of ancient stuff we have actually found, I'm sure we would be surprised with the quality of some knives, swords or tools from ancient era that were lost forever.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Great stuff. Imagine how small percentage of ancient stuff we have actually found, I'm sure we would be surprised with the quality of some knives, swords or tools from ancient era that were lost forever.
Reminds me of the Ancient Egyptian Tube Drills.
The TLDR version is that there are some large drill holes (and cores) left behind in stones from ancient times. The tool has never been found, and we're not quite sure how they did it.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tool has never been found, and we're not quite sure how they did it.
Right. That doesn't mean that an ancient form of high technology is needed. There are plenty of people who managed to make those kinds of holes using very simple and ordinary mechanisms that were within reach of the Egyptians back then.

The Egyptians may not have used those exact same methods. But that doesn't mean that they used some ancient form of high technology. Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology.

Dhoff

Reaction score
Right. That doesn't mean that an ancient form of high technology is needed. There are plenty of people who managed to make those kinds of holes using very simple and ordinary mechanisms that were within reach of the Egyptians back then.

The Egyptians may not have used those exact same methods. But that doesn't mean that they used some ancient form of high technology. Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology.
Heresy! It is clearly the work of Illuminati Alien Lizard people in service of the almighty Cthulhu!

Kippington

A small green parrot
Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology
I don't think you understand. In this context, the whole idea of "high technology" is that they probably had slightly better tools than the ones we've found so far... Which is your quote above in a nutshell.

Unless you think they only used those soft bronze chisels to make the giant granite boxes and other cool stuff.

Last edited:

Dhoff

Reaction score
Sorry Kip, it was not meant as mocking of you or the topic.

Michi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Kip, it was not meant as mocking of you or the topic.
Ditto.

The Egyptians were good engineers. (You don’t build pyramids unless you have a clue.) But no modern technology or alien help was needed, even though we don’t know the exact methods and tools in some cases.