Electric vs gas lawn mowers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
When moved in this house over 6 years ago bought a Ryobi electric mower & trimmer so had two chargers & two 40V batteries. I planted more grass to keep weeds down it's like rainforest high up in the valley. If grass got too high the electric mower bogged down had to put wheels high then go over again lower height. I bought a Honda gas mower. Bought ethanal free gas at station one gallon would last me 4 months just doing my yard. Honda oil minimal cost. Always turn off petcock when almost finished so run all the gas out engine cuts out. Don't leave gas in my 2 stroke trimmer either. Both always start up fine almost 3 years. The electric would do my nieces small yard mower was light could lift it into my Subaru Forester to go over the Pali. The batteries won't take a charge any more noticed run time going down then just quit both 40V. Replacement batteries are very expensive in Hawaii & mainland cheaper prices don't ship here. My neighbor has a good size yard He has been using a electric mower less than two years. Already he had to buy new batteries 200.00. Uses two 20V.

Another neighbor I am doing their yard work now. No problem Honda mower & two stroke trimmer mix oil & same ethanol free gas for it. Much cheaper than batteries even with high gas prices. For big yards electric mower can't hold a candle to the Honda.

See California by 2024 will no longer sell gas lawnmowers.

Guess you are comparing apples to oranges, it's the batteries that suck...Most batteries max out at a 1000 or so charge cycles and they dislike deep discharge, an electrical mower on a cord will probably last as long as a gas powered mower (they are a bit of a PITA due to having to avoid running over the cord)

A Honda small motor should last you 10 years if you treat it like your ex gave it to you after you broke up.
😅 like said ethenal free gas, shut off petcock before finish. Honda motorcycles,
Honda automobile maybe V tec engine best ever had in a car. Good gas mileage, power when you need it with 5 speed manual transmission.

I have an EGO battery powered mower that I have used for two years. No issues whatsoever. I have used the battery with a blower, edger and weed whacker. The battery is still going strong.

I use a small old gas tractor with a 48-inch mower on it. You never get tired on it. It is much faster than a push mower. I have a push mower for tight spots.

We have a Ford with a Duratec engine that is holding strong, bought it with 60KKm, and it;s now at 200K without any issue. (oops , that is a Mazda engine)

Last edited:
I have EGO as well for lawnmower, weedwacker, leaf blower and 2 stage snow blower. Can't say enough positive things. I only wish batteries were cheaper.

I have an EGO battery powered mower that I have used for two years. No issues whatsoever. I have used the battery with a blower, edger and weed whacker. The battery is still going strong.
The EGO is a good electric. I bought a EGO blower the battery is strong use it use it yardwork & getting water off my Subaru after wash & prince it. Had it about year & a half expect it to last few more years it will be expensive to replace.

Until I was 35, I used a push mower, until I was 65 I used a self propelled mower, now I have a zero turn to do a half acre. Gas/electric, I don't care, I just want it done quick and get out of the heat and humidity.

I live in N Fl, 5 mi from the Ga line, hotter and more humidity than S Fl, but waaaay less people. june thru Sept is hot, Oct thru May is heaven.

Electric has its place. Usually small places. We’ve been using Husqvarna electrics: mower, trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, on a small property (1 acre) for three seasons with no problems. We only have 3 batteries, so it’s mow and trim one day, blow the driveway and walkways the next. Really nice not having to keep two types of fuel on hand, or contend with temperamental pull start tools.

You can sometimes fix the lithium batteries. Usually it’s that they were run down too low and the chip in them doesn’t have enough power to signal the charger. You can connect a good one to the one that won’t charge by hooking it in parallel to the good one. If you connect it reversed, you’ll need two new ones, not one. Don’t ask how I know. Several YouTube videos on this. I had a greenworks mower and trimmer and probably did this a dozen times.

It's worse here at Lowe's ECO blower, charger & battery is 199.00. the same battery at Lowe's is 249.00. So replacement ECO battery is more than a complete blower system. Same with Ryobi replacement batteries at home Depot. I found batteries much cheaper than the rip off prices here but would not ship to Hawaii. Guess airlines don't want batteries that might catch fire on the plane .

I thought my Ryobi was fine both mower & trimmer. When took on couple yards not enough for the job. Only used it at my nieces house over the Pali easy to lift into back of Forrester. When batteries quit working wasn't worth it to me to pay big box prices.
Got a folding ramp fold handle down on Honda roll it into my Forrester.

Like my ECO blower as long as battery lasts.

You can sometimes fix the lithium batteries. Usually it’s that they were run down too low and the chip in them doesn’t have enough power to signal the charger. You can connect a good one to the one that won’t charge by hooking it in parallel to the good one. If you connect it reversed, you’ll need two new ones, not one. Don’t ask how I know. Several YouTube videos on this. I had a greenworks mower and trimmer and probably did this a dozen times.
I'm going to check this out if it works solves a lot of cost. Doing this with your green works how long did battery charge after your parallel to good one compared to when it was new?

Electric has its place. Usually small places. We’ve been using Husqvarna electrics: mower, trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, on a small property (1 acre) for three seasons with no problems. We only have 3 batteries, so it’s mow and trim one day, blow the driveway and walkways the next. Really nice not having to keep two types of fuel on hand, or contend with temperamental pull start tools.
If you know how to treat small engines esp. Honda even 2 stroke trimmers they will run good for many years. Most problem with starting is leaving fuel for weeks months at a time gumming up the fuel line carb tiny jets.

I'm the one who didn't know about batteries. Doing larger yard would run one battery till it quit & throw the other one in. Since both batteries were taking a charge not a problem until one wouldn't charge anymore.

Going to do more research like I said love my 56V ECO blower. Going to try reboot my 40V Ryobi with the other 40V that still takes a charge. And in the future don't run them till they quit. Have been reading about it would not have known if couple folks on this thread hadn't pointed it out.

If I didn’t have a full set of gas-powered commercial lawn equipment, and a smaller yard, I’d probably go with Milwaukee. The batteries are commonly available and go on sale frequently. The equipment is quite capable too.

It's worse here at Lowe's ECO blower, charger & battery is 199.00. the same battery at Lowe's is 249.00. So replacement ECO battery is more than a complete blower system. Same with Ryobi replacement batteries at home Depot. I found batteries much cheaper than the rip off prices here but would not ship to Hawaii. Guess airlines don't want batteries that might catch fire on the plane .

I thought my Ryobi was fine both mower & trimmer. When took on couple yards not enough for the job. Only used it at my nieces house over the Pali easy to lift into back of Forrester. When batteries quit working wasn't worth it to me to pay big box prices.
Got a folding ramp fold handle down on Honda roll it into my Forrester.

Like my ECO blower as long as battery lasts.
same with printers, cartridges costing more than a new one...

Airlines are fine shipping batteries as long as the right paperwork is completed and some basic rules are followed;
https://www.iata.org/en/publication...-to-know-about-how-to-ship-lithium-batteries/

Back