ebay Yanagi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea but it's damascus, nice-looking handle and a decent size for under $200. How does someone make a good knife for that kind of money? Seems too good to be true. If you are looking for a model, it's probably fine but I would expect to find some sort of grind issues or other. Then again, it is Blueway... Good luck!

I have no experience of this particular knife, but I've bought loads of knives from Keiichi and they are generally fantastic value. Just something I noticed, isn't that particular knife White #3? So maybe that explains why it is so cheap

If you plan to make a yanagi and want to have one up close to study, you should just borrow one from a member here. I agree with tk on probability of it being a low quality knife.

M

BWJ sells knives from several different makers. I have 3 knives from Yusuke (all great), but none from the maker of this yanagi. This knife is white #3 per the spec's. Personally I would get one of his other yanagi's made w/ white #2 even though they are not damascus. And I agree w/ TK and MT - how good can they really be for under $200. They may have grind issues, but for a learning yanagi I think they're prolly fine. Also check Yoshihiro Cutlery on eBay for other low-priced yanagi's - they all come w/ saya's. mpp

I've got two Kinikuchi white #2 from Keiichi, a deba and an usuba. An usuba came with pretty decent grind and finish, and was fairly straight, a fantastic value knife. A deba came with little warp / bent towards the tip curving back to jigane side. Ura grind close to the tip was crooked as well.

So Kinikuchi white #2 line could be a hit and miss; however, blue #2 line with octagonal handle suppose to have better fit & finish and better grind as well.

As schanop alluded to, BWJ sell loads of knives that aren't listed. I was given a list of about 8 different usubas Keiichi sells when I emailed him. The price for mine was very reasonable, even for a lefty and after a little TLC is working out pretty good. Just an idea if you are looking for a yanagi that isn't super expensive

Sorry, i should have specified. This knife is more for use and less for study. I have seen white #3 on a spec sheet, but didn't see much of a noticeable difference between that and #2 except .1-.2% less carbon. Maybe i just need to stick to Jon's site :)

Back