EU passaround- z wear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSC /// Knives

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I’m in London and will be in the EU till mid December. @preizzo has agreed to manage this passaround for me

this is a freestyle knife about 195mm In z wear at 63rc with a katalox handle

Matteo will have the knife early October

the knife has a working belt finish
This is primarily about giving those interested a chance to try the steel

See Matteo for details or he will post and take it from here

I’m looking for honest feedback and reviews. I would like the knife back by the end of the year

Thanks
Harbeer

Attachments

• DABFCA13-4793-4184-9F32-E2F34B4198A4.jpeg
    DABFCA13-4793-4184-9F32-E2F34B4198A4.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 65
  • E21CE492-BD4A-4E8D-93B4-A94B3A3FA917.jpeg
    E21CE492-BD4A-4E8D-93B4-A94B3A3FA917.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 64
  • D6D24BAB-95F9-4CED-A503-8A26EE238860.jpeg
    D6D24BAB-95F9-4CED-A503-8A26EE238860.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Yesss, definitely curious for the details :D

Is there a particular audience you would appreciate feedback from? (E.g. biggest differentiator would be home versus pro probably)

Last edited:
Hi to all you guys.

I will get the knife from harbeer when back from holidays.
Please any who want to be part of the pasaround can send me a pm with his name and country were he /she is living (Europe only)
I will post in here the list of all the participants later .

Ps have a few of his knives and they are awesome.

Cheers Matteo 😊

Very nice, love the elegance of that. Would've been all over this last year.

update -
I'm in France, and Matteo informed he is ready to receive the knife from me.
However there is a delay.

In short, while waiting for @preizzo Matteo to get back home to Sweden, I thought I would make use of the knife and let some chefs try it out in Paris. I gave the knife on Sept 27 to a chef in Paris. I went back few days later to collect the knife and get it to the next chef.....When I got to the restaurant the knife was not available for me to pick up...In short the knife has been lost or stolen.

the chef offered to pay for the knife, I encouraged him to find it for everyone's benefit.
Last night I rec'd a message, to the effect that they checked the security cameras and determined the knife has been stolen, the alleged person was not at work that day... so I wait for an update from the chef.,

Beyond this, I have ordered a grinder here in France, it should be 2 weeks to get it... so I believe I can produce another knife for the pass-around by the end of October.

so stay tuned, I'll update once something significant happens. Either I get the stolen/lost knife back and we get going or I make another one.

regards
Harbeer

Wow that sucks, sorry to hear Harbeer.
Let's hope you get it back and thank you for your efforts.

I am very sad to hear what happened. Fingers cross that the knife gets back to you.

so unemployment goes up by 1 in France, what is someone like that thinking IF they can think at all...'nice knife, I wanna have it'...OK, but steal it? Come on, stay off someone elses stuff and besides; CCTV can not come as a surprise nowadays.

Update.
i have finally been able to complete a new knife for this passaround
It will ship to @preizzo this Friday.
Matteo is handling this passaround

I’m looking for honest feedback and criticism on the performance of the knife, I’m not a guy that gets butt hurt, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it but I’d like to know why

There was a USA z-wear passaround and you can read those comments

Some words on the build. The Koa handle is made entirely from hand tools here in France.
The blade was also ground here in France. I heat treated the blade at home in arizona.

The blade finish is very much a working finish. It’s a medium scotchbrite belt finish. Z wear is highly abrasive resistant and I can only put so much time and effort into a passaround knife given my schedule here in France and I want to get this passaround going. It’s been delayed long enough

FYI, I can do 3 blade finish options on this knife up to a highly polished hand rubbed scratch free finish. But it is very time consuming and requires diamond film abrasives and so I charge for that, a lot.

This is a high alloy tool steel and a stock removal knife. It’s 240 x 50 and 2.4 mm spine and tapering. I favor ease of cutting in my blade geometry vs food separation or sticking.

the edge can get “freakishly” sharp. Everyone’s skills and stones for sharpening are different, if u can’t get the edge crazy sharp, ask for assistance or you are missing out.

since The knife will be traveling a lot I put it in a box that is for another knife. I want that box back. Please don’t tell me that you can’t find the box....

look forward to your feedback on this steel and it’s performance.

SISuVDu.jpg

Attachments

• C14D589E-A9A1-4181-B0D9-6B4B0A89AE76.jpeg
    C14D589E-A9A1-4181-B0D9-6B4B0A89AE76.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20
  • B3E7BE09-CFF0-4E7D-A330-62295A8C5A27.jpeg
    B3E7BE09-CFF0-4E7D-A330-62295A8C5A27.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi to all guys
Finally the knife from harbeer arrived to me in Sweden .
Since long time it gone from the last time I am asking all the members that want to try test this knife to comment in this post so I will noted again. Sorry but been a bit busy with many things lately 😅😅

Let's do it ☺️
Cheers Matteo 😊

Planning to cut on marble all day? What could go wrong! :D

Back