End Grain Boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually they do get a lot more annoying to clean once they get to a certain size and don't fit in your sink anymore. Or for plastic: when they don't fit in your dishwasher anymore. But generally speaking I find that a sacrifice worth making.

Another huge thumbs up for 227wood. I have 3 of his walnut end grain boards. I've owned my main 22x16x2 board for over 5 years and it looks as good as new. No warpage, cracking or other issues (I do use the supplied rubber feet which means I can only work on one side). I just give it a soaking in mineral oil every couple of months. These are truly heirloom quality with a budget price.

Yes he ships internationally but not cheap. Import taxes plus shipping to Germany run around $80 for that board according to Ebay.
Hey sorry to come back to this but I purchased a board 6 days ago from him on eBay and it hasn’t shipped. Is this unusal for him?

Hey sorry to come back to this but I purchased a board 6 days ago from him on eBay and it hasn’t shipped. Is this unusal for him?
He hasn't had much activity in the past month so may be away from his business. Have you reached out and messaged him? His response was always within a day or 2.

He hasn't had much activity in the past month so may be away from his business. Have you reached out and messaged him? His response was always within a day or 2.
Yeah 4 days ago lol. I’ll give it a little more time but would like to have it sooner rather than later.

His prices are amazing so would really prefer to order with him than find someone else

Yeah 4 days ago lol. I’ll give it a little more time but would like to have it sooner rather than later.

His prices are amazing so would really prefer to order with him than find someone else
Well I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the product. Worth a bit of patience.

Sorry, could you expand a little on the features that you prefer in the edge grain over the end grain?
Weight and price mainly for me. I have never tried an end grain cutting board so maybe I am really missing out. But if I were to get one 2.5" thick and as big as I like it would be too heavy for my petite partner to move around so it would not get used much. We split cooking/cleaning duties so we both need to be able to move stuff around. Our largest edge grain ones already don't get used much because they are too bulky to get in and out of the sink. And I am cheap. Edge grain is lighter and cheaper for big real estate. That leaves more money for knives and stones. Most of my knives see regular use on poly boards so edge grain feels just fine for knife edges to me in comparison. And I like to sharpen. So if they dull the knives a bit quicker, that is also a plus. I have five or six edge grain boards in rotation. One of them I have had for about 20 years. It warps and splits a little sometimes. Especially when it gets left in the sink overnight. But stuff like that is pretty easy to fix. And not unique to edge grain obviously. End grain boards can warp too. But in general knives, cutting boards, and whetstones are far less fragile than knife nuts will lead you to believe.

Back