Epicurean Edge Sale - Now thru Sat then big Sun/Mon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Just got this beauty as an auto birthday present haha:p
Yoshikane SKD 150mm Petty for $140.

86373_1_x.jpg

other than your blue bunka, did you get anything else this weekend?

I didn't order that bunka. I guess the post does read a bit weird. I was just pointing it out to folks who may be curious about bunkas. I'm already a fan! :)

Truth is, I didn't order anything from the sale. I was extremely tempted by a couple things but right now, I am targeting one specific knife and EE doesn't carry it.

I didn't order that bunka. I guess the post does read a bit weird. I was just pointing it out to folks who may be curious about bunkas. I'm already a fan! :)

Truth is, I didn't order anything from the sale. I was extremely tempted by a couple things but right now, I am targeting one specific knife and EE doesn't carry it.
do tell

Makoto Kurosaki SG2 bunka. I'll be waiting until after the holidays but that's my next target.

I was back and forth between that and a Shibata Koutetsu for ages but ended up getting the Shibata recently. I think the Makotos are more attractive though with the tsuchime and/or ku that he tends to use.

I noticed this morning on EE that the Yoshikane 210 Ktip is now OOS did it go on sale yesterday night?
I’m a bit surprised it took so long for this knife to sell out. It was the cheapest useable SKD Yoshi online. Probably once it’s restocked the price will match other vendors.

I’m a bit surprised it took so long for this knife to sell out. It was the cheapest useable SKD Yoshi online. Probably once it’s restocked the price will match other vendors.

^^ What he said. Those EE Yoshi SKD gyutos have been a not-so hidden gem for a while. I’d expect a price bump when they’re back in stock.

^^ What he said. Those EE Yoshi SKD gyutos have been a not-so hidden gem for a while. I’d expect a price bump when they’re back in stock.
Yea, I'm excited. I'm just wondering if they actually included the 210 Ktip in their cyber Monday sale yesterday night since I passed out.

210 Ktip wasn't on their cyber Monday but that stock was getting low anyways.

Daniel from EE did confirm with me that they won't getting more Yoshikane in future due to price increase.

Never tried the Masamoto carbon, but I have the dragon, Its OK. You get oooohs and aaaaahs from knife newb co-workers. It does look cool, cuz of the dragon. From a performance standpoint, it is nothing special, just a solid factory produced knife.

nothing special about this. I'd rather get the Kurosaki senkou (aka senko) gyuto from MTC kitchen instead for the same price

Tsukiji masamoto from MTC, is it worth trying? how is the steel?

pretty good deal for the 270. thinking about this or misono dragon

https://mtckitchen.com/tsukiji-masamoto-carbon-steel-gyuto-270mm-10-6/

I have 2 Tsukiji Masamoto's in V2 (Had a roomate who had the SK) and they are good no frills knives. The wa-variants that I have are pretty "classic" Gyuto shapes. 240 runs about 5mm long, and about 46mm tall, and the 210 is 215/43. I tend to use the 210 more as a tall petty/line knife, and the 240 like a Gyuji (I like this disgusting word better than "Gyutohiki")

The V2 is nicer than the SK, but honestly probably wouldnt have noticed if they patinated the same, but the SK was more reactive.

I really like these knives, but i found them on BST for very VERY good prices (Thank you KKF!). I for sure wouldnt get them at MTC's prices unless closer to 50% off. IMO i would go for one of the Western Goko in SK, or the obvious Misono carbon.

Thanks for the good advices on this one. I’m looking to try out a basic carbon 270 gyuto. The dragon is somewhat appealing to me and i like the misono tip. I have very good experiences with masahiro vc but prefer trying some new.

as for the t.masamoto, i will leave it for now. Seems like there are better options around.

nice patina on the SK, thanks for sharing.

Cool profile overall , usually i prefer taller knives so another extra points for the misono\masahiro. they both run about 270*55-54.

one thing i really like about the masahiro, they aren't very reactive. the steel feels similar to aogami super but softer.

I completely agree. While i do not prefer as tall as many here do, where 49-52mm is my preference, these are pretty short. Definitely usable, but usually get more action as a suji at my house.

Never tried the Masamoto carbon, but I have the dragon, Its OK. You get oooohs and aaaaahs from knife newb co-workers. It does look cool, cuz of the dragon. From a performance standpoint, it is nothing special, just a solid factory produced knife.

haha yeah i understand that dragon hype, i do think its look pretty cool.

i don't have higher expectations than a solid factory made knife, although the profile look sweet. its just a try out for my first 270. at the moment i have close to 20 240s' so i want to try something new.

Back