Eater: Why Restaurant Owners Are Increasingly Providing Knives to Their Kitchen Staff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think it’s worth mentioning a few points here about ford paying his workers 5/day. It wasn’t some moral stance from him, it was like many of his actions a ruthless business decision. By taking away talent from his competitors he could cause their businesses to fail either due to inability to produce cars, or the resulting low quality of the cars. It also ensured workers showed up, on time and sober which boosted fords own productivity and quality. Finally by letting it’s workers afford the (cheap) model Ts, a vehicle they would have some degree of pride in making it ensured a few more sales that probably offset the increased pay quite a bit.

It’s also worth mentioning that model Ts we’re meant for the mass market, they were not the fine dining of cars, but probably somewhere between McDonald’s and ruby tuesday. To modernize the cost it looks like the entry models went for 18-20k, which is a laughable sum for a new car in the modern era. They were a luxury in that they were new, and many families didn’t have motor vehicles. Beyond that, as the years went on, the price of the car dropped significantly, from around 900 at the time to around 350-400, which is right around 10k USD today. That took them firmly from “expensive but likely possible to many families” to “down right cheap” somewhere in the 5000 range.

Paying workers to afford your product is excellent, but fine dining is a luxury item whereas the model T was priced to be a low price commodity specifically to make it a necessity for all homes to own one. Just like watchmakers who make Rolexes probably can’t afford them, or people who assemble Bugattis can’t fine dining is no different. The chefs at a small mom and pop hole in the wall, could no doubt afford to eat there, but I wouldn’t expect the chef at a high end restaurant to be able to do so on a regular basis.

I just started wondering, as a home cook....do cooks get any training on knifes and knife maintenance ? In the end it all starts there.
We keep a couple of sets of stones around for our cooks to use. They’re not my best stones but I had one of the king combos around until it got soaked in chili oil accidentally. I’ve tried to take time sharpening my own stuff during the lull between station set up and service to go through and show how and when to sharpen/hone multiple times. Some guys take to it. Others ask that I sharpen their knives for them.

Back