Entry level honyaki to ruin my life

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon me. Wrong thread lol. I meant to post this under knife findings. And I’m referring to the stainless clad not Honyaki.

kippington w2 honyaki at 53mm workhorse grind is a fantastic option
Unfortunately I'm no longer willing to make honyaki with workhorse grinds.

The thickness of the steel obviously has a huge influence over cooling speed during the quench. Trying to get a nice hamon on a thick piece of steel just isn't worth it for me, so I'm only doing laser and work-pony grinds on differentially hardened knives now - stuff at or under 3mm thickness at the spine.
YaAeY9G.jpg

I prefer 5th edition d&d and call of cthulhu. That post was meant to sat hamon thought :-D

Hamon... That word always makes med Hungry, sounds like ham in spanish....

Last edited:
I hear those are overrated anyway, better off looking for other honyakis! (that's how to do it :p) jokes aside thanks
Yeah, I hear Dalman buys them back himself after putting them up, that's why there are never any left. (He's building a fence with them apparently).

Sukenari Honyakis are pretty affordable.
Forged by a japanese, why not ;)

is there anywhere that sells them consistently? I don't even know where to look
I believe CKTG and JCK stock them up occasionally.

Besides Sukenari, there are other makers.
If it's about hamon lines on honyaki, Shiraki and Y.Ikeda one of the better ones base on value.
If you want to invest on a honyaki and decide to sell away years later, you can try investing on a Hiromoto honyaki cuz the maker is very old now and stopped making knives.
Mizuno Tarenjo honyakis are on the heavier and tall side, hamon lines not as beautifully crafted as Shiraki but also one of the reputable ones but compared to Shiraki, I'll choose Shiraki.
Sakai Kikumori brand also carries some honyaki with nice hamon, comparable to Shiraki's.

I was once like you poisoned by the hamon and spirit of knife smithing haha.
After all these, i believe you'll start the poison of JNS.

Last edited:
Isasmedjan is also an option I would suggest. His knives are elegant imod and like so many makers hes a great guy, quick to respond and a pleasure to Work with

I can't tell much about the steel differences, but for my short exprecience Isasmedjan honyaki is a fantastic cutter for the pricetag. I liked the Isasmedjan so much, he is doing a workhorse spicywhite one for me :). Dalman is great too, if you managed to get one, you can't go wrong there.

I can't tell much about the steel differences, but for my short exprecience Isasmedjan honyaki is a fantastic cutter for the pricetag. I liked the Isasmedjan so much, he is doing a workhorse spicywhite one for me :). Dalman is great too, if you managed to get one, you can't go wrong there.
spicy white? as in he got some steel from devin thomas?

spicy white? as in he got some steel from devin thomas?
It is 26c3, and I noticed here few times called spicy white? I don't know any better and I don't know what steel Devin Thomas uses.

Back