eBay stones trustworthy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to buy jnats or atoma plates on eBay, especially if sellers are from Japan? Any concerns around counterfeiting or illegitimacy?

Think Atoma plates should be fine and compare to Amazon Japan.

For Jnats, it really depends. There are a lot of "fake" stones out there. Some sellers even say they are based in Japan, but actually ship from somewhere else. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-stories-of-success-pitfalls-and-fails.38819/
Some sellers are identified there. There are trustworthy deals on eBay, but I'd recommend to know what you're looking for (in terms of the stone quality, slurry etc.), and take the experience of others as a guide.

For Atoma plates, bluewayjapan would be trustworthy on eBay, but it's not the cheapest option and comparable to buying locally when you factor in shipping. Unless you're buying multiple items from him, as he only charges a flat rate of $20 for shipping.

Alternatively, one could buy from Plaza Japan, but without SAL shipping, it may not be cheaper than local retailers either. Their customer service isn't great, but I've ordered from them before and their replacement plates are of quality and seem authentic.

I’ve got some hits with eBay stones. But mostly I buy to gamble on them. But I’ve never had any bad stones, just stones that don’t fit with my style or workflow.

Their stones aren't bad either. Depends on your style, but their softer stones (3-3.5 based on their ratings) might be more beginner friendly. Love the suitas I've gotten from them.

For their more expensive stones, buy direct from them, you still get PayPal protection, but less the eBay fees. The cheaper ones only go on auction on eBay.

Back