Etiquette of hiding behind a second account and criticizing others for what I do on a daily basis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
**** soreal, boot that SOB!

Wasn't there a flipper alert thread around here somewhere?

I set his post count back to one and removed his ability to Sell. He can earn back the right just like any other member. Lets call it a second chance. I will ban the puppet account shortly, I was hoping for a reply first.

What I find sad is that when trust was a bit stronger here members could try a kato, ks, shig, etc in a passaround and find out for themselves firsthand what the said knife was all about without having to spend stupid money for something they may not like. I know it still goes on behind the scenes here (sharing knives) but I believe the loss of the public passarounds to be the one direct correlation with skyrocketing prices.

Even passarounds of less expensive knives ($200-$300) would be welcome imo. I'll start one once I have a reasonable knife that I'm not actively using---currently, I have to sell one if I'm going to buy one so my collection is all on my mag strip. Anyway, probably many of you have already tried most of the standards in that price range, but I imagine those that haven't would appreciate a passaround.

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/

Well **** @daveb lucky you got one at cost ;-P

But seriously... I don't really understand why we can't post pricing information or origin of the knife if it's notable.

RE the Korin knives - if it was part of the promotion at the Korin event, it is notable information that should be available to the seller. Free markets work better when buyers have complete information. Other members of this forum should be free to share their knowledge if a user is withholding relevant information about something they're putting up on BST.

PS. As for the user "Greg" who is either misremembering what the Korin event was like or wasn't even there, nobody "waited in line for hours" at 6:30. I showed up at 10am to an empty Korin, got my ticket, went to lunch, watched the sushi demo for about an hour and then bought a knife and left. If you consider watching a sashimi demo with a celebrated Japanese chef a chore well...

Last edited:
I hope no one is loosing too much sleep over this.

Outside of a small number of old timers whom I consider myself lucky to have met and passed around Ashi's, Kato's, Burke, etc without even knowing each other in person. The community ship has sailed - we just too big a crowd now and some rats are bound to creep in.... And also, we do live in a capitalist economy so unless you want your assets' value controlled we have to accept it as part of the deal, doesn't mean we have to like it I guess.

Still a good forum outside of the dreaded but much visited BST

Last edited:
Alterwisser,

What is your skin in the game here? You are very one sided with your comments, looking to make light of things that others are concerned with. What's the agenda?

If people have concerns and voice them, why do you consistently try to rebuke them?

It’s called a discussion .... I’m voicing my opinion just as you are voicing yours.

No skin in the game, other then believing that one should be able to do what he wants with his property ....

What I find sad is that when trust was a bit stronger here members could try a kato, ks, shig, etc in a passaround and find out for themselves firsthand what the said knife was all about without having to spend stupid money for something they may not like. I know it still goes on behind the scenes here (sharing knives) but I believe the loss of the public passarounds to be the one direct correlation with skyrocketing prices.

I remember that an old member (I don’t think he’s active anymore) sent me a Shig to try, just like that .... blew me away!

Yeah, I offer people stuff to try all the time and vice versa. There’s plenty of trust among people here that know of other people with good character.
Trusting people in general is how knives started “disappearing” in the first place.
I actually like newer passaround activities that are done privately or in my case where Members are properly vetted.
If you want to participate you have to demonstrate that you’re a decent human being and contribute the forum in ways besides flipping Fujiyamas or whatever.

I once loaned out a shig to a complete stranger and he sent me a Kochi and we sent knives back after two weeks, went perfectly smooth. But this was a time before sketchy people got loose into the yard..

Alterwisser,

What is your skin in the game here? You are very one sided with your comments, looking to make light of things that others are concerned with. What's the agenda?

If people have concerns and voice them, why do you consistently try to rebuke them?

Alterwisser and I have completely different views on this but he is a man of character who plainly states how he feels. As members I like to think we all have some skin in the game.

Part of the reason I hang around is I see it as a community of gentlemen who generally comport themselves as such. This instance is a shake my head kind of thing but it's withing the rules. Interesting that the OP who threw the first stone appears to be a known and ostracized "flipper" re-emerging from the past.

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer. I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit. It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-bnib-single-bevel-knives-pt1.39923/#post-589558
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/4-great-single-bevel-bnib-knives-pt2.39924/
Dear Dave,

It’s such a sad, and unfortunate these things happen between us. I had nothing but a nice smooth and pleasant transaction with you in the past. I know you bought knife/knives and wood from me through BST with no issues, and we even talked a bit through PM. Yesterday you spit on my face in this open public discussion, slamming my sale thread, although you clearly said “It’s within the rules” and I didn’t violate any rule. However I reached out to you politely, and nicely this morning through private message to find out why you did that, and clarify everything, since I believe that’s the proper way to do when you’re adult and mature, before I said this in public. I know you’re online this noon and read my message, I never heard back to you, you might be busy and have no time to answer. And I’m totally fine…..I don’t judge and never claimed that this is kind of “hit and run”. However I want to clarify this….

Much more egregious to me are Riverie current WTS posts for the two Suisin Yani's. These were recently purchased from Korin as part of a Suisin promotion. $200 each, limit one per customer.

You’re absolutely right!!! Came at 6.30am in nyc cold weather, hoping lucky enough to able to pick the knife I wanted, because it was such a limited quantity. 1-2 for each blade on certain type including my doi, and won’t be able to pick up the knife after 2PM.

I don't like to ascribe motives to anyone but it seems to me that these were purchased from Korin with the intention of flipping them on this forum for 4X profit.

I collect Doi and love his knife. Anyway, someone’s intention or motif shouldn’t be your concern. Making profit …. Why not if it’s still within the common sense price??? If I sell that knife back at $200 that means:

1. I have no clue the real value of that knife

2. I’m a charity

3. I’m idiot, stupid or dumb

4. Crazy

I’m a longtime member here… matter in fact Dave Martell invited me here because I was a member of original knife forum KF before it split. I value the meaning, and integrity of this forum as a media to share our hobby, respect the core of enjoying this knife addiction, without hurting nor taking advantage from new or other member. Trust me on this…I’m not that kind of person. That being said, I won’t and never trying to ripping off someone from my sale. I did my homework before I posted price on my knife based on the value in the market, price from vendor, condition of my knife to make sure I’m being fair. That Doi hayate with same specs and length will cost you $1200 in korin, not including tax. You can check that also before you attacking me. Now am I greedy and a bad guy for selling it for $800 in a same BNIB condition ????

If you still not happy with 4X from original price, I have a nice propotition for you. Buy a lottery ticket for $20, and when that ticket hit the jackpot, I want first dibs…I will not pay you 4X, I will pay you 400X cash!!! Moral of story is, the original price of the stuff you bought from doesn’t really always show the real value when you’re trying to sell it. I sold my tatsuo for $1.7k because that’s how I valued them (buyee japan sold it for way over $2k). I sold my new ichimonji hamokiri for $325 because that’s how I value them ( new from ichimonji is $700), and the list goes on…

It's within the rules, but bad form and an abuse of both our sponsoring vendor and the bst subforum.

I bought the knife legally, legit, clean and square. No lowballing, no force in any harmful way. Korin said the price is XXX, I paid XXX with tax, and transaction fulfilled. I’m sure whatever I want to do with the knife after, won’t abuse korin. I could do whatever I want to do with it, selling it for 400000X or even burned it to the ground. I also sold many knives here. I saw many times the member that bought my knife from, resell his for hundreds dollar more….I’m totally fine with it. It’s his knife and I’m happy he could sell it to new owner that could enjoy the knife.

In term of you’re saying I have a bad form? Please elaborate more….My sale and thread were honest, term was clear, no hidden cost, pictures also real without any retouching or photoshop, price is there for potential buyer to check and see how much they cost outside, always replying pm for any questions regarding the sale…..what did I do wrong? Like you said I didn’t violate any rule .

On the other hand, you as moderator, you didn’t try to discuss your objection of my “egregious” act in private message. Yet you’re attacking me with those kind of judgments, profiling, and labeling in public. If anybody violating rules here….It was you!!!

“Remarks such as the one you made are frowned upon and are NOT within the rules. We don't need any self appointed BST police. First time up you'll get a warning, second time you'll have BST privileges revoked without further discussion.”

“KKF has no interest in the BST section and only provides it as a venue for interested buyers and sellers. Should a misadventure occur it is up to the parties involved to resolve it. Such misadventures, if they occur, are fair game for other sections of the forum.”

Feel free to ban me if you’re thinking my statements here are offensive and inappropriate. I also want to apologize to other member that got offended with my clarification and BST thread…..because clearly Daveb got offended.

One time at band camp...
th

This got weird. Not the least because I actually just read that...

If you asked me 2 years ago that I'd sit on my computer on a Monday night reading a 2000 word essay trying to justify the author's selling behaviors on a kitchen knife forums I'd have laughed in your face.

Thanks sir, appreciate it!

Hope winter isn’t too harsh for ya....

Winter has been mild compared to last year but we're expecting an arctic blast w/ a bit of the white stuff. Time to break out the snowshoes:)

DaveB - there is no excuse here - so just come out and apologise and say you were wrong - that’s all we expect .....no less no more

It is weird that I have to explain my motives buying knives and explaining my asking price. But what's even weirder is that nasty, unclassy acts, and accusation coming from a well grown-up moderator

Not sure Dave needs to apologize. As to selling 200 knife for 800, I disagree with it but it is within the rules just as Dave stated.

As to getting pissy about being called out, maybe you could've thought to include that tidbit in your sales thread...charge whatever you like but why not fully disclose? Then you look like the man (to some I guess) vs the kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I can name quite a few members here that would've passed on the good deal but as said, no obligation just etiquette.

Not sure Dave needs to apologize. As to selling 200 knife for 800, I disagree with it but it is within the rules just as Dave stated.

As to getting pissy about being called out, maybe you could've thought to include that tidbit in your sales thread...charge whatever you like but why not fully disclose? Then you look like the man (to some I guess) vs the kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Oh Dave definitely no need to apologize!!! He's a moderator and he's always right!!! I did though since I thought that's the proper way to do.

Regarding fully disclose my sale....I'm sorry if I miss that part....next time I'll make sure to type K I Z U N A all in capital.

This got weird. Not the least because I actually just read that...

If you asked me 2 years ago that I'd sit on my computer on a Monday night reading a 2000 word essay trying to justify the author's selling behaviors on a kitchen knife forums I'd have laughed in your face.

A lot has happened here in the last 2 years

Flavored popcorn is awesome..... all kinds, from the usuall caramel to some that are a bit crazier....

There is a place in the Shytown airport that has the most delicious popcorn, its addictive, I will eat the whole bucket...-

Whats it called?

Last edited:
Seem to remember..... but no, cant remember the name, just remember it has chocolate and peanuts, maybe almonds....

;-) damn, whats the freakin name of that joint.... If only I knew how to search using an electronic thingamagig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back