Etiquette of hiding behind a second account and criticizing others for what I do on a daily basis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elise88

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was introduced to this forum by someone i met in a knife event sometime ago. I like collecting myself.

Is there a guide to follow in regards to selling a knife here or some things that are frowned upon?

I'm only asking as i noticed an Ashi Honyaki which is offered on Buy/Sell and i know for a fact that it was sold to the seller at under 3k.

Thanks,
L̶i̶e̶s̶e̶ s0real

Last edited by a moderator:
tenor.gif

The "guide" if you will is pretty well spelled out in the BST section. Have you read it?

In summary, tThe seller / owner of the knife may list for whatever he likes. No one is forced to buy. Some haggling may take place via PM if desired. A mutually agreed upon transaction is a good thing for both parties - regardless of price / value agreed upon.

"Flipping" for profit is frowned upon but is within the rules. Remarks such as the one you made are frowned upon and are NOT within the rules. We don't need any self appointed BST police. First time up you'll get a warning, second time you'll have BST privileges revoked without further discussion.

KKF has no interest in the BST section and only provides it as a venue for interested buyers and sellers. Should a misadventure occur it is up to the parties involved to resolve it. Such misadventures, if they occur, are fair game for other sections of the forum.

Don't Bogart that popcorn - pass some over to me....

Well, we have seen several sales where the item was being offered for more than the seller got it for. Flipping is largely frown upon, some would buy stones from auction sites and when finding a good one selling it for considerably more than what they payed. Sometimes value of certain knives appreciated over time. To my knowledge there are no official rules. The market here is driven by supply and demand. Only if someone would start to abuse the system too much mods would at some point step in as we have vendors here and they pay quite some fees to be able to promote and offer theirs products here.

I was wondering when I saw that Ashi gyuto as the price was more than anything I have ever seen to come out of Japan. It is also super rare, so maybe the seller was trying to see whether the demand is that high.

Im happy that there is few shigs and katos that havent sell at BST.
Maybe the craziness has come to an end.

Those are good knives, but not that good for everyday users.
Now those have been more of collector items and trophies.

Im happy that there is few shigs and katos that havent sell at BST.
Maybe the craziness has come to an end.
Don't think the sellers got the memo. Clinging onto those bubble prices......

IMHO this thread and initial post are borderline violation of the rules and should be locked and/or deleted. But I'm not a moderator. And I have nothing at stake because I've never resold a knife ever and have no plans to, just feel that this is unfair to the folks on BST.

I definitely do not feel that a brand new forum member should jump in and start criticizing others. You trying to save the world? We are all adults here, and we all have internet connections, so the ability to check/ confirm pricing is well within all of our capabilities. The simplest thing to do if you do not agree with a selling price is to not buy the damn knife.

A lot of good information and thoughts here.

"Collector" items go up and down in price for reasons baffling too many. "Fan boys" will fight over a knife and raise prices to stratospheric levels until there is one more knife than buyers who want one. ;)

Occasionally you will find an outlier that was purchased for a low price only to discover it is a highly sought after item worth so much you want to 'flip' it for an average tool which is what you thought you purchased and use the remaining funds for something else.

Scalping is a different topic and frowned upon harshly. :)

When you have a "fan boy" item, and the "fan boys" go away or you discover the hype is unfounded, why wouldn't you try to sell it for what you paid (or overpaid :().

Play in the "deep end of the pool" with 'fan boy' purchases and sooner or later you too will get burned. ;) In the end, enjoy the experience along the way because often that is the only thing of value you get left with.

we have vendors here and they pay quite some fees to be able to promote and offer theirs products here.
Not quite I think.
More like that fee is "pay once".. Currently without tags implying not paying: Stefans handles, devin, burke, burl source, HHH, JNS, Korin, bloodroot, k&s, dikristo, and myself.

I definitely do not feel that a brand new forum member should jump in and start criticizing others. You trying to save the world? We are all adults here, and we all have internet connections, so the ability to check/ confirm pricing is well within all of our capabilities. The simplest thing to do if you do not agree with a selling price is to not buy the damn knife.

I agree with what you are saying. Voting with your wallet is the best way of voicing your opinion in a civilised manner. Will ig buyer, willing seller, imo.

Not that I gaf, but how can it be substantiated that the original sale was x? And does that even matter?

Somewhere out there in the world, there’s a customer who’s ready to burn 5.5k on an Ashi. And a buyer for a 1.2k standard Kato. And worst still, 2.3k for ku Kato shaped like a brick. And as long as those buyers exist, so do the prices requested.

There are lots of other factors, such as currency fluctuations (we are an international forum, after all), supply limitations from some makers, etc. There is no rule about not being able to sell something for more than you paid. Knives from quite a few of the custom makers and high-end Japanese makers resell at a premium due to the long waiting times or because it is almost impossible to get a knife from that maker anymore.

I cannot imagine a world in which no one was allowed/ permitted to sell anything for any more than they paid for it. If you put on that rule, then no one should be allowed to sell a knife for less then they paid, so all stays balanced out.

In this discussion, it seems to me that two issues are being conflated:

1) Is supply and demand economics an appropriate model for trading goods?

2) Should supply and demand economics be practiced in a situation where one side has restrictions on the information that they have available?

FWIW, to my mind, supply and demand economics is the best (?least bad) model we have come up with so far. I certainly don't think that we should put limits on asking price. But to work properly, supply and demand economics does rely on both partes having good information about whatever is being traded. Information assymetry can open the door to people paying much more (or less) than they would if they had good information.

But I hear the call, "caveat emptor" (buyer beware). Indeed they should beware. Part of being aware is having good information. I don't think it's really fair on the one hand to implore the buyer to beware and on the other to restrict their ability to do so by limiting the information that can be shared.

I'm not advocating negative comments in BST threads. But I don't think that people should be discouraged from sharing information about prices in other threads.

I'm not advocating negative comments in BST threads. But I don't think that people should be discouraged from sharing information about prices in other threads.

In an ideal world I would agree. However, in most transactions the buyer doesn't have good information about what the seller paid.

When the car dealer shows you the "invoice" you really don't know what rebates and incentives they got. When you buy anything at retail you don't necessarily know the margin that the manufacturer, distributor and retailer are making. So you do your research as best you can and decide if the price makes sense for you.

Allowing comments on pricing of things in the BST section opens up a whole can of worms including the potential for incorrect or malicious comments and some vicious arguments. So I can understand not wanting to go down that road. Discussing price in general should be OK, so there's a fine line there. It's a tough job to moderate these things and I'm glad I don't have to make up the rules :)

In an ideal world I would agree. However, in most transactions the buyer doesn't have good information about what the seller paid.

When the car dealer shows you the "invoice" you really don't know what rebates and incentives they got. When you buy anything at retail you don't necessarily know the margin that the manufacturer, distributor and retailer are making. So you do your research as best you can and decide if the price makes sense for you.

Allowing comments on pricing of things in the BST section opens up a whole can of worms including the potential for incorrect or malicious comments and some vicious arguments. So I can understand not wanting to go down that road. Discussing price in general should be OK, so there's a fine line there. It's a tough job to moderate these things and I'm glad I don't have to make up the rules :)
I agree it's complex and there are no easy solutions.

Don't know about how car dealers are perceived where you are but in Oz, I wouldn't hold a transaction with a car dealer up as a model for fair commerce.

To be honest, it's mindboggling to me how this is such a big topic ...

The owner of a knife (or car, painting, watch etc.) should be able to list it at any price he/she wants!

NO ONE is forced to buy this item at that price.

If someone is willing to pay that price, he/she is willing to pay that price to obtain the item.

That really is all there is to it.

I don't even care if the seller's sole intent is to make a profit with the knife. Who cares? It's a free world and that person OWNS the knife. He/she should be able to do with it whatever the ... you know what ... he/she wants.

The knife mentioned here has not sold at that price. So why is this even a topic. IMHO the only bad etiquette here is post itself. What does the author intend? Is he the previous owner of the knife and sour now that he sold it for less than he could've gotten?

I think the main problem here is that many members feel like this is a community of friends. (Myself included). When these type of sales happen, some wonder "why would you do that to a friend?".

Solution: realize that not everyone here is your friend.

I think the main problem here is that many members feel like this is a community of friends. (Myself included). When these type of sales happen, some wonder "why would you do that to a friend?".

Solution: realize that not everyone here is your friend.
Well put.

In a free market sellers can set whatever prices, but shouldn't buyers also be able to openly discuss prices?
Fair if done outside a FS listing. Discussion of pricing trends should not be taboo. This thread is skirting the edge of what should be permitted though IMO

Jokes aside, since this is outside of the FS listing I'm curious to what were the most recent prices that ashi honyaki gyutos went for?

I think the better question is where is there another example of the said knife for sale for cheaper, or for sale at all. I don't know of another available anywhere at any price. Please let us know if you have an outlet for these at 50% of the asking price. I'm sure MANY here would be interested to know. If you have the only one available for sale, you can ask whatever you want. It doesn't mean you will automatically get what you are asking. If you own it, you can set the price. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but I'm not going to begrudge someone getting maximum value for a very rare luxury item. It's not like he's selling a Wusthof.

Fair if done outside a FS listing. Discussion of pricing trends should not be taboo. This thread is skirting the edge of what should be permitted though IMO

How? Why? I saw you echo this sentiment earlier and I’m wondering exactly what you mean by this..

Last edited:
I don't see how that's the better question. I want to know what are the recent prices so when one becomes available for sale can make an informed decision. By making past sale prices a secret how's that a fair free market?

I've temp closed the thread until I have a chance to read it completely and check for duplicate accounts as each member is to have only one account. I see the beginning post was by one using a duplicate to a banned person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back