Etiquette of hiding behind a second account and criticizing others for what I do on a daily basis

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by elise88, Jan 12, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 14, 2019 #61

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

ThaFurnace

Thank you corradobrit. I’m looking forward to sharing some details with the community soon.

By the way... If your avatar name is in reference to the car, I owned two in the past... although I have since moved on to other brands. I will always cherish that model.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Jan 14, 2019 #62

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Yes, I owned a VW Corrado SLC for 10 years. Sold it and got a 993, last of the aircooled Porsche's as my fun car. I still have fond memories of that Corrado (the G60 I had wasn't such a fun ownership experience) as I do a Mark 1 GTI I owned in Italy

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. Jan 14, 2019 #63

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

So @daveb is what you are doing acceptable? Rather hypocritical and far more direct than the OP. @Gregmega made a good point, and as a moderator you ought to relinquish yourself from certain discussions

4. Jan 14, 2019 #64

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

No that’s a retarded suggestion. He moderates the forum, not the other way around.

Stonetherapy likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2019 #65

ynot1985

ynot1985

ynot1985

Hmm, he wasn’t moderating.. he was expressing an opinion. It’s a conflict of interest

merlijny2k likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2019 #66

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

I think it's a nice idea that we're friends ... and I've certainly experienced acts of friendship myself through this forum. But the reality is that we are talking about hundreds (if not thousands) of people from around the world mingling here. And in the case of the Ashi Honyaki we're talking about serious money here. Some of us don't have that much money in the bank, others can easily spend that kind of dough on a knife ... every month!

I think its fair to try to sell a knife at the best price. That price has to be determined by the seller. And ultimately by the buyer.

Example: I was recently offered a lot of money for a knife of mine, double what I paid for (I turned it down, but that's a different story). The knife is hard to find, the (potential) buyer didn't want to wait, he wanted it right away. The price he was willing to pay to getting such a knife right away vs. waiting a lot longer to potentially find one was the premium he offered me.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Neither do I see anything wrong with discussing prices in general. What I personally don't like are posts that are clearly crafted to undermine a (specific) sale.

We should be able to discuss topics like "Kato worth the (hype) price". But trying to screw someone because you don't like the price the knife was listed for? And then claiming it's to "protect the buyer"? Come on! Just one scenario where I would hate this to happen

Think about this (fiction of cause)

- Seller needs money, desperately. He's sick, lost his job. He's selling all his assets, including a knife he purchased

- Buyer is loaded. He wants that knife. For him that premium is a drop in the bucket ...

Now someone just comes along and undermines that sale. Maybe even gets a mod to remove the listing or whatever ... How fair is that?

What I am saying: Don't judge ...

lemeneid likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2019 #67

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

And what's your point really?

Let me ask you this: If you were able to purchase the knife for ... say $2500 and I would now offer you $5000, would you refuse and sell it to me for $2500 just because that's what you paid for it?

Bill13 likes this.
  8. Jan 14, 2019 #68

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

That basically would mean he could not participate in the forum, almost at all ...

For Dave as for moderators on most forums, it's something they do voluntarily, without any compensation. They do it because they're passionate about a topic, in this case knives.

If we want truly impartial moderators who do nothing else but moderate the forum, we'd have to have a paid moderator.

merlijny2k, Matus and Dhoff like this.
  9. Jan 14, 2019 #69

Bensbites

Bensbites

Bensbites

Ok, I am going to project and assume certain things here based on my own experience moderating forums.

Moderators do a thankless job because they are passionate about the subject.

Moderators are forum members first, and have opinions too.

10. Jan 14, 2019 #70

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

I always sell at a loss because for me it's never about turning a profit, plus I want regular folk to have an opportunity to try a cool knife.

dreamwalker, Cyrilix, Jville and 3 others like this.
  11. Jan 14, 2019 #71

khashy

khashy

khashy

Congrats on your purchase. Imo, you should view the discussion in this thread from now on as a philosophical discussion rather than one about your specific knife.

I guess what I'm saying is that don't let this or any other thread detract from you enjoying your knife or casting any shadows over your purchase.

Having had the privilege to see a good number of decent blades over the years, I can wholeheartedly say that as far as double bevels go, nothing comes close to the knife you have just gotten - nothing. It is probably too cliche to say, but Ashi-san's honyakis are art. Unfortunately as with most art, it's only really possible to appreciate it fully with first hand experience, something that you will find out very soon.

The rest of the discussion is what the community needs to have, please view it as such.

Congrats again on your new knife.

FoRdLaz, stringer and alterwisser like this.
  12. Jan 14, 2019 #72
    The OP is not a new member, infact it S0real just pretending to be a new member. Odd that he can flip knives all day, but God forbid someone else does it.

Have the balls to post under your own account.

Etiquette my ass

13. Jan 14, 2019 #73

Wdestate

Wdestate

Wdestate

Got emmmm!

14. Jan 14, 2019 #74

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member Supporting Member

The best defense is a good offense :D

(the OP, not bkultra)

15. Jan 14, 2019 #75

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

Offense wins games, defense wins championships .... LOL

16. Jan 14, 2019 #76

pete84

pete84

pete84

Supporting Member

There is no etiquette in B/S/T any longer. Hasn't been for a while.

Timthebeaver and Chicagohawkie like this.
  17. Jan 14, 2019 #77

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

Let’s not overgeneralize. I’ve experienced admirable etiquette from many members. Of course, good deeds aren’t nearly as juicy for threads like this as bad ones.

18. Jan 14, 2019 #78

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

[​IMG]

Corradobrit1 likes this.
  19. Jan 14, 2019 #79

tgfencer

tgfencer

tgfencer

Supporting Member

For whatever its worth to folks, the Giveaways/Pay it Forward subforum only had 8 new unique threads started in the whole of 2018, while the Passaround/Loaners only had 3. It's all good decrying the state of the forum's community, but community is what you make it.

Or maybe we should just build a big wall to keep all the thieves, flippers, and profiteers out of the forum...that will obviously fix everything....;)

As much as I enjoy this forum and most people in it, there are many more important things in life to worry and obsess over.

Matus likes this.
  20. Jan 14, 2019 #80

Jville

Jville

Jville

We must protect the flipper. Don't hurt anybody 's feelings by criticizing a price... In a true free market criticizing prices would be part of market regulation. If a customer goes to a burger place and eats a $14 burger that wasn't cook properly, tasted bad, got sick, and complained publlically saying place x really sucks their burgers are overpriced. No one screams out you can't criticize a burger places prices, if someone is willing to eat their that's on them. If they get E.coli that's on them.

idemhj, Xenif, Matus and 3 others like this.
  21. Jan 14, 2019 #81

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

Yup, been a slow transition downhill since the “In the kitchen” blowup. Been just stupid since 2017 though. Remember the days when you could just order direct from most manufacturers? Ugh....

22. Jan 14, 2019 #82

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

There was a blowup?

I guess I was hibernating

23. Jan 14, 2019 #83

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Yeah, I must have been sleeping too......

24. Jan 14, 2019 #84

nakneker

nakneker

nakneker

Supporting Member

Congrats ThaFurnace on that knife. It’s stunning and like mentioned above a work of art. I hope share more details and pics when you get it.

25. Jan 14, 2019 #85

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

**** soreal, boot that SOB!

Wasn't there a flipper alert thread around here somewhere?

26. Jan 14, 2019 #86

Bwana

Bwana

Bwana

On Ebay now, 3-4 guys bought 5-10 masamoto KS each from Korin and trying to sell them for 700-1000 each. I was the leader in one auction at around 450usd but 24 hours before closing they withdraw the knife for it being too few bids and after 1 day relist it again trying to get more money. Sad really

27. Jan 14, 2019 #87

alterwisser

alterwisser

alterwisser

Supporting Member

On the hand I'd agree with you ...

But sad? I don't know ... we're still talking about luxury items here, that no one here really NEEDS ...

There are a lot of things I'd call "sad" in this world, someone trying to make money by selling a knife sure isn't one of them ... just my 2 cents.

lemeneid likes this.
  28. Jan 14, 2019 #88
    alterwisser - I agree, first world problems, but I still want to believe that we can be nicer to each other than that. And I sincerely hope that we are more personal and more courteous than eBay.

I may be a little naive, but KKF was a place that not only turned me to a perfect money pit, but it played a key role in me becoming a hobby knife maker and pursuing that I met more kind, helpful and friendly people than I can count. I am genuinely thankful for that.

Stonetherapy and Cyrilix like this.
  29. Jan 14, 2019 #89

chinacats

chinacats

chinacats

What I find sad is that when trust was a bit stronger here members could try a kato, ks, shig, etc in a passaround and find out for themselves firsthand what the said knife was all about without having to spend stupid money for something they may not like. I know it still goes on behind the scenes here (sharing knives) but I believe the loss of the public passarounds to be the one direct correlation with skyrocketing prices.

alterwisser likes this.
  30. Jan 14, 2019 #90

Cyrilix

Cyrilix

Cyrilix

Alterwisser,

What is your skin in the game here? You are very one sided with your comments, looking to make light of things that others are concerned with. What's the agenda?

If people have concerns and voice them, why do you consistently try to rebuke them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.