• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Echerub's BIG knife blowout - there's gonna be something you want :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echerub

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I haven't been here for some time, principally because I had to stay away in order to stop buying any more knives and stones! So some of you don't know me here and don't remember the last time I had a big sale. On the other hand, some of you I know remember the previous big sale :)

I have reason now to really pare down what I have on-hand. It's been an interesting experience trying to really decide which are the knives that suit me best. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's not always the most expensive ones! However, there's so much that's subjective about what feels best to one person versus another, that I know there's a lot here that many of you will find intriguing - and certainly I think they are all excellent knives. These knives, after all, were already on my stage-one short-list!

So on with the sale itself!

There are 66 knives for sale. I'm not going to type everything out, so I'm going to give you a screenshot from my Excel spreadsheet (yep, I had to use Excel to track my collection).

Type, Maker, Length - self-explanatory
Line & Variant - if a maker has different product lines, I noted what particular line this came from, and if it is a sub-type or variant of the main knife type (like mioroshi deba), I indicate it here as well... or just a note about the individual who made the knife
Steel - self-explanatory
Const = construction - what structure or method-of-making
Saya - yes/no
New - brand-new, used once or twice, used 3 maybe 4 times, or used more than that
S = sharpened - have I sharpened the knife before
Asking - my asking price for the knife

Prices are in USD and include Paypal fees - but if you are in Canada, let's use Interac e-transfer. You buy two or more knives, shipping within Canada & the USA is on me. If you're just buying one, please add $5 for shipping. (That's really just for part of shipping. This is more to encourage you to get more than 1 than anything else ;) ) Other countries, let's chat.

knife-sell-list-v1-2.jpg

Further notes/descriptions for these knives and photos coming later today. I won't do photos of stuff that's brand-spankin' new that looks just like what you'd find from a retailer's website, though.

I've been absent from the knife world and knife community for a while, so if there's something you like but you think my asking price is way out of whack, send me a PM and we can discuss.

I want one of the new Kato gyutos. I'll pm to pick which

EDIT: Read Yoshihide as Yosihide...

Or is it a Yosihide - sent you a pm =)

PM sent for 240 Wantanabe pro gyuto.

Descriptive Notes:

Chuka - Ashi hamano 220 swedish stainless - this is an actual Gesshin Ginga, so it's at the JKI quality standard. I just tracked it as Ashi Hamano because that's the maker behind it.

Chuka - Devin Thomas 220 ITK - this is a rare, probably 1-of-a-kind chuka. Devin only did a handful of ITK chukas, and this was the last one he made (from what I know) when he modified the design so that it doesn't have the "neck" between the ferrule and the back edge of the blade. The steel is AEBL but I've had this thing in storage for a bit and there's a slight color difference between the covered up part and the exposed part of the blade face. I'll go over it with a polish later and see if this comes right off. Functionally, this is an excellent, excellent cleaver. Probably the best I've used, but in my kitchen I'm more comfortable using cleavers that I don't have to keep a close eye on when family and friends come over and help out.

Chuka - Gesshin Hide - brand new, custom ordered from JKI. Comes with cherry blossoms engraved on the front side.

Chuka - Shigefusa - yeah, you read this one right; it's one of those rare beasts that folks talk about in hushed tones and wonder if they really exist. This one was a special order, and I know when my buddy who helped me get this sees this he's going to be saying, "What!? After all the trouble I went through to get this for you!?" Used just a few times and realized I couldn't use a chuka in my kitchen that I'd have to keep an eye on and worry about if my wife or a relative picked up to use.

Chuka - Takeda 265 - A big cleaver in terms of dimensions, but not heavy by comparison to some other smaller chukas I've used. This was made by Takeda years ago before there were any concerns about changes in geometry and grind. The saya is a rustic affair since it was ordered from Takeda at the same time as the knife, so it's not as smooth as most sayas are. Wonderful chuka, but nobody in my family will use this thing except me because of its size - and people spend more time talking about this thing than actually helping out. But if you are doing a good volume of vegetables, man, the size of this thing and its feel and balance make that easy work.

Deba - Masamoto 225 mioroshi old stock - got this one off a KKF'er a while back. It's an excellent little knife, with a unique-looking saya. I don't know what the wood for the saya is, but it is really elegant and looks like the classic that it and the knife are.

Gyuto - Del Ealy O-1 mono - this one has some cosmetic issues on the blade faces thanks to the edge guards I used to use. You'll see photos later on. No functional issues, just doesn't look pristine anymore. Great balance and it's a really cool combination of nimbleness with high heel height for scooping. I've adjusted my asking price down a bit because of the cosmetic issue.

Gyuto - Ichimonji Kichikuni konkasumi & Konosuke Fujiyama 240 - these two knives are identical; they are most likely made by the same craftsman who does work for both Konosuke and Ichimonji Kichikuni. Wonderful gyuto if you're looking for something thin behind the edge. I like these guys better than the regular Fujiyama grind like the 270 that's also for sale. These feel absolutely natural in the hand and if they don't sell, I'll be *happy*!

Gyuto - Kochi mikagi - I got this one off a KKF'er a while back and it seems he tried to thin it but didn't get very far along. So, from what I can tell the shoulders got raised a bit and some of the blade faces got "shiny'd" up. Still an excellent knife and I've adjusted the asking price down because of the cosmetic thing.

Gyuto - Monzaburo honyaki 240 - This is *the* most laser of the lasers. It's incredible the skill put into making this thing - a true differentially-tempered honyaki blade where the absolute thinness of the blade makes even Konosuke Fujiyama knives look thick. The low blade height on this guy and its amazingly light weight & nimbleness make this feel like a step up from the 210 line knives that a lot of folks like to use. Manny, if you're reading this and haven't already jumped on it, do you *really* want to miss this one again? :)

Gyuto - Takeda 240 kiritsuke/kiri-gyutos - These are double-beveled gyuto with a kiritsuke profile. Nice, flat edges on them. These are Classic's not the stainless-clad, and have really nice, thin geometry. I hand-selected these guys at Tosho back when concerns started arising about Takeda geometry, grinds, whatever. These kiri-gyutos remind me a lot of the old, old Takedas that made the Takeda name prominent in the knife community - they're made that nicely.

Gyuto - Watanabe Pro 240 - This knife has the best feel on the stones I have ever come across. It's absolutely amazing how Watanabe has worked this blue steel. This knife has a Mike Henry handle on it, but unfortunately some time ago I had put this knife in storage with an edge guard that caused cosmetic issues with the blade faces. I've priced this knife to take into account the cosmetic issue - photos will be coming shortly.

Gyuto - Watanabe 240 honyaki - Yes, this is a honyaki in blue steel by one of the masters of blue steel. Higher profile height than typical, and a really solid feel on it. Like the regular Pro gyuto, this Watanabe gyuto is of the workhorse variety. The handle looks to be ichii/yew or something similar.

Gyuto - Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kato - These 3 are all JNS workhorse Kato's, not the regular Kato's. 2 of 'em brand spankin' new, and one of them used just a handful of times.

Gyuto - Marko Tsourkan 245 heavy chef - I don't know if Marko's been doing heavy chefs in the past little while, but this is definitely a beefier, heavier-duty knife than the standard gyuto that Marko makes. This is a full-quality knife, not a practice specimen.

Gyuto - Yoshihide 270 - made by one of the Shigefusa boys (the elder son, I believe) so this is really a Shigefusa kasumi gyuto. Excellent performer as you'd expect. However, like a few of the other gyutos above, I used to store this with an edge guard that caused some cosmetic issues with the blade faces. Photos coming later. No effect on the performance of the knife, but I've priced the knife to take into account the cosmetic blemishing.

Nakiri - Konosuke white 1 - This thing is thin, thin, thin but you don't need to baby it. It caught my attention from the first time I picked it up at Tosho. I think this particular knife was made back when Tosho and Konosuke were experimenting with different steels from different craftsmen. You don't see stuff in White 1 often at all, and this is an excellent nakiri. If it doesn't sell, I won't shed any tears about that ;)

Nakiri - Nobuyasu Ltd Edition - These guys were made by Hoshino-san, a friend of Iwasaki, and made for Mizuochi-san who makes Iwasaki razors. These are KU knives, so they don't look flashy, but they are absolutely masterfully-made. If you compare to Shigefusa KU knives, they aren't as polished in the extra details, but the taper, balance, grind, everything is excellent. Geometry is similar to, but not exactly, the S-grind that you see with Shigefusa knives.

Petty - Shigefusa - this one comes with a different handle than you usually find. It's not ho wood, it's not ichii, it's just something Iizuka-san thought would be cool for a handle. Whatever the wood is, it's lacquered and ferrule-less.

Santoku - Masayuki - These are made by one of the Shigefusa boys (the younger son, I believe) and are in all respects other than the Kanji engraving Shigefusa KU santoku.

Santoku - Takeda banno-bunko - This one is a classic Takeda made quite some time ago. Thin, light ... not even really like most santoku. It's lighter, has a lower blade height, and flatter edge than any santoku. It's its own thing, really, but an excellent example of the work that made Takeda well-known... and before there were any questions or concerns about what was coming out of Takeda's shop.

Yanagiba - Sakai Izuminokami kitaeji - This is a stunning work of functional art all-round, including the saya itself. You've got to see the photos though nothing does justice to this like seeing it for yourself in your own hands.

Chuka - Shigefusa - yeah, you read this one right; it's one of those rare beasts that folks talk about in hushed tones and wonder if they really exist. This one was a special order, and I know when my buddy who helped me get this sees this he's going to be saying, "What!? After all the trouble I went through to get this for you!?" Used just a few times and realized I couldn't use a chuka in my kitchen that I'd have to keep an eye on and worry about if my wife or a relative picked up to use.

:scared4: How'd you know!?

:scared4: How'd you know!?

I was pretty sure this was the one you sourced!

good lord thats a lot of knives for sale... :bigeek:

Whew. Hey folks. Lots to catch up on, so give me a bit of time to reply to everyone :)

I've posted the first batch of photos. More to come yet. This is all the double-beveled ones, I think... except for the Nobuyasu nakiri that I remembered *after* I uploaded this batch. The next batch of photos will be the single-bevels and I hope to get them up here before 6:30 EST. Otherwise it'll have to be way later tonight when I get back.

Updated list based on (a) my not-very-accurate recollection of what's already been "claimed", and (b) a few adjustments for whether particular knives have been sharpened b/c when I took photos I noted that they'd been sharpened by previous owners.

knife-sell-list-v2-0.jpg

I sometimes purchased with "just in case" in mind :)

Folks, I'm gonna start tackling the PM's later tonight - I'm putting priority on the photos first. Rest assured that I will take things in chronological order. Please excuse my temporary silence on the PM's - they are coming through a-ok from what I can see on the PM counter :)

Oh, and I'm out as a chauffeur right now and have an evening class to teach later. That just makes me even slower. But I'll get on the PM's tonight! I promise!

Hi

I'm interested in the shig kurouchi petty.

I'm from downtown TO. Possible to deal in person?

I sometimes purchased with "just in case" in mind :)

Folks, I'm gonna start tackling the PM's later tonight - I'm putting priority on the photos first. Rest assured that I will take things in chronological order. Please excuse my temporary silence on the PM's - they are coming through a-ok from what I can see on the PM counter :)

Just in case for what :lol2: hope I managed to get one of them though

Y'never know what might happen between now and senility :)

Okay, on to the PM's!

Back