Ergonomics: what parameters makes a western handle 'good'?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this handle alot compared to misono or tojiro westerns..
I like the way it's tapered to hit the palm and fingers.
I don't really fancy those "boxy" kind of western handle, round handle feels more comfortable for my hand for long usage

Attachments

• IMG20191127233048.jpg
    IMG20191127233048.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 77
I like this handle alot compared to misono or tojiro westerns..
I like the way it's tapered to hit the palm and fingers.
I don't really fancy those "boxy" kind of western handle, round handle feels more comfortable for my hand for long usage
The Misono are very different from one series to another. The UX-10 a bit boxy, the Swedish Carbon nicely rounded, the 440 in between, all very comfortable thanks to the Fit&Finish.

My preference with xl hands is for the bigger dimension to be the height of the handle rather than the width. I use that height dimension to judge verticality and give me control to resist twisting. I've tried it several ways and one of my favorite prtotypes is a long tall skinny oval. If the knife gets too much width, like too close to a circle then I feel like I lose some proprioception/fine motor control at full speed.
We should get together and compare notes. I am very curious... maybe we need to get a Boston meetup going.

What do you all think?

Just a comment about the idea of "balance" or the "appearance of balance" noted upthread as well.

The rotational torque around the balance point is a function of lever arm length,
and this is related to where the knife has its mass distributed but is not exactly
about balance around a single desired point, but around distribution of mass
vs rotational inertia.

if your rotational ineria point is your balance point, the levers matter,
which means the lenght of handle not just the handle weight matters,
also the distal taper impacts the rotational inertia, not just the blade lenght,
or the blade mass since taper impacts where along the blade the mass actually sits.

Another analogy could be tang thickness mass or type of wood in a wa handle,etc
also the emoto lenght on something like a KS impacts the handle/handling of the KS
because it legnthens the lever arm of the handle even if it doesn't alter the mass of the wood/horn etc

there is a thread detailing this alot better than my summary somewhere, it was an interesting discussion
probably not doing it justice with this summary.

there is a thread detailing this alot better than my summary somewhere, it was an interesting discussion
probably not doing it justice with this summary.

Any chance you could find/link it?

does anyone else feel that the western handle on Zwilling Kramer chefs is way too thick? I am a big guy (6' 1") and it just felt huge. really wanted to like it but just couldn't...

does anyone else feel that the western handle on Zwilling Kramer chefs is way too thick? I am a big guy (6' 1") and it just felt huge. really wanted to like it but just couldn't...

yeah these are very big and strange imo. not a fan. it feels like they promote the "hammer grip", and no one really use a hammer grip on a knife. all users are in luck though. since there is a gap/height difference between the scales and the steel (on all of them i guess) you need to work on the handle. and then you can thin it down at the same time :) win-win i'd say.
----------------

regarding ergo handles. i made my first 3 handles (2 moras) and 1 mac rehandle "100% assymetric" since i'm right handed.
the moras are kinda shaped as bananas but with a 2mm titanium fingerguard so you can index on this in complete darkness. its very important that your fingers are as close to the cutting edge as possible with work knives imo. and you should be able to get to this grit without looking at the hand/knife.

the mac is kinda gen2 of this. only works for right handed people. dont look too assymetetric in pics but in reality its like a block of legos in the left.
this i think has turned out to be my most ergo handle. i feel that when you choke up near the blade the actual handle make less and less of a difference. the rear 50% could be whatever really.
as long as the area near the "bolster" is thin (for me) and oval and tapering slightly i feel i can get away with whatever really these days.

i made the moras in 2013 and they were my first knives. but i was very proud of them! gave them as gifts to my family. took no shortcuts.

assymetric1.JPG
assymetric2.JPG
assymetric3.JPG
assymetric4.JPG

As a 5'10" guy, I've only handled the ZKramer Meiji handles ones and thought they were absolutely massive. I like the Euroline style ones in my handling (on a 8" and 10" Carbon). But I'm a lefty pinch gripper who can use a d-handle for righty with no issues, so I may not be the best commentator.

I didn’t really read the other post but Michael Rader makes the most ergonomic handle I have ever used by a large amount, specifically his more recent stuff (past 2 years) . It’s sculpted but not crazy faceted like some others and always balanced perfect. I don’t know if there’s a more comfortable handle out there , at least for me

I have a 10" ZKramer Euroline in SG-2 Damascus. Personally, I find the handle really comfortable. No complaints from me on that score.

Back