EDC advice???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amithrain

Reaction score
I don’t really know where to put this so into off topic it goes (probably a risky choice). So I’ve never really gotten into pocket knives/edc and I know next to nothing. Do you all have any knife recs/advice (fairly cheap, I’ve spent too much already) for an absolute novice like me?? I trust you KKFers on knife stuff more than any other source so please lend me your knowledge knife wizards

Last edited:
How much do you want to spend, what size are you looking for and how comfortable are you with sharpening pocket knives. Also, make sure you know your local laws on knife carry. Drastically different in different states.

I just use a blue kurochi higonokami. I would love a solid pocket knife one day. For now, this works great.

Spydeco Delica
Spyderco Sage1
Spydeco Paramilitary
Benchmade 940
These are all recognised as being excellent EDC pocket knives.

I'm sure that mine is an unpopular opinion, but my number one rule for EDC is that the knife is cheap enough to walk away from without drama. Of course the $ amount will depend on your means.

You say you're new to EDC, so I'll offer one bit of advice--figure out how you want to carry your knife first. I dislike pocket clips a great deal for several reasons: they're generally ugly, they catch on things, they create uncomfortable handles when you really have to hold the knife firmly, and they reveal to all that you have a knife.

I carry in my pocket. For that, I insist my knives have a solid back. If the back is not solid, then keys or coins in your pocket can push it open enough to allow the tip to slash or stab you when you reach into your pocket. I loved the beauty and workmanship of my Chris Reeve, but I sold it here because of its open back and my safety concern.

My preference for safety and ease of one-handed use is a lockback. I'm in the Spyderco Native/Sage lockback camp myself. I don't like the roughness and protrusion that accompanies thumb studs. Flippers usually have ugly flipping tabs that protrude from the knife akwardly. The extra steel to cover the back of the knife adds a little weight, but it's worth it.

I would reiterate the question about the intended use and add a question about your budget.

Price would be as cheap as possible bc I don’t trust myself not to lose it. Intended use is just for whatever needs cutting day-to-day. Cutting cardboard, opening packages, prying open stuff, sniping loose threads, etc

Price would be as cheap as possible bc I don’t trust myself not to lose it. Intended use is just for whatever needs cutting day-to-day. Cutting cardboard, opening packages, prying open stuff, sniping loose threads, etc

Still not that much info, but Ontario Rat-1/2 are some great value budget knives, which are also good for one hand opening. SpyderCo Delica is a really iconic knife, if you go up a bit in price. For a longer version, check out the Endura and Endela.

As mentioned above, Opinels are a bargain, but a bit larger and hard to open one handed.

These knives are also safe. Not a good idea to buy a gas station knife and cut your fingers off.

Get an Opinel to start with. They are quality yet cheap, easy to sharpen and get screaming sharp, easily modified either handle or blade shape and are at a price that you wont cry so hard should you loose it. Don't be discouraged by the handle shape as they are light and ride nicely in the pocket. Pick a size that you think you like and you can progress from there.

Just get a Chris Reeve and get it over with.

buy once, cry once.

a Sebenza is still the best knife you can buy. Ive tried to find something better and failed. It just gets all the details right.

If I couldnt afford that I'd get the CQI Spydiechef (which is a horrible name because like basically all other pocket knives it's ground WAY too thick but it's a good edc knife).

buy once, cry once.

a Sebenza is still the best knife you can buy. Ive tried to find something better and failed. It just gets all the details right.

If I couldnt afford that I'd get the CQI Spydiechef (which is a horrible name because like basically all other pocket knives it's ground WAY too thick but it's a good edc knife).
I have more EDCs than I care to acknowledge, but I usually grab my sebenza (I have 3) before I leave.

I have more EDCs than I care to acknowledge, but I usually grab my sebenza (I have 3) before I leave.

me too.

recently got both sizes of the CKF / Phillipe Jourget FIF collaboration knives. Big $$$. Not as good as a Sebenza.

The only thing Ive found that's legitimately competitive is Shirogorov but you pay an INSANE amount and then you have to deal with their warranty situation. CRK will rehab their knives, basically no questions asked as long as youre a reasonable person doing reasonable knife stuff. That's a big plus.

My large 21 was made in 2009. Since then Ive gone through multiple Striders, MKFs, a Hinderer or two, etc. etc. etc. and it's baffling to me how wrong all these high end knife makers get it. Just grind it to cut and use chicago style allen screws to bolt it together.

Not hard, and yet CRK is the only company that gets it (although their newer screws are different to no advantage I can intuit)

Luckily I haven't gotten any of those makers yet, but good to know. Most of my big time, expensive knives are ABS/MS gentleman knives, usually damascus, and I have my CRKs for all purpose, and brands like Benchmade, Spyderco, and ZT for rough stuff.

I've had a few sebenzas and they are good knives, but I wouldn't buy another. They are too heavy and too blocky for what they are. I prefer spydercos these days. There are a few benchmades that are good such as griptilian and the new bugout. ZT and giant mouse have a few cool models as well. I like Spyderco the best though, different steels different locks and just a cool company that caters to knife enthusiasts. Military, police, para 2,3, native, etc. Sebenzas are ok...

As far as getting a really cheap EDC, I wouldn't, you want a quality knife, doesn't have to be expensive, but needs to be decent. You want a good lock and decent steel, you want a handle that is somewhat comfortable, all of that costs money. You can buy a decent folder for $140-$200, some are even cheaper. Know your laws though, some states might not allow concealed carry of pocket knives and then you have to have a pocket clip so that the knife is no concealed. For example in CA you can't carry any fixed blade concealed.

*just to add, I doubt you are ready to splurge for a CRK yet, just chatter amongst us knife nuts. Heaviness is a subjective thing; if I were working on my feet, I could see that. I'm not, so a CRK fits the bill for me...beauty and functional. Goes with my dress pants well. Your needs and perceptions may vary.

I like spyderco too, nice and light, high quality without frills. I carry a delica when I go camping or do outdoorsy stuff, but it's too much for regular life. Most of the time I carry a victorinox cadet because I work with a wide variety of people and I'd prefer not to be known as the crazy knife guy.

My favorites at the moment are para 2 and 3. For camping military or police would be my choice, but in that situation I would prefer a fixed blade. I prefer high wear resistance steels on small folders for a few reasons. Most stuff that small blades cut is cardboard, paper, tape, rope, wire, zip ties, etc. all these are high wear materials. Small knives have very little edge so they dull quickly from these high wear materials. When sharpening small edges are easier than long in a sense that less steel needs to be removed. Short blades don’t experience the forces that long blades do just from the lack of leverage, unless you abuse them and that is different. In any case, many choices, but you need to decide your use and budget first.

I don’t really know where to put this so into off topic it goes (probably a risky choice). So I’ve never really gotten into pocket knives/edc and I know next to nothing. Do you all have any knife recs/advice (fairly cheap, I’ve spent too much already) for an absolute novice like me?? I trust you KKFers on knife stuff more than any other source so please lend me your knowledge knife wizards
what's your style? you want to open it once handed, or can you dig a two handed opeening operation?

Back