Embarking on the J-Knife Path

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Just a guy who enjoys cooking at home and a life long knife nut. The majority of the knife passion has been focused on pocket and field type stuff but also the kitchen. I'm a good sharpener but all of my experience is with diamonds, oil, natural, etc. stones. No water stones yet but that is coming soon. I've done a lot with the big-name Western knives but I want 2021 to be Japanese kitchen knife focused.

I look forward to learning from every one.

Thank you.

Welcome. What field knives, western kitchen knives, and natural stones do you currently use?

Thanks all.

Welcome. What field knives, western kitchen knives, and natural stones do you currently use?

Well, for the recreational stuff, if you will, it spans the gambit and there's been a lot of experimentation. In most all things I am a function over form oriented person and my knife preferences reflect that. Spyderco, Buck and lionSTEEL are some of my favorites. But I won't overlook a good Douk Douk and have a pretty broad array. Steels range from 420HC to S90V and a whole lot in between. I love VG10 very limited experience with it over 60 Rc.

The only ZDP-189 blade I have is a Spyderco and it hates me. Maybe due to it's small burr formation or something but it is the one blade that mocks me. I've been able to sharpen everything else I have.

Kitchen fare is predominantly Henckels and Wusthof. I thinned out a Dexter Russell and a Wusthof this past year and I haven't been able to quench the "thin" fire sense.

As for natural stones, I have a deep love affair with Arkansas stones. I love the edge they produce on appropriate steels but I also just love, I don't know, the idea of them. Never tried a Coticule.

I've always viewed Japanese knives and water stones as the "next level" and have admittedly always been intimidated by it all. But I also love the idea of the challenge and the results.

Welcome! I'm in the same boat, I have carried a Leatherman for decades and have a few Benchmades, Buck, Kershaw and some others, and I have some experience with oil stones. I do a lot of home cooking and I mostly use a 10" Wusthof, but I want to get more into both Japanese knives and waterstones. Hope you enjoy it here.

Back