Etiquette of hiding behind a second account and criticizing others for what I do on a daily basis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Past sale threads still exist. Do some research, though I don't know what difference it makes on such a rare item that has been listed on this forum only a handful of times. I bought a used Kato 5 years ago for $350. That is meaningless if I want another one today.

I don't see how that's the better question. I want to know what are the recent prices so when one becomes available for sale can make an informed decision. By making past sale prices a secret how's that a fair free market?

I would think this particular knife is custom ordered. I remember seeing this and another with same handle but shorter (I think) on KKF a few years ago.
Hard to know retail value without getting quote from source or go-between. There are a few listed here of various lengths but none that I've found with that incised kanji.
https://www.razorsharp.com.sg/ashi-hiroshi-ashi-hamono.html

At this point flipping and profiteering is inevitable on the forum I suppose but at the very least we should be able to point out how lame it is that people do it(both the selling and the buying).
It just gets in the way of discussion concerning actually using knives.

3 - 4 years ago Ashi Honyakis could be had for under a grand quite often. Who knows what the price could bring in a few years from now? 5500 may be a bargain! Then again, if Ashi started making them again the value would plummet. Ya just never know.

I think the main problem here is that many members feel like this is a community of friends....

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/

Who doesn't love a good pricing thread. We would never have been the wiser to Riverie's selling shenanigans. $200 for those blades was a genuine bargain.

this was the one that Jon sold (from what I know, this went to soreal and then onto to Andreu which is on BST now)

It's not the same one as the one sold by Razorsharp. It's only in the ones that popped up a few months back that have stamped Kanji. These went for 2.5k-3k depending on who you asked.

I had the pleasure of visiting Jon's restaurant a few months back. I almost fell off my seat when his executive chef told me his ashi honyaki gyuto was purchased years ago for $150-$200. It's his "beater" knife when he does not want to risk chipping his single bevel stuff

Deja vu is strong with this thread.

Personally, I sell an item at what its value is to me, sometimes that's less than what I paid, sometimes not. If the buyer agrees with that value, I sell it. If not, I either negotiate to an agreement, or I don't sell. Seems simple enough. It takes two to make a baby, as the saying goes. Occasionally, if its a friend, a longstanding forum member, or sometimes when I'm just feeling jolly, I'll give an additional discount.

I have two basic principles. One, I'm honest in my sales thread descriptions about the items, their condition, etc, and in reply to people who reach out with questions. Essentially, I do my best to help people make an informed decision. And two, I don't take advantage of newcomers. If they still want to buy once they fully understand what they are getting themselves into with their potential purchase, then that's their choice.

If Ashi was $5500, it might actually be wiser to start collecting tamahagane tantos made by professional swordsmiths.

The knife has stag handles.
The composition of stag horn is almost identical to Unicorn.
Try to find another one...

Whenever I see all these rare "BNIB" knives show up my first thought is that it was only purchased for the purpose of flipping. When so many of us try for months to years trying to get a hold of these knives from retailers and friends, it's obvious what's going on when so many show up new on B/S/T.

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/

What’s the difference between waiting in a line for hours and hours to have the opportunity to buy a nice knife at a discount, and/or winning a knife off of a 20$ a ticket raffle? If you won the raffle ticket on a 1k knife, is it only worth 20$? Or Dave, how about standing on a cold street in TriBeCa from 6:30 in the morning, and still be back a load of people in the line, not to be let in until late afternoon? Not worth the time it took? Would t really call that ‘profit’.

Also would love to know who the OP actually is. Funny how that projection thing works, innit?

I think the main problem here is that many members feel like this is a community of friends. (Myself included). When these type of sales happen, some wonder "why would you do that to a friend?".

Solution: realize that not everyone here is your friend.

+1. I think Soreal made many people realise this (I for one am. I used to hate flippers but now I just accept it as a part of things) and from that point onwards everything went haywire on BST. If you track the price rises, most of them happened in 2018 (when I say most, I mean the outlier prices). If these people aren't really my friends, I might as well make the most of it for myself. I still offer deals for friends but only in private.

People can diss the prices all they want but at the end of the day, you still need to be good or persistent enough to find them in the first place. Treat that as the reward for their hard work.

It's very interesting to see how this turns out. I have previously tried to purchase this particular knife from the previous owners and I have no other information other than how much the previous owners are selling/sold it for. I'm only asking as that was the price provided to me not too long ago and seeing how it has jumped to twice the price makes me wonder.

I have been mulling over whether or not to reply to this thread. I generally value my discretion and anonymity, but it has really spiraled out of control, so just a few thoughts:

I just purchased this knife from Andreu yesterday.

Like anyone else contemplating this kind of purchase, I did my due diligence and research, including the thread both corradobrit and dwalker referenced above. I feel I’m a savvy and fair buyer.

I’m also happy to say that he and I aligned very quickly to the sales price. I left with a feeling I could have gotten it for a few hundred less than our agreement, and I’m sure he felt he wanted a few hundred more than our agreed price. The market worked relatively well and left a happy buyer and seller. This thread really makes me sad as the buyer, even though I’m still thrilled to have this knife.

I was never offended by his starting (asking) price, so i don’t know why all the hoop-la. If anything, It empowered me to do even more due diligence and market research.

I hope this thread cools off a bit with my offered perspective.

Thank you.

ThaFurnace

Congrats. You now own an unique example of the bladesmiths art. Would love to hear more about it, pics, specs? Ultimately the price will be what someone is willing to pay and glad to hear both seller and buyer aligned their expectations to make the sale happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back