ECG 2016 - Northern Virginia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Sunday in May works best for you?

• May 1 (Sunday)

• May 15 (Sunday)

• May 22 (Sunday)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dammit... I might have to try and make it.

Maybe I can hitch a ride with Marko [emoji12][emoji106]
:rofl2: Totally agree with joining up with another KKFer for a ride, but Marko's got a history of having trouble making it to ECGs. Maybe this will light a fire under his tucas, as it's great when he makes it. :D

If it's the stainless one, it'll probably weigh MORE than your Lamborghini, lol.

East Coast Gathering. Search the forum for the thread on the 2015 ECG and you can see what it is like. Someone hosts at their house for the day, and KKFers swoop in with hundreds of knives to show/ compare, and to eat/ drink and meet each other in person.

Not to be confused with the gatherings in the Minneapolis area -- which are 2-day long binge-drinking fests :) Although give us time, we'll get there some day!

Great to know! I can make and bring some traditional northern Thai dishes if that works with everyone!

Great to know! I can make and bring some traditional northern Thai dishes if that works with everyone!

I LOVE Thai food, please bring some!

Also, for out of towners who are here Sat maybe a lunch at Eden center would be nice, I love the Pho at Pho VA: http://edencenter.com/

Or another great restaurant is Peter Chang: http://www.peterchangrva.com/ His Dry Fried Eggplant, Pork Belly, and Hot and Numbing Beef Brisket are addictive.

David already mentioned Green Pig Bistro for dinner Sat night. I think we should also find a way to go downtown to Mike's place Zaytinya.

ECG typically starts mid- to late-morning and goes into the evening. How early it starts and how late it ends usually depends on if there are many from out-of-town, which it sounds like may be the case this year. I would expect most people who lay out their knives to have them out from about noon until late afternoon, but some will be out longer. I suspect at a minimum there will be a collection of people around from mid-morning until after dinner time.

ECG typically starts mid- to late-morning and goes into the evening. How early it starts and how late it ends usually depends on if there are many from out-of-town, which it sounds like may be the case this year. I would expect most people who lay out their knives to have them out from about noon until late afternoon, but some will be out longer. I suspect at a minimum there will be a collection of people around from mid-morning until after dinner time.

It might've been mentioned somewhere, but is there a deadline to commit? Still waiting for my wife to confirm if she has to travel for work that weekend, then I'd be stuck with the heir to my knife fortune [emoji23][emoji12]

No deadline to commit, it just helps with food/ drink and display table planning for the host to know a little in advance. There are usually a handful of people who either drop out that day or discover they can make it. It's a pretty casual event.

I will try to make this year. I have a big enough truck where I can put a couple of grinders (universal and vertical), end-grain boards, mag-strips, and of course - knives, to showcase all that I have been working on))).

Now just need to find a good mechanic on the forum to help diagnose a couple of things in the truck, before I take on the journey)) Getting the truck break down a few hundred miles away from home is not an exciting proposition. )))

M

Marko,

What kind of truck do you have? My best friend is ASE certified in all the automobile categories - except diesel. I could have him give you a call.

It might've been mentioned somewhere, but is there a deadline to commit? Still waiting for my wife to confirm if she has to travel for work that weekend, then I'd be stuck with the heir to my knife fortune [emoji23][emoji12]

You'll probably be fine, unless your wife hears you say you'll be 'stuck with' your kid lol. Then she's DEFINITELY going to have to travel for work that weekend :p.

I'm sure my 3-year-old will either make an appearance at Bill13's, or be continually underfoot if it is at my house. They can compare their parents' knife collections and start plotting how/ when to bump us off.

If he is into Lego's, he won't want to leave. I would guess my son has about 30 thousand Lego pieces :eek2:.

You'll probably be fine, unless your wife hears you say you'll be 'stuck with' your kid lol. Then she's DEFINITELY going to have to travel for work that weekend :p.

Yeah, I wouldn't usually put it that way either, but I just spent a week alone with him while he was sick, so I'm still trying to recover from that (of course now I am sick...) [emoji12][emoji23]

I plan on attending, assuming I can shake the cold I have been fighting for the past month. Very much looking forward to it. -Doug

Geez, that was close - just caught myself looking into flights to Europe on May 12-14. What was I thinking? Still planning on coming to the ECG. Btw, anybody planning on selling tools for handle making that I could pick up at the ECG? ;) Only half joking, please PM if you do. Hope this doesn't get me in trouble...

Stefan

... Btw, anybody planning on selling tools for handle making that I could pick up at the ECG? ;) Only half joking, please PM if you do. Hope this doesn't get me in trouble...

Stefan

Stefan,
I might have just that))) A grinder or two, that will make handle making a breeze))) Hell, I might even demonstrate that))) How about an octagonal handle under 10 minutes all the way up to 400 grit?

M

Stefan,
I might have just that))) A grinder or two, that will make handle making a breeze))) Hell, I might even demonstrate that))) How about an octagonal handle under 10 minutes all the way up to 400 grit?

M

Sigh, what would I need and how much do I need to invest? Since I am planning on setting up the shop, now is the time to think about this, I guess.

Stefan

I don't know. You guys think I should go this year? Anyone else in NJ going?

Back