eating a whole habanero??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
a few years ago i ate a sliver or maybe even a half small orange habanero, that was shaped like a brain kinda. ~3cm big.
i remember that my face and body was burning up and there was nothing could do to stop it. i had to lay down on the sofa for maybe half an hour.
sweating like a pig. and the day after i was pooping fire.

now i just got some red habaneros, but these look very different, mine looks very similar to these ones below, maybe a bit more elongated. about 5cm long.

and now i wonder if i should eat a whole one. and chew it well. what could possibly go wrong?

would you eat a whole one?
iu

If these are the Caribbean red habañeros, I think they're hotter than the orange ones

Two years ago my 80 years old grandpa ate a whole ghost pepper like a boss. I picked a ghost pepper and put it on the table and sayed to my grandpa "don´t eat it, its not a normal parika, it´t very hot". He wanted to annoy me and ate the whole ghost pepper. I thought **** he will die now but he only got hiccup.

If these are the Caribbean red habañeros, I think they're hotter than the orange ones

i dont know the exact type. all i know is that they are from holland. i figured the look of them would give people a hint of what type/how hot they are.

Back around 1985 or so, one of our customers smuggled seeds of scotch bonnet peppers back from a vacation, grew a lot of them and would bring in several pounds at a time to trade to my crazy Greek boss for meals at the New Orleans takeout restaurant.

While we were closing the restaurant, my younger brother made the mistake of holding up a whole scotch bonnet pepper (Jamaican relative of the habanero, ghost pepper, Bahama goat pepper, all the many other local names for a chinensis chili) and telling the dishwasher, a 17 YO kid he would give him $5 to et the whole thing. The kid grabbed it and did eat the whole thing, chewed and swallowed.

Then, we had to do all the cleaning and closing chores without the kid. Because he was sitting on the back steps of the restaurant, alternately crying, having snot run out his nose in rivers and chugging out of a gallon jug of our lemonade (made from freshLY squeezed lemons- he drank the whole gallon while we closed).

My brother gave him the $5. It was hard earned.

I have grown all of these, the super hots are really only for cooking, making sauces, spicing the really hot dishes. It won't kill you, but the only good thing about eating one whole is when the pain ends but the endorphins are still getting pumped out by your body in response to the trauma you just underwent.

20200723_231728.jpg

Last edited:
I have 6 Red Scotch Bonnets in the garden now. Can you comment on the taste or uses? It is the first year I have tried to grow them. I think I got the seeds from either Baker Creek or the Croatian Seed Store. We are growing some other interesting hot peppers this year too. Aji Charapita, Red Aji, Aji Pineapple, Bueno Mulata, Leutschauer and Hungarian Wax.

Last edited:
Maybe ten years ago or so, I had a business dinner at a Mexican restaurant in the US. One of the appetisers on the menu was a selection of fried chillies. I like hot food, and hadn't come across fried chillies just by themselves before, so I ordered that. I got a small plate with probably eight or nine different chillies arranged very artistically and in glorious contrasting colours. The crowning glory was a whole Habanero chilli that was standing upright in the centre of the plate, surrounded by all its colourful and lesser brethren.

I had not come across a Habanero before and had no idea what was about to hit me. I ate the whole thing (after having eaten the other seven or so chillies first). It was an interesting experience. And the next morning was, shall we say, a struggle. I made several vows that morning, all within about thirty minutes, and all of them while I was still in the bathroom…

Just going off of the shape and color I would guess at a typical west indies red habanero. Found/grown all over the Caribbean.
Should you eat the whole thing, well that depends on your tolerance for heat.
I believe most red habanero are in the 300,000 to 400,000 scoville range.

Have a look at Chili Klaus and his friend eating a Carolina Reaper each. Eating starts at 4:10 🥵🥵😀
(It's in danish, but I think you'll get it anyway ;) )

Laste year I 'farmed' some chilies on our balcony what worked pretty well. I DID manage to each a whole habanero - but it was at most 15mm long and it was a TOUGH experience. I am beginner when it comes to chilies. At the same time it needs to be said that habaneros are farm from the most hot chilies. I would not even dare to try those. It takes some getting used to to this stuff. I dried and powdered most of them - the habaneros are rather weak (still strong, but dose-able) compared to say Tordnado where one really needs just a tiny amount to make your soup real hot.

What tastes fantastic ist smoked and dried chilies.

I had some habaneros left over from when I was making some braised oxtail. I decided to eat one whole and it was definitely an interesting experience. A lot of pain and jumping around and tons of relief when it was finally all over.

Probably the worst part though is when it all comes out the other end as lava though.

I ate a whole scotch bonnet once on a bet... whoever goes for the milk first buys booze for the weekend.. Oh, fun of being 18-20 year olds again. Ya, not doing that stuff again. It's like you are breathing fire for 30 minutes and sweat from spots you never know existed

Some years ago now I used to attend a trade show where one company put on a "hot pepper eating contest.' My boss put me in for our group but after 18 Thai peppers she pulled me out. Said I was turning green and she was afraid I was going to toss my cookies all over the place! The lady that won practically every year could eat Scotch Bonnets like they were chocolate candy.

On a related note. You can increase your tolerance by steadily eating hotter and hotter things over the course of a few weeks. I used to be able to handle massive amounts of heat when I was younger, but have toned things back considerably. Though, when I really want pain, I just order "Thai Hot" at one of the local Thai restaurants.

One of my friends wanted to train up to be able to eat a carolina reaper, but I'm not sure that's on my bucket list yet.

I'd much rather choose peppers for flavour over solely for heat-intensity. Years ago, I bought a cookbook titled Chili Madness,,, and there was a deeeeelicious award-winning recipe in there by Chef Pierre Franet (of PBS fame). Plenty of heat,,, but the key was flavour-blend. If I'm not mistaken he used guajillo, pasilla, jalapeno, and ancho peppers in his chili recipe. I believe there are now several editions of Chili Madness, and the recipes are based on annual Chili cook-offs,,, and the event is put on by C.A.S.A.,,,Chili Appreciation Society of America.

I always go with "hot" over medium,,,and I never go mild..... but the flavour has to be there too.

Wasabi and Harissa can be interesting too. The first time I ate wasabi, was at a sushi bar on the Steveston Docks outside Vancouver. There was a little lump of green ingredient on the plate,,, about 1 heaping tbsp,,and having never seen Wasabi,,,I thought it was avocado, so I put the whole thing in my mouth and swallowed it whole. OMG,,,, call 911. I swore that thing was eating a path right through my stomach, and would surely eat it's way through the wooden dock I was standing on, at any moment.

Another experience I had was while making my own habanero sauce. The recipe specifically warned to not touch your face after handling the peppers,,,especially around your eyes. WASH YOUR HANDS with warm soapy water it said. Okay,,,, so I went to the bathroom and did that. After I was done washing, I had to "have a wizz",,, and despite having washed my hands thoroughly,,all of a sudden I started burning up my critical parts,,,and as the heat intensified, I found myself doing the "dance-of-a-thousand-veils" around the bathroom,,, sounding and looking like an agitated chimpanzee "OO-OO-OO"all the while trying to supress a primal scream so others in the kitchen wouldn't hear. Chalk one up to life-experience.

Last edited:
u can eat whole and if u r not used to spicy u ll regret it and at the same time u ll get happy rush because of endorphins...

If u r healthy (ok lungs and heart) nothing really bad can happen. Take yogurt and fatty things it works best...

GL and make video 🙃

a few years ago i ate a sliver or maybe even a half small orange habanero, that was shaped like a brain kinda. ~3cm big.
i remember that my face and body was burning up and there was nothing could do to stop it. i had to lay down on the sofa for maybe half an hour.
sweating like a pig. and the day after i was pooping fire.

now i just got some red habaneros, but these look very different, mine looks very similar to these ones below, maybe a bit more elongated. about 5cm long.

and now i wonder if i should eat a whole one. and chew it well. what could possibly go wrong?

would you eat a whole one?
iu

Do it, they´re super good, and the endorphines will make you happy. Day after too. And when you want more good stuff, "chilitantens heta såser" for good superhot salts and sauses.

btw u sure that small brain like orange pepper was habanero?

It looked like this? (it s 7pot brain strain yellow and it s really spicy like 5x spicier than habanero)
1596049061208.png

anyway, i ate a whole habanero yesterday for breakfast. i cut it up in 4 pieces and ate them one at a time but in a fairly good tempo. chewed very well. luckily for me this was about 2h before i had to ride to work.

At first it was just fruity and a bit juicy, but then after maybe 1 minute it started getting really hot, my eyes and nose started running like crazy. and my throat started burning too. the burning part lasted for maybe 5 minutes i'd say. i also had a stomach ache for the whole day.

the day before yesterday i got this massive pain in my throat, i felt i was the beginning of either the flu/a cold/corona or some other crap. so i thought what if i eat that habanero, maybe it will kill the bacteria/virus? and it did :) disappeared in a day.

Back