Etiquette of hiding behind a second account and criticizing others for what I do on a daily basis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you corradobrit. I’m looking forward to sharing some details with the community soon.

By the way... If your avatar name is in reference to the car, I owned two in the past... although I have since moved on to other brands. I will always cherish that model.

Last edited:
Yes, I owned a VW Corrado SLC for 10 years. Sold it and got a 993, last of the aircooled Porsche's as my fun car. I still have fond memories of that Corrado (the G60 I had wasn't such a fun ownership experience) as I do a Mark 1 GTI I owned in Italy

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was introduced to this forum by someone i met in a knife event sometime ago. I like collecting myself.

Is there a guide to follow in regards to selling a knife here or some things that are frowned upon?

I'm only asking as i noticed an Ashi Honyaki which is offered on Buy/Sell and i know for a fact that it was sold to the seller at under 3k.

Thanks,
Liese

The "guide" if you will is pretty well spelled out in the BST section. Have you read it?

In summary, tThe seller / owner of the knife may list for whatever he likes. No one is forced to buy. Some haggling may take place via PM if desired. A mutually agreed upon transaction is a good thing for both parties - regardless of price / value agreed upon.

"Flipping" for profit is frowned upon but is within the rules. Remarks such as the one you made are frowned upon and are NOT within the rules. We don't need any self appointed BST police. First time up you'll get a warning, second time you'll have BST privileges revoked without further discussion.

KKF has no interest in the BST section and only provides it as a venue for interested buyers and sellers. Should a misadventure occur it is up to the parties involved to resolve it. Such misadventures, if they occur, are fair game for other sections of the forum.

Don't Bogart that popcorn - pass some over to me....

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/

So @daveb is what you are doing acceptable? Rather hypocritical and far more direct than the OP. @Gregmega made a good point, and as a moderator you ought to relinquish yourself from certain discussions

I think the main problem here is that many members feel like this is a community of friends. (Myself included). When these type of sales happen, some wonder "why would you do that to a friend?".

Solution: realize that not everyone here is your friend.

I think it's a nice idea that we're friends ... and I've certainly experienced acts of friendship myself through this forum. But the reality is that we are talking about hundreds (if not thousands) of people from around the world mingling here. And in the case of the Ashi Honyaki we're talking about serious money here. Some of us don't have that much money in the bank, others can easily spend that kind of dough on a knife ... every month!

I think its fair to try to sell a knife at the best price. That price has to be determined by the seller. And ultimately by the buyer.

Example: I was recently offered a lot of money for a knife of mine, double what I paid for (I turned it down, but that's a different story). The knife is hard to find, the (potential) buyer didn't want to wait, he wanted it right away. The price he was willing to pay to getting such a knife right away vs. waiting a lot longer to potentially find one was the premium he offered me.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Neither do I see anything wrong with discussing prices in general. What I personally don't like are posts that are clearly crafted to undermine a (specific) sale.

We should be able to discuss topics like "Kato worth the (hype) price". But trying to screw someone because you don't like the price the knife was listed for? And then claiming it's to "protect the buyer"? Come on! Just one scenario where I would hate this to happen

Think about this (fiction of cause)

- Seller needs money, desperately. He's sick, lost his job. He's selling all his assets, including a knife he purchased

- Buyer is loaded. He wants that knife. For him that premium is a drop in the bucket ...

Now someone just comes along and undermines that sale. Maybe even gets a mod to remove the listing or whatever ... How fair is that?

What I am saying: Don't judge ...

It's very interesting to see how this turns out. I have previously tried to purchase this particular knife from the previous owners and I have no other information other than how much the previous owners are selling/sold it for. I'm only asking as that was the price provided to me not too long ago and seeing how it has jumped to twice the price makes me wonder.

And what's your point really?

Let me ask you this: If you were able to purchase the knife for ... say $2500 and I would now offer you $5000, would you refuse and sell it to me for $2500 just because that's what you paid for it?

Hmm, he wasn’t moderating.. he was expressing an opinion. It’s a conflict of interest

That basically would mean he could not participate in the forum, almost at all ...

For Dave as for moderators on most forums, it's something they do voluntarily, without any compensation. They do it because they're passionate about a topic, in this case knives.

If we want truly impartial moderators who do nothing else but moderate the forum, we'd have to have a paid moderator.

Hmm, he wasn’t moderating.. he was expressing an opinion. It’s a conflict of interest
Ok, I am going to project and assume certain things here based on my own experience moderating forums.

Moderators do a thankless job because they are passionate about the subject.

Moderators are forum members first, and have opinions too.

Congrats on your purchase. Imo, you should view the discussion in this thread from now on as a philosophical discussion rather than one about your specific knife.

I guess what I'm saying is that don't let this or any other thread detract from you enjoying your knife or casting any shadows over your purchase.

Having had the privilege to see a good number of decent blades over the years, I can wholeheartedly say that as far as double bevels go, nothing comes close to the knife you have just gotten - nothing. It is probably too cliche to say, but Ashi-san's honyakis are art. Unfortunately as with most art, it's only really possible to appreciate it fully with first hand experience, something that you will find out very soon.

The rest of the discussion is what the community needs to have, please view it as such.

Congrats again on your new knife.

I have been mulling over whether or not to reply to this thread. I generally value my discretion and anonymity, but it has really spiraled out of control, so just a few thoughts:

I just purchased this knife from Andreu yesterday.

Like anyone else contemplating this kind of purchase, I did my due diligence and research, including the thread both corradobrit and dwalker referenced above. I feel I’m a savvy and fair buyer.

I’m also happy to say that he and I aligned very quickly to the sales price. I left with a feeling I could have gotten it for a few hundred less than our agreement, and I’m sure he felt he wanted a few hundred more than our agreed price. The market worked relatively well and left a happy buyer and seller. This thread really makes me sad as the buyer, even though I’m still thrilled to have this knife.

I was never offended by his starting (asking) price, so i don’t know why all the hoop-la. If anything, It empowered me to do even more due diligence and market research.

I hope this thread cools off a bit with my offered perspective.

Thank you.

ThaFurnace

The OP is not a new member, infact it S0real just pretending to be a new member. Odd that he can flip knives all day, but God forbid someone else does it.

Have the balls to post under your own account.

Etiquette my ass

Got emmmm!

Got emmmm!

voqJvL.gif

For whatever its worth to folks, the Giveaways/Pay it Forward subforum only had 8 new unique threads started in the whole of 2018, while the Passaround/Loaners only had 3. It's all good decrying the state of the forum's community, but community is what you make it.

Or maybe we should just build a big wall to keep all the thieves, flippers, and profiteers out of the forum...that will obviously fix everything....;)

As much as I enjoy this forum and most people in it, there are many more important things in life to worry and obsess over.

We must protect the flipper. Don't hurt anybody 's feelings by criticizing a price... In a true free market criticizing prices would be part of market regulation. If a customer goes to a burger place and eats a $14 burger that wasn't cook properly, tasted bad, got sick, and complained publlically saying place x really sucks their burgers are overpriced. No one screams out you can't criticize a burger places prices, if someone is willing to eat their that's on them. If they get E.coli that's on them.

There is no etiquette in B/S/T any longer. Hasn't been for a while.
Yup, been a slow transition downhill since the “In the kitchen” blowup. Been just stupid since 2017 though. Remember the days when you could just order direct from most manufacturers? Ugh....

Congrats ThaFurnace on that knife. It’s stunning and like mentioned above a work of art. I hope share more details and pics when you get it.

**** soreal, boot that SOB!

Wasn't there a flipper alert thread around here somewhere?

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/

On Ebay now, 3-4 guys bought 5-10 masamoto KS each from Korin and trying to sell them for 700-1000 each. I was the leader in one auction at around 450usd but 24 hours before closing they withdraw the knife for it being too few bids and after 1 day relist it again trying to get more money. Sad really

On Ebay now, 3-4 guys bought 5-10 masamoto KS each from Korin and trying to sell them for 700-1000 each. I was the leader in one auction at around 450usd but 24 hours before closing they withdraw the knife for it being too few bids and after 1 day relist it again trying to get more money. Sad really

On the hand I'd agree with you ...

But sad? I don't know ... we're still talking about luxury items here, that no one here really NEEDS ...

There are a lot of things I'd call "sad" in this world, someone trying to make money by selling a knife sure isn't one of them ... just my 2 cents.

alterwisser - I agree, first world problems, but I still want to believe that we can be nicer to each other than that. And I sincerely hope that we are more personal and more courteous than eBay.

I may be a little naive, but KKF was a place that not only turned me to a perfect money pit, but it played a key role in me becoming a hobby knife maker and pursuing that I met more kind, helpful and friendly people than I can count. I am genuinely thankful for that.

What I find sad is that when trust was a bit stronger here members could try a kato, ks, shig, etc in a passaround and find out for themselves firsthand what the said knife was all about without having to spend stupid money for something they may not like. I know it still goes on behind the scenes here (sharing knives) but I believe the loss of the public passarounds to be the one direct correlation with skyrocketing prices.

Alterwisser,

What is your skin in the game here? You are very one sided with your comments, looking to make light of things that others are concerned with. What's the agenda?

If people have concerns and voice them, why do you consistently try to rebuke them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back