Early use of Chromium in steel discovered

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff. Imagine how small percentage of ancient stuff we have actually found, I'm sure we would be surprised with the quality of some knives, swords or tools from ancient era that were lost forever.

Great stuff. Imagine how small percentage of ancient stuff we have actually found, I'm sure we would be surprised with the quality of some knives, swords or tools from ancient era that were lost forever.
Reminds me of the Ancient Egyptian Tube Drills.
The TLDR version is that there are some large drill holes (and cores) left behind in stones from ancient times. The tool has never been found, and we're not quite sure how they did it.

The tool has never been found, and we're not quite sure how they did it.
Right. That doesn't mean that an ancient form of high technology is needed. There are plenty of people who managed to make those kinds of holes using very simple and ordinary mechanisms that were within reach of the Egyptians back then.

The Egyptians may not have used those exact same methods. But that doesn't mean that they used some ancient form of high technology. Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology.

Right. That doesn't mean that an ancient form of high technology is needed. There are plenty of people who managed to make those kinds of holes using very simple and ordinary mechanisms that were within reach of the Egyptians back then.

The Egyptians may not have used those exact same methods. But that doesn't mean that they used some ancient form of high technology. Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology.

Heresy! It is clearly the work of Illuminati Alien Lizard people in service of the almighty Cthulhu!

Instead, they most likely used some other ancient form of low technology
I don't think you understand. In this context, the whole idea of "high technology" is that they probably had slightly better tools than the ones we've found so far... Which is your quote above in a nutshell.

Unless you think they only used those soft bronze chisels to make the giant granite boxes and other cool stuff.
uc7536.jpg

AyqCWYO.png

Last edited:
Sorry Kip, it was not meant as mocking of you or the topic.

Sorry Kip, it was not meant as mocking of you or the topic.
Ditto.

The Egyptians were good engineers. (You don’t build pyramids unless you have a clue.) But no modern technology or alien help was needed, even though we don’t know the exact methods and tools in some cases.

The Egyptians were good engineers. (You don’t build pyramids unless you have a clue.)
I do think it's fascinating how well they must have had to educate themselves (and each other) in order to succeed, using what I assume we'd think of as substandard tools.

I don't think you understand. In this context, the whole idea of "high technology" is that they probably had slightly better tools than the ones we've found so far... Which is your quote above in a nutshell.

Unless you think they only used those soft bronze chisels to make the giant granite boxes and other cool stuff.
uc7536.jpg

AyqCWYO.png
There are most certainly a few gaps in the technological artifact inventory that are lost to time. There’s just no way. No MF’n way. Low tech my tuchus.

Wikipedia has a fairly detailed Wikipedia on the construction of the pyramids. There are gaps in what we know about how they did it. In particular, how the blocks got up there is not well understood (but possibly with the tools and technologies at the time).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't aliens though. More likely an awful lot of hard labour :)

Wikipedia has a fairly detailed Wikipedia on the construction of the pyramids. There are gaps in what we know about how they did it. In particular, how the blocks got up there is not well understood (but possibly with the tools and technologies at the time).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't aliens though. More likely an awful lot of hard labour :)

Illegal aliens maybe?

Dark humor aside. What seems strange or inconceivable to us is most likely due to our perspective. We do not have the skills or knowledge of earlier times.

Illegal aliens maybe?

Dark humor aside. What seems strange or inconceivable to us is most likely due to our perspective. We do not have the skills or knowledge of earlier times.
We don't have the same skills they did; they also didn't have the same Geneva Convention as we do, and if they conquered a country somewhere, there was nothing in particular to stop them from bringing back that entire nation as slaves - nor were they prevented from treating their own people the same way.

(i.e. I suspect that the secret of the pyramids is the combination of their obviously-considerable engineering knowledge with a vast supply of slave labour that they were willing to treat as disposable.)

Last edited:
Back