EdipisReks' knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time the sun is out out there, I want to see what else you have in your block. Surely this can't be all of it. Paring knives, petties, bread knife, etc.

Stop holding out on us!

i really don't have a lot more. a Robert Herder parer, a Nogent slicer, a Shun parer, and a Shun utility. i've owned quite a few other knives in the past, but i tend to get rid of stuff pretty quickly if i quit using it.

No suji? No bread knife? Herder paring knife is sort of rare/interesting...

This thread is really over?

There's a bread knife. In the same picture as the Carter. My thread would be really boring, then. Two knives. I'm even quicker to get rid of stuff if I'm not getting much use out of it.

There's a bread knife. In the same picture as the Carter.

So there is, I missed it.

I'm even quicker to get rid of stuff if I'm not getting much use out of it.

I think this is pretty common around here. I admire those of you who can let go of things and not let them sit in a drawer unused. I think one of the cool things about this section of the forum is that if you post things as you acquire them, even after they are gone you can look back and remember the good times (or bad) with knives that have moved on to new owners. ;)

There's a bread knife. In the same picture as the Carter. My thread would be really boring, then. Two knives. I'm even quicker to get rid of stuff if I'm not getting much use out of it.

and the Carter is a suji, though it has moved on, now.

i've been working on my Shigefusa a bit, and i think i have the geometry about where i want it...

(click to embiggen)

Masamoto goes out, another Takeda arrives:

i'll probably own another Masamoto, down the road (just as i'll likely own another Mizuno), but i sure like this tall Takeda! and a fantastic Keller handle!

oh, and the Shig is no longer shiny, now that i've figured out how to approximate the stock Shig finish. i have the Yoshikane close to stock finish now, too, using a combination of purposefully bowled King 800 and sandpaper. and there is a K-Sab now, as well.

Masamoto goes out, another Takeda arrives...

I liked your KS, but I like this Takeda too (a pair of great whites).

...oh, and the Shig is no longer shiny, now that i've figured out how to approximate the stock Shig finish. i have the Yoshikane close to stock finish now, too, using a combination of purposefully bowled King 800 and sandpaper. and there is a K-Sab now, as well.

A picture is worth a thousand words. ;)

i thought i'd post a picture of my Singatirin Honyaki, which looks pretty much exactly opposite of that awesome Masamoto polish that Jon posted.

click to embiggen

How do you like the Singatirin?

my car was broken into last night, and between waiting for the police, waiting for the insurance agent, and waiting for the tow truck, I had lots of time to do some work that I'd been putting off (thinning and refinishing the top 240, the 270 and the Shig, mainly). I thought people might like a little "family photo," as it were. The bottom one isn't mine, but is one Brainsausage sent me for a refreshment and a new handle.

click to embiggen

Seems you could really use a Heiji to even out that collection.

Incredible set jacob. The second from the top looks tight. Did you get the finger stones out?

Thanks, man. My finger stones have all turned into tiny little scales, and I haven't ordered new ones from Maxim yet, so I ended up using various grits of sandpaper that I doped with water stone slurry, or the finish. Not as handy as finger stones, but it worked. That second from the top is my newest Gesshin Heiji. It's the most perfect knife I've ever used. Medium thickness, very tall bevels tapering strongly to a very, very thin edge, a super thin tip, and very good food release. The third down is the carbon I ordered directly from Nakaya-San. It was the previous champion cutter, and I told Jon about that right before I ordered the Gesshin I mentioned: he might have sent me a ringer. :) The top 240 and the 270 were bought used and had tips that were raised. I've been slowly fixing that as I've sharpened.

Seems you could really use a Heiji to even out that collection.

Yeah, I should probably get a 240 semi-stainless gyuto. :)

ER, Sorry to hear about your car. Hope the bad guys didn't nab anything of worth. I mean, who breaks into cars these days? What's to steal? Car mats, left over fries and seat lint.

Nothing was stolen, just a piece of concrete tossed through the driver side window.

Just pulled the trigger on a Gesshin Heiji Semi-Stainless -240mm... I blame you!

Back