Espresso at home: worth it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One can make great espresso at home?

• Sure enough!

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Not possible

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

damiano

Reaction score
Since we have had a few coffee threads recently, I was wondering how people here think about making espresso at home. Do you use a Bialetti moka, automatic machine, e61, lever? Or do you think it’s not possible to make good espresso and you can’t be bothered? There are a few vocal baristas who are of the opinion that it’s impossible to make great espresso at home. What say ya?

Pah, poppycock, espresso at home is every bit as good as pro espresso...rather it CAN be every bit as good as pro espresso CAN be.

Faema Urania, Faema Faemina and Cafelat Robot here, but you should rather ask what grinder folks use and what beans as the machine itself does not affect the result as much as Grinder Beans and person operating the machine. 20200908_122602.jpg

Pah, poppycock, espresso at home is every bit as good as pro espresso...rather it CAN be every bit as good as pro espresso CAN be.

Faema Urania, Faema Faemina and Cafelat Robot here, but you should rather ask what grinder folks use and what beans as the machine itself does not affect the result as much as Grinder Beans and person operating the machine.View attachment 96921

This very much. If you don't have the technique down, it will be a bad time even if you have a $4000 rocket, $1000 grinder, and $30/lb beans

While I love talking about coffee, it's futile to suggest coffee/espresso at home isn't as good as shops. Consider this: most, not all, coffee shops employ people that aren't passionate about the nuances of coffee and its equipment. If you have a machine and grinder at home (assuming it's the real deal and not bought at Walmart), you probably are pretty passionate. I'd rather have a cup from the latter.

Maybe I should have added my own set up. I use an e61, Vibiemme Domobar, with a Macap grinder. Typically I’d buy beans along the lines of Hausbrandt, Mokaflor, Passalacqua, Diemme.

Faema Urania, Faema Faemina and Cafelat Robot here, but you should rather ask what grinder folks use and what beans as the machine itself does not affect the result as much as Grinder Beans and person operating the machine.View attachment 96921
I would argue it can be significantly better since at home I have control of the beans, grind and extraction. Helps to have a pro grade espresso maker and grinder. ;)

@Wahnamhong try some fresh roasted beans, as in less than a month from roast date...Koffielab, stadsbranderij Noord, Fascino, plenty available!
I’ve tried some local (for me) Man met bril coffee but have to admit not being overly impressed. Am I missing something? Meanwhile I never tire of Mokaflor. Am I just a conservative Italian espresso drinker?

I’ve tried some local (for me) Man met bril coffee but have to admit not being overly impressed. Am I missing something? Meanwhile I never tire of Mokaflor. Am I just a conservative Italian espresso drinker?
you probably should look for a medium to dark roast as that is the typical Italian roast pattern which is not what most roasters do anymore as it kills the origin flavors of every bean, OR you go with a lighter roast and change your extraction by increasing temperature, grinding finer and dosing less. Going from rustic Italian blends with Robusta (which I hate for their burnt tire taste) to a third wave lightish roast will result in battery acid in the cup.

It’s funny you mention the burnt rubber taste of robusta, as I had this discussion with someone else too.

To me, a good blend with say 20% robusta results in a chocolately, sweetish taste, whereas a 100% arabica I would typically find being too bitter. I’ve tried a lot of Italian 100% arabica melanges including expensive ones but never really warmed to them.

I will try one of the coffees you mention upthread.

while we are at it, I'd like to know how many restaurants serve a decent coffee/espresso...I usually gently decline any offers as I have learnt that at best it's a watery drink made from beans roasted months ago at best by someone who was taught to push 'this button'. Probably need a separate poll...

It’s funny you mention the burnt rubber taste of robusta, as I had this discussion with someone else too.

To me, a good blend with say 20% robusta results in a chocolately, sweetish taste, whereas a 100% arabica I would typically find being too bitter. I’ve tried a lot of Italian 100% arabica melanges including expensive ones but never really warmed to them.

I will try one of the coffees you mention upthread.

play with ratio, weigh grounds going in aim for 14g 30g out in 30-40seconds, play with temperature, pick a nice bean or a blend. Darker Italian blends are what you describe but there is more to be had!

while we are at it, I'd like to know how many restaurants serve a decent coffee/espresso...I usually gently decline any offers as I have learnt that at best it's a watery drink made from beans roasted months ago at best by someone who was taught to push 'this button'. Probably need a separate poll...
Oh we can do it here :) Typically I prefer my own espresso at home over at least 90% of the espresso I’m being served outside. Regardless of venue: from local bar to Michelin starred restaurants.

I'm sure that there are allot of baristas that can do better extractions than me, they do it day in and day out, dial in there grinders every morning, pull as many shots they need to get every thing set for the day. I don't live in LA, Seattle, or NYC, if I did I would probably still do it at home, its a passion just like my knives.
I've got a Izzo Alex Duetto (E61) with a with a Ceado E37 Grinder

I'm sure that there are allot of baristas that can do better extractions than me, they do it day in and day out, dial in there grinders every morning, pull as many shots they need to get every thing set for the day. I don't live in LA, Seattle, or NYC, if I did I would probably still do it at home, its a passion just like my knives.
I've got a Izzo Alex Duetto (E61) with a with a Ceado E37 Grinder
You give them a lot of credit...yeah some higher end coffee houses may, but most places hire Joe off the street. Its not a high paying job, so unless the owner is pulling your shot I wouldn't give them too much credit. Living in NYC or Seattle, your chances for a great shot go up, but random places in small town USA the chances are pretty low.

Yes of course. At home you extract the way you like it. Acidity temp grind etc.
why not just do what I do, buy a genecafe and roast your own greens?

I'm fully manual over here, and far prefer the espresso I am able to pull at home compared to the majority of Cafes here in Boston. (That being said there is great coffee to be had here, and many skilled/knowledgeable baristas)

I use a Cafelat Robot along with a 1Zpresso JE Plus grinder. Using a Stagg EKG kettle I can set everything up, boil water, grind beans, pull the shot, and then wash and put everything away in 6 minutes or less. Not too shabby. On the weekends I use a bellman stovetop steamer so I can froth milk for cappuccinos/lattes/flat whites for the lady and I.

With this set up I want for nothing:
- Doesn't take up much counter space
- Quiet (I pull my first shot at 5am - neighbor's bedroom is right under my kitchen, and my girlfriend is still asleep)
- Quick, with very streamlined workflow compared to some other lever machines
- Little maintenance needed when compared to a traditional espresso machine
- The cost of the Cafelat Robot + kettle + grinder + milk steamer is still less expensive than a fairly entry level espresso machine, and you would still have to add a quality grinder to that. I consider this setup a huge value for the quality of espresso one is able to pull.

There is already a big espresso thread on KKF, but what the hey. Home-brewed is definitely worth it, even if the machine and grinder cost you $10k. Still.Worth.It!

(get a great grinder, and if possible a 'real' espresso machine)

It's a great hobby, and what I find amazing if just how much more there is still to learn.

I have a Cafelat Robot like some others on the forum, and a Niche Zero grinder. Incredible combination. My espresso is better than I can buy at a cafe in most cases.

You guys with the robot. Do you think it can be used successfully in a campervan? Asking for a friend ;)

^ What he said.

@Moooza What color is yours? I have the retro green but wish I could've gotten one of the early aluminum ones. I met Paul, the owner of Cafelat, when he came to Boston a few years ago for SCE.

I have the green too. I love it. Paul seems like a great guy. There may be more aluminium ones on his site eventually. They take much longer to produce with all the manual polishing.

I've sent Paul a couple emails over the last few weeks and never got a response. Has Cafelat shutdown for Covid?

Yes of course. At home you extract the way you like it. Acidity temp grind etc.
why not just do what I do, buy a genecafe and roast your own greens?
Huky 500 roaster here, roasting is great but yet another rabbit hole!

I've sent Paul a couple emails over the last few weeks and never got a response. Has Cafelat shutdown for Covid?
Usually Paul is pretty good at getting back, commerce runs through the cafelatstore though and he temds to be travelling for business regularly

Latest posts

Back