Electric sharpener vs stones pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ModRQC in another thread said German knives are good for sharpening practice, so I took that as my cue for today’s practice session. For reference I had been using an electric knife sharpener on my Wusthofs for about 20 years (Chef’s Choice brand). The sharpener actually works pretty well and hasn’t removed a significant amount of metal, and gets knives sharp enough to cut paper albeit with a coarse feel. Also I got tired of using a loupe, so I got myself a freestanding magnifying glass. Big magnifying glass = photo-op.

Probably goes without saying, but I consider myself a total noob. Here’s the Wusthof’s edge from the electric sharpener; it’s CrMoV steel.
2D18C3E4-FF35-4CDC-B893-3F8C4A64B8EC.jpeg

I thought I might need to use my shapton glass SG500, but decided to start with the SG1000. Below is a pic after just a few minutes on the 1k with hardly any pressure, it’s crazy how much smoother it got with very little effort. Sharpening was super fast compared to my old VG10 Shun. Not that the Shun is a PITA, but it does take quite a bit longer than the soft CrMoV. As a beginner I’m pretty happy that I nailed the bevel right off the bat, although on closer inspection I was a little less than perfect on the initial curve of the belly and there’s a little wave or two from the electric sharpener that I didn’t get out.
20DF5EED-F6F2-4FED-83D3-6FC5FB71E979.jpeg

Based on advice from this forum I stopped there, stropped it, and called it a day. It’s reasonably smooth through paper now.

For comparison, here’s my Shun after the 4k shapton glass. It’s hard to tell from the image but it’s visibly smoother than the 1k. You can also see some stubborn red sharpie that refuses to come out! The 4k edge on the Shun is noticeably smoother through paper than the 1k edge on the Wusthof.
E09B0AEF-1A3A-487B-8258-149819A34E2E.jpeg

Seeing the edges through the magnifying glass is pretty cool, although probably a 1-trick pony. Next up I need to take a close look at my Shiro Kamo which I’ve only lightly touched with the 4k stone since I got it last month. It’s always both enlightening and frustrating to look up close and see “smooth, smooth, dammit missed a spot, smooth, smooth”. Seems like I always have a bit of trouble with the curve of the belly.

The softer steels are very fast to sharpen imo. i did my brand new fiskars in about 2 minutes. sg500 and then the 4k kitayama. it was like butter.

you can't most likely. but i'm fairly certain its the exact same stone as the imanishi 4k. they come in the same box at least. (without the bester text on it).
mine came in the same white box as this one here on the top of the page (you can enlarge the pic) Japanische Wassersteine: IMANISHI Bester

Yeah, CroMoVa will sharpen faster than VG-10, it's a lot softer. How do the knives work in food? -- cutting paper is all fine and good, but I sharpen my knives to use in the kitchen...

Reminds me that now my Mom has passed and I don't have an endless parade of minimum wage "aides" trashing my kitchen I can sharpen all my knives up. Good project for tomorrow since it will be 15 degrees outside.

For removing sharpies, acetone will work better than ipa but any alcohol should work. Alcohol fuel will also work in a pinch. Vodka works if you have nothing else, but I found fuel to be slightly better. I would wear gloves though. I would try soaking the sharpie marks if they are stubborn. I've used a paper towel soaked in alcohol before. Don't let the towel dry out or it might get harder to remove and make sure to wash off the alcohol with water or it might leave a residue depending on what you're using. Be careful to not get close to flames 😉

If the sharpie still won't come out, you can use different solvents or heat the solvent. Hopefully you won't need to because heating solvents isn't safe at all.

Yeah, CroMoVa will sharpen faster than VG-10, it's a lot softer. How do the knives work in food? -- cutting paper is all fine and good, but I sharpen my knives to use in the kitchen...

Reminds me that now my Mom has passed and I don't have an endless parade of minimum wage "aides" trashing my kitchen I can sharpen all my knives up. Good project for tomorrow since it will be 15 degrees outside.

The Wusthof only gets pulled out once or twice a year for things that makes me stop and think twice with my j-knives. So it probably won’t get used until my next acorn/butternut squash, or until buffalo wing day when I need to split the wings.

The Shun VG10 is interesting - it has that fresh off the stones feel for one or two meal preps. Then it settles into a “reasonably sharp” zone for ages, so it’s almost not worth touching up. But I don’t really use it anymore either so it’s mostly just a board queen these days. It does have some chips that I need to learn how to take out eventually, though.

Thanks for the tips on the sharpie! I just used soap and water but I’ll give acetone a try.

Maybe I should get one of these to soak the knife? Then properly dispose of the solution afterwards?
https://www.amazon.com/Oversized-Extra-Large-Giant-Glass/dp/B00HSO24AA

Properly dispose of the solution beforehand; then you won't bother about the sharpie. Rinse and repeat occasionally.

BTW, seriously, just be careful with acetone and any type of resin impregnated wood, POM and other such materials on the handle. You'd be surprised how fast it will melt it away.

Prefect description of VG-10. Stays working sharp forever, but loses that "razor edge" fairly quickly. I'm quite happy with mine, lets me make paper thin slices of citrus for marmelade.

you can't most likely. but i'm fairly certain its the exact same stone as the imanishi 4k. they come in the same box at least. (without the bester text on it).
mine came in the same white box as this one here on the top of the page (you can enlarge the pic) Japanische Wassersteine: IMANISHI Bester

Apart from the color, would you also say the (Imanishi) kitayama 8000 is the same as the Imanishi bester 8000?

Or are those different? If so, how?

Apart from the color, would you also say the (Imanishi) kitayama 8000 is the same as the Imanishi bester 8000?

Or are those different? If so, how?

dont know. never tried the 8k imanishi nor the kit8k. never even seen on irl. it very well could be i guess.

dont get fooled by colors. white balance of cameras can turn yellow into orange or brown very easily in pics.

this is my kit4k box at least. its 100% pure white in reality. just like the group pic below it.
kit4kbox.JPG

this is the bester 4k box

wasserstein-stapel-1.jpg

2742_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back